Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should we nationalise the Duke of Westminster?

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote: »
    You miss the point as usual.

I don't think you made a point. (Still constructive as ever though Blag :) ) You gave an example of a probably justifiable case of compulsory purchase. Generally seizing land to fulfil Marxist sympathies is quite different to a government deciding to build a motorway.
    Who mentioned Marx (except you)?

The point is, that the government can compulsory purchase whenever they want. There had been local opposition to the M11 link road for years. Didn't count for shit in the end. Do you think the government would get away with compulsory purchasing the Duke of Westminster's land for a pointless road?
    Do you think the government would get away with compulsory purchasing the Duke of Westminster's land for a pointless road?

A lot of people would not call the M11 link road pointless. (But, I suppose it gave some unemployed squatters too lazy to get a job something to protest about).

As I said before, I don't think Mayfair needs a motorway link road so I've no idea if the government would make a compulsory purchase of land owned by the Duke of Westminster in Central London. Of course he's a lot more influential than a typical person owning a bit of land but if the govt decided to build an RAF base or something somewhere in Scotland on land he owned I wouldn't be surprised if the government resorted to a compulsory purchase as a last resort...
    Who mentioned Marx (except you)?

The point is, that the government can compulsory purchase whenever they want. There had been local opposition to the M11 link road for years. Didn't count for shit in the end. Do you think the government would get away with compulsory purchasing the Duke of Westminster's land for a pointless road?

Better not let Aladdin know this - he wants us to follow France and build railways whatever the cost....

and as a matter of fact we have compulsory purchased large tracts of land from big landowners to build roads - not all motorways go through working class back gardens.
    A lot of people would not call the M11 link road pointless. (But, I suppose it gave some unemployed squatters too lazy to get a job something to protest about).

A lot of those "unemployed squatters" were local people, including Dolly, a 90 year old woman who had lived there all her life. The road was first proposed in 1900 and had strong opposition then.

Find out about something before shooting your mouth off about it, you'll look less foolish.
    As I said before, I don't think Mayfair needs a motorway link road so I've no idea if the government would make a compulsory purchase of land owned by the Duke of Westminster in Central London. Of course he's a lot more influential than a typical person owning a bit of land but if the govt decided to build an RAF base or something somewhere in Scotland on land he owned I wouldn't be surprised if the government resorted to a compulsory purchase as a last resort...

You think? How naive.
    Better not let Aladdin know this - he wants us to follow France and build railways whatever the cost....

and as a matter of fact we have compulsory purchased large tracts of land from big landowners to build roads - not all motorways go through working class back gardens.

Big landowners have much more political clout and can get routes changed and negotiate better deals. As you well know.