Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lost the will

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
edited March 27 in Work & Study
In the last year or so (or maybe half year) I seem to have lost the will to do work for uni. When I started back in 2004 I was excited about it, even after I'd been there for years and knew what it really was like. It's on a subject I really like so I also had the incentive to keep on learning, and not just the pressure of passing classes.
I don't really know what has changed in the past year. Maybe it's my doubts on whether programming is something I'm really interested in (as I used to think) or just something that I want to do as a hobby. Or maybe it's because of the lots of time we've been missing (long story why, but for a couple of months now uni wasn't working). Or maybe it's something else.
The point is, I've lost the will to do anything about it. I'm tired of the deadlines and the labs and the journey to uni and back, etc. I still like programming, it's just the uni mentality I'm tired of.
Because of the educational system here I'm not really missing anything by this, it's not like I'm in danger of not finishing or anything; it might just simply take longer. But I'm worried that I'm never going to get that will back.

I guess this was more of a rant than anything else...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was going to say, "well, you're nearly finished!" 'till I read the bit about it just taking longer.

you need to try and just get it out of the way, how much longer have you got left if you dont miss any more deadlines?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Replicant wrote: »
    I was going to say, "well, you're nearly finished!" 'till I read the bit about it just taking longer.

you need to try and just get it out of the way, how much longer have you got left if you dont miss any more deadlines?
    It doesn't work like that, it's just the specific number of classes I have to take until the end. If I "miss a deadline" (to hand an exercise, that is) and fail one of them, I can just take it again next semester. And the one after that and so on, until I pass.
    Right now I have 5-6 I've taken and not passed yet, some I have and some I've not taken yet (I don't know numbers). I suppose I'm closer to the end than I am to the beginning.
    As I've just realised (again, I've realised it before and forgot) one other possible reason for losing my will might be that I don't really want to (or really don't want to) graduate yet... Losing the whole "student life" thing sounds like a small death to me, and I don't want to die before I've lived enough (and to be honest, I really haven't -it's not a case of wanting a bigger amount of things I already have, but wanting even a small amount of things I don't).
    I don't know, maybe I'm just spoiled.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    As I've just realised (again, I've realised it before and forgot) one other possible reason for losing my will might be that I don't really want to (or really don't want to) graduate yet... Losing the whole "student life" thing sounds like a small death to me, and I don't want to die before I've lived enough (and to be honest, I really haven't -it's not a case of wanting a bigger amount of things I already have, but wanting even a small amount of things I don't).
    I don't know, maybe I'm just spoiled.

That's completely understandable - life tends to change a lot post uni and I guess most people don't want it to end - well except for maybe the exams and essays ;)

Have you started to plan what you're going to do next? You mention you're not sure whether you'd like to do programming as more than a hobby... it might help to go and see a careers advisor about what other options you could consider. This article on study motivation might also help. :)
    hmm same here, computer science sucks!!
    matty281k wrote: »
    hmm same here, computer science sucks!!
    :no: You don't know what you're talking about!! :p

Helen, I've not planned what I'm going to do afterwards... Not at all really, because I'm afraid of it all. I'll think about career advisors, but I think I nailed the issue, fear of what comes next.
    That page had some things I'll try to do, but the truth is I'm just not ready to get done. If I push myself to do it ASAP anyway, I'm afraid I'll regret it.
    I kind of went thru the same thing on leaving uni. I didn't want things to change and avoided thinking or planning for the future. But boy i regret it now. Burying your head in the sand does work but only in the short term. Once you start making some firm plans for post uni you will feel a lot better (trust me). Your apprehensive because of the uncertainty in your life, remove the uncertainty and you will feel a lot better.

I know you don't feel ready to leave, but unfortunately you have to leave whether your ready or not. Life is like that, just when you get comfortable and settled things change. Tis the way things are can't argue with it just embrace it.

:thumb: