Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

grandparents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My grandparents live in Hull (I always have to mention that this is JsT's fave place at this point). Today my mum told me that both my gran and grandpa are 87. I was like woahhhhh! I know they are my grandparents but they seem pretty youthful to me and always make a fuss of me when I go over. Going to see them this summer which I can't wait for because I only see them once or twice every two years.

How old are you grandparents and what is your relationship like with them?

Just interested!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    late 70s and excellent. my gran and grandad helped bring me up because i never had a dad. they spoil me rotten and think im an angel.
    my grandparents on my mums side are very strict and have sharp morals, don't always see eye to eye

my grandparents on my fathers side are wicked they are such a giggle unfortunately i don't get to see them much

both round the 70s
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    My grandpa is 90 this year, I think. And my grandma must be a few years younger.
    The other two don't live.

We get along pretty well I think, although they can both be very annoying at times. My grandma panics at the slightest things (which my mum does too). Also last year my brother said that they told him something which made me lose a lot of respect for them...
    They just live on the next block, not 3 mins away, but I rarely go see them nowadays... Shame really.
    I've only got 1 grandparent left, my Grampa, he's 88 and cant remember who I am.
    My Grandma (only one left :( ) is 83, and she's awesome.

I'm her oldest granddaughter (she always wanted a girl, but had 4 boys, and then the older 2 grandchildren were boys too) so she pretty much thinks I'm ace no matter what, and is great for the old ego :heart:
    I only have one grandparent. My mum's mum died when she was 6, and her dad when she was 18. My dad's mum died when he was 11. My Grandad is 81 this year. My dad was relatively young when I was born, made some silly decisions and so my Grandad didn't know I existed until I was a few days old. Add to that mix that I'm a girl and he is an incredibly closed off emotionally old man and subsequently we are not in the least bit close. Sad, but I've never had grandparents, so don't really know what I'm missing.
    Awww, all mine are away.

Didn't know either on my Dad's side. I sort of remember my Granda on my Mam's side, but he died when I was 6.

I got on really well with my Granny though. We were really close, always used to go round hers on a Sunday afternoon and watch the Easties ominbus. She got ill quite quickly though and I tried to help her when she died cause her head was muddled and she wouldn't speak to my Mam or my Auntie Jane. She died in 1999 just before I hit 16, still think back to it quite a bit and sometimes I'm quite annoyed at myself cause I remember her death more than I remember the times when she was alive. I miss having her, sounds a bit cheesy but whenever I'm not sure about where I'm going in my life I think about her and it sort of clears my mind a bit?

Hmmm, time to lay off the wacky baccy a bit maybe.
    I don't have any left :( My Dad's Mum died of breast cancer a few months before I was born and my Mum's Dad drowned years before I was born. It was only when my Mum's Mum died that I actually realised she was alive. I was about 13. My Mum cut contact with her mother when she was young and never spoke about her. I assumed she had died. Never met her despite her actually being alive until I was 13 and lived 10 minutes down the road. The only real reason why I found out is because she died in a house fire and it was in the paper.

I only ever had my Dad's Dad and he died a few years back. He was aged 76 when he died. I miss him lots. Its the third anniversary of his death on Thursday and I'm dreading it :(

I had a really good relationship with my Grandad. I used to spend lots of time with him as a child as he looked after me when both of my parents were at work and babysitted lots at night. He always took me in when things were bad at home too and was always there for me whenever I needed help.

My Grandad thought I was an angel. He had five grandsons but I was his only granddaughter. That always made me feel quite special :heart:

I wish I had time to say goodbye to him and tell him how much I loved him. His death was really sudden :(
    All gone by the time i was 11, though my Gran was a right laugh. Typical convo in her nursing home with some random.

Mr smith - Hello Violette (me gran)

Gran - hello mr smith

mr smith - whos this then

gran - ooo this is my youngest grandson hasn't he grown ?

mr smith - oh he has, and how are you keeping ?

gran - oh not to bad thanks

*mr smith walks off*

gran - thank God he's gone, can't fucking stand him !

:D
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    All gone by the time i was 11, though my Gran was a right laugh. Typical convo in her nursing home with some random.

Gran - hello mr smith

*mr smith walks off*

:lol::lol:

God I have only ever heard my gran swear once and that was 'bastard' when something bad was in the news.
    RubberSkin wrote: »

Gran - hello mr smith

*mr smith walks off*

haha its just like the gran in catherine tate! 'what a faaahcking libertaaay!!' :heart::D
    Don't see my dad's mum (both his dad & stepdad died a few years ago) and haven't done for years.

I get on fine with my mum's parents though.
    My grandma is in her early 60's and my granddad about 65 i think, they have just retired and i'm fairly close to them, get along well with my gran.

My nana i think is in her 70's, isn't in the best of health. My granddad he died when i was about 8 i should say, probably in his early 60's. I'm not as close to my nana.
    Rachael wrote: »
    My grandparents live in Hull (I always have to mention that this is JsT's fave place at this point). Today my mum told me that both my gran and grandpa are 87. I was like woahhhhh! I know they are my grandparents but they seem pretty youthful to me and always make a fuss of me when I go over. Going to see them this summer which I can't wait for because I only see them once or twice every two years.

How old are you grandparents and what is your relationship like with them?

Just interested!

I just have one grandma (motherly side) and I really really do like her. She cooks for us, pulls a leg out for us and lets us always come first. She is a very self-less woman and I try to visit her once in a while and crack jokes with her, because she's usually alone all day long.
    She's 70 now I think (or becoming 70 this year).

