Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

just did something REALLY DUMB

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
bascially im sat at home bored and ill so i couldnt go to work and i started ebay-browsing ... it suddenly occured to me how COOL would it be to be a dj? so i decided to place a bid on some decks for 125 quid which i do NOT have ...

payday is on friday and thats gonna be a chunk gone which could have been spent on driving lessons .. is there any way i can get out of this ?

and if i cant has any one got any dj tips? i do loooove music and could do with a hobby other than drinking and drugs

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    125 quid in decks, probably are gonna be a bit crap :(, you should of saved and some decent ones.

But any way, either wait till your out bided or just PM the fella and say your kid pressed the button or something.
    bascially im sat at home bored and ill so i couldnt go to work and i started ebay-browsing ... it suddenly occured to me how COOL would it be to be a dj? so i decided to place a bid on some decks for 125 quid which i do NOT have ...

payday is on friday and thats gonna be a chunk gone which could have been spent on driving lessons .. is there any way i can get out of this ?

and if i cant has any one got any dj tips? i do loooove music and could do with a hobby other than drinking and drugs

POTW?!

A spur of the moment decision makes you bid on something as random as some decks, it dawns on you that it's money you don't have, and you realise how you're going to be skint for the next week so are desperate to withdraw the big, then already consigned to not be able to, carelessly and only to emphasise the whim on which the bid was placed you ask for beginners tips!

Fantastic :lol:
    what styles will you spin?
    Technics 1210s are the best but better for further advanced.
    Hard house is easy to mix, practice with that.
    VinylVicky wrote: »

Love mashing up a few different styles myself Vicks, merging a couple of genres to give a unique feel.

Lately it's been more Folk with Bluegrass undertones mental stuff babes!
    Paypal will pay it whether you have the money or not won't they?

Then they will just have to wait if it's not in your bank or something like that. The seller will still recieve the money i'm sure.

Huh?

See I have NOOO idea about dj'in .. The thought of being a dj first came to me when i was off my head once and today it just came back and i thought fuck it il get some

i dont even have any records ! how expensive are they?

i want to mix up loads of different shit like dnb rnb everything !
    Huh?

See I have NOOO idea about dj'in .. The thought of being a dj first came to me when i was off my head once and today it just came back and i thought fuck it il get some

i dont even have any records ! how expensive are they?

i want to mix up loads of different shit like dnb rnb everything !
    Got any local record shops? Have a browse. Prices can vary hugely.
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    Love mashing up a few different styles myself Vicks, merging a couple of genres to give a unique feel.

Lately it's been more Folk with Bluegrass undertones mental stuff babes!

mental mental chicken oriental
    :crazyeyes :nervous:

What.....?!

Got any local record shops? Have a browse. Prices can vary hugely.

we have a hmv ?!

just bidded on some records, 15 for 15 quid is that good ?

i bidded mainly because it has a shyfx one which i LOVE and the streets - has it come to this one of my favourites not sure how good its going to sound

FUCK !

i need speakers!
    HMV may be a good place to start, it won't be the cheapest place, and it certainly won't have any of the latest stuff, or more obscure stuff, but if you're just starting it may be easier to pick up a few songs you've heard of, in which case HMV will have all your more commercial things.

Beyond that take a walk around your high street they'll be a couple of great little vinyl shops tucked away some where that will have a much wider range of stuff and more knowledgable staff there!

£15 for 15 is alrite i guess, again i'd assume it'll be some slightly older commercial stuff but it'll be all good to get you started
    If your going to mix DnB you want to look on the shops below...

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/
    http://www.redeyerecords.co.uk/asp/default.asp

They cant be beaten on price and the tunes they get in.

You have paid £125 for the decks, did you check weather that includes a mixer or not? Do you have a stereo you can wire this all up too? A decent pair of headphones?

At that price, chances are they are belt drive decks (the platter is turned by a belt rather than a motor) which are harder to learn on as they as a lot more unresponsive. don't worry about that though, most people learn on belt drive decks as they don't want to shell out for direct drive when they don't know what they are doing.
    Plus if you can mix on a cheap pair of belt drive decks, you can mix on anything! :D

Do u know any DJ's? if you do then get them to show you the basics... once you actually know how its done then its just a case of many hours of practise!
    JamesZero wrote: »
    If your going to mix DnB you want to look on the shops below...

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/
    http://www.redeyerecords.co.uk/asp/default.asp

They cant be beaten on price and the tunes they get in.

You have paid £125 for the decks, did you check weather that includes a mixer or not? Do you have a stereo you can wire this all up too? A decent pair of headphones?

At that price, chances are they are belt drive decks (the platter is turned by a belt rather than a motor) which are harder to learn on as they as a lot more unresponsive. don't worry about that though, most people learn on belt drive decks as they don't want to shell out for direct drive when they don't know what they are doing.
    Plus if you can mix on a cheap pair of belt drive decks, you can mix on anything! :D

Do u know any DJ's? if you do then get them to show you the basics... once you actually know how its done then its just a case of many hours of practise!