It was very tragic when she fell and needed to undergo surgery on her leg, so she is a tad immobile but still healthy in other regards.

She dug my first holiday job up, by asking around who needs an intern :blush:

my grandma is awesome and I wish I could at least give her back half of what she does for us.
    all mine are gone :(
    I've only ever known 1 of my grandparents. The other 3 died within the 2 years before I was born. My grandma was my best friend in a lot of ways and I did everything with her until she died 14 years ago when I was 11.
    grandad is early seventies i think and nan is approaching 70 !

Fucking love them both, Im closer to my nan than my mum or my dad mainly because she looked out for me and my sister when we were growing up.

And today she popped round some medicine for me and some fresh fruit because im ill :) bless her

I get so so sad when they are ill my grandad went in for an op on monday and it scares me when there are sick :(
    My nan and grandad on my mums side have passed away but on my dads side my nan and grandad are into their 70's now.

I have always been close to my nan (on dads side), I think it's fair to say I've always got on best with my nan. Could be because I get spoiled far too much and being their first grandchild I do get special treatment, but it's only fair :p

She does have an annoying habit of offering "advice" on everything and taking about an hour to talk about it but isn't everyones nan like that?!
    my grandma died about a year and a half ago, she was about 87 and think she just died of old age. had a good relationship with her when i saw her but this was only once a year generally (due to her living down south). her and my grandad (who is still alive and kicking at the age of 89 ish) had about 13 children.. who must've had about 43 children between them who again had children.. who also went on to have children! so a huuuuge family.

because of this i always felt closer to my nan on my mums side (my nan and grandad only had 2 children.. plus after my parents divorced i lived with my mum so saw my nan more). again because of distance (about 8 hours away) we didn't seem them much. she died of cancer nearly a year ago at the age of 75 i think and i miss her. :(

so i'm left with 2 grandads. never been very close to my mums dad, he's not a very chatty or affectionate person. my other grandad i get on with better but to be honest i can't see myself seeing him again before he dies which is quite sad really.

i also have a step-grandma and a step-grandma and step-grandad. my step-grandma lives locally but i never really see her. used to though. i've met my other step-grandparents a few times, and i can't really see myself seeing them much more. they've only actually technically been my step-grandparents for a year - didn't get a christmas card off them (despite my sending them one!) but they did send me a birthday card last year.
    Mine are all dead, too.

Didn't ever meet my Dad's parents as they died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning at the family holiday caravan when my Dad was 14. Pretty awful and I don't think my Dad's ever really recovered from finding them there :(

My mam's parents were hilarious, they died in 2004. I think my Grandad was 84 and my Nana was 78. We used to go over to visit them in N.I at least six times a year and it was always a blast, even though their home had that "old people smell" good and proper. They were true storytellers and the old man could drink anyone under the table, I'll always remember that :thumb:
    briggi wrote: »

My mam's parents were hilarious, they died in 2004.

I shouldn't be laughing but in that context it sounded funny. :lol:
    :mad:

Oh aye, their deaths were especially hilarious, jokers right 'til the end ;)

I feel like I should say some kind of prayer now...
    briggi wrote: »
    :mad:

Oh aye, their deaths were especially hilarious, jokers right 'til the end ;)

I feel like I should say some kind of prayer now...

Kinda nice in a way that they died in the same year, they didn't have to live long without each other.
    Both my grandfathers died before I was born and then my gran died when I was 8 (she was lates 70s early 80s ) and my nan when I was 11. I have great memories of them and jus roll with that.
    Both my mums parents died long before either me or my brother was born. She doesnt really talk about them much (for reasons I cant even be bothered to go into)

Never knew my Dads Dad, they lost touch years ago, but its pretty safe to say hes probably dead now as well. My Dads mum is the only grandparent I've had. We get on okay, but shes going a bit senile nowdays. The only thing I've had close to being a grandad was my great uncle who used to live with my gran from when I could remember until he died a few years ago.
    mine are all dead. One died 3 years ago, and the other died 3 weeks ago, 4 days before my baby was born :( She was so excited about the baby too :(
    All mine are still alive. Even had a great grandmother up until a few years ago.

Thinking about it we seem to be a fairly long lived family.
    One of my grandads is dead, the other left my gran and moved to Spain. One of my grans took a stroke a few years ago and isn't her old self so basically leaves my other gran, she's 81 I think. She's really nice and thinks I'm a good little boy hehe! :thumb:
    mine are all dead. One died 3 years ago, and the other died 3 weeks ago, 4 days before my baby was born :( She was so excited about the baby too :(

aw thats really sad suzy :(

i have 1 grandad left still alive, but really hes my step grandad, but my grandma married him when i was like 1, so hes all i've ever known and is just like my real grandad. hes reeeeeeeeally old. well, hes 90, and not really in the best of health, he always falls asleep halfway through conversations...hes as slow as a tortoise and it takes him ages to do everything, he cant hear what you say half the time...despite all that hes wickedly funny and every now and then he'll say something that makes you laugh your head off and makes you remember what he used to be like.

my grandma is 79, awesome and i couldnt ask for a better one.

my nana is...weird, shes lovely most of the time but shes had a few mental health problems and over the years has constantly fell out with members of her family for nothing. at the moment she only speaks to me out of my family (my mum, dad and sister) which i find quite hard sometimes, cus i feel like i cant talk about them to her.