Cheers for all that advice ! Yeah i know a few djs one is a COMPLETE asswipe so i wont be asking him but theres a few others ..

this is what i have just bought :

2x Direct Drive TT1625 Numark Turntables (10% pitch adjustment, 33 and 45rpmspeeds, an aluminium platter, S-shaped tone arm, and dual start/stop controls).

1x DM950 Mixer

2x Numark Slipmats

Brand new stylles & needles

All wires ready to plug in go......!

As new condition DJ package, hardly used. Suitable for the beginners and also for the more experienced DJ.....

Everything you need to plug into your stereo and go.....

Low start price - no reserve.........

Mail any questions...

and the pictures :

fc530fe445.jpg

7aa32adb39.jpg

what do you think ?
    Looks like a spectrum.
    Damn... you actually got a very good deal there!

I have never used any of the Numark TT range decks, but they are supposed to be good to mix on. Goodfella who posts on this board has a set...
    They are direct drive as well so it should help things. A

The only things that aren't listed there that you need to get you going are speakers and headphones...

Having separate speakers and an amp is ideal, but you can hook up a mixer to most home stereos. As long as they have an "AUX" output on them then you can run a cable (mini jack to phono) from that to the mixer.
    (if that sounds like jibberish it wont be so confusing once you get all the bits there)

In terms of headphones..
    You cant plug a normal pair of walkman headphones into a mixer as they use a large jack, you can get a converter but its pointless...
    If you just want something cheap then something like these would do the job:

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/headphones/behringer/hps3000
    Aw quality ! glad its a good deal

thanks again for your advice ! i will most likely be asking you more stuff when they actually arrive

.. my friends are actually gonna laugh their heads off when i tell that what i have done !
    Have you won them though, or is there time left in the auction still? You never know you maybe lucky!
    Yeah i'd say there good enough to practise on. Best you bought them instead of splashing out .. then getting bored and letting them gather dust.

If you want there are books you can buy" How to DJ properly" is a quality book. I read that when i first started out and it did help loads to get your head round the basics.

I think its quality :D nice one i say, is a good hobby to have ... ya never know you might be banging out "choons" at some of your mates parties soon enough ;)
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    Have you won them though, or is there time left in the auction still? You never know you maybe lucky!

I bidded on them in a random impulse mood... 125 that i wont get til friday ! still im pretty chuffed that they are okay and excited about having a go on them
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Yeah i'd say there good enough to practise on. Best you bought them instead of splashing out .. then getting bored and letting them gather dust.

If you want there are books you can buy" How to DJ properly" is a quality book. I read that when i first started out and it did help loads to get your head round the basics.

I think its quality :D nice one i say, is a good hobby to have ... ya never know you might be banging out "choons" at some of your mates parties soon enough ;)

do you dj a lot then and is it hard?

i can honestly say i have never actually had a go on the decks .. mic yes decks no

i can honestly say i have never actually had a go on the decks .. mic yes decks no

Erm well ive never played out anywhere and havent really been able to practise much of late due to uni stuff buuuuut when it isnt exam period etc im practising everyday for a couple of hours. Still need practise really, sometimes im good, sometimes im shocking .. just takes looooads of practise .. but its fun in the process.

Wouldnt say its the easiest thing in the world to do, takes a while for your ears to be rewired so you can hear the two different tracks and see which ones going faster or slower and then having to make tiny adjustments to whichever track.

But anyway, for you. You should look at the very basics. Hard house might be good to look at just to practise with as theres not much to it :p Get familiar with all your equipment, know what your mixer does, learn how to cue your record, how to beatmatch. Theres loads to it, think one mistake i made was i tried to do too much too soon. Like jumping in the deep end before i could swim. Get the basics sorted then it'll all come natural to ya. Just have fun, thats the main thing :D

What type of music you like? Any favourite DJ's?
    What type of music you like? Any favourite DJ's?

Love drum and bass and uk stuff like plan b and the streets and some dance really .. favourite dj's are shyfx andy c stuff like that but im open to most things really !
    JamesZero's probs the best guy to talk to about drum and bass.

You won em yet? .. p.s yes i have havent read all the thread :p
    JamesZero's probs the best guy to talk to about drum and bass.

You won em yet? .. p.s yes i have havent read all the thread :p

lol yea i won them because it was like 'five minutes left' when i decided to bid .. feel sorry for the other fuckas bidding because it had been on ebay a long time and they probably thought they were well in then along comes me on a random one and decides to bid ...

.. bit worried at first but now im excited !
    Good stuff :D Well if theres anything you wanna know there are quite a few people on here that can help you :)
    Good stuff :D Well if theres anything you wanna know there are quite a few people on here that can help you :)

cheers !

i think i probably will be asking a lot of questions about it but im looking forward to get on them and having a go

Its one of them things really... it takes a bit of work to learn how to do it, and can seem well confusing at first...
    but once you learn it its like riding a bike, you wont forget.

Good on you for starting though, I brought my first set of decks about 7 years ago now... just for fun really, never thought anything of it.
    I have done a fair bit in that time though, start off with house partys, then hall party's, bar work, then I got some good club work, was on pirate radio, internet radio, worked in a record shop for a while etc
    I don't do it as much now but it was wicked at the time... Im more into music production now days.

"Get yersell down to Radio Rental"

:lol: @ crappy MC'ing