Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anti Rape Condom

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Like I said though, if women feel that threatened in s.a why not just carry a gun?
    why nbot just get men to stop mutherfucking raping mutherfucking women. It SHOULDN"T be women's resposibility to stop men from raping them , it is men's responsibility to stop raping women. simple
    katralla wrote: »
    why nbot just get men to stop mutherfucking raping mutherfucking women. It SHOULDN"T be women's resposibility to stop men from raping them , it is men's responsibility to stop raping women. simple

Which is what I was saying all along. I was playing devil's advocate with the gun thing.

Although I would say it is societies responsibility to stop men raping women. It's easy enough to blame each individual rapist (or just all men in general) but it won't stop rape, and leaving it to the rapists to decide in their heart that it's wrong wont work.

Which is why the police and the government should be more proactive than reactive and bringing in measures just aimed at reducing the burden of proof etc. so it's easier to convict. Because as far as I can see that's not going to help the woman who's been raped except to lock the rapist up.
    katralla wrote: »

Personally, I think it's both men & women's responsibility.
    Sofie wrote: »
    Personally, I think it's both men & women's responsibility.

I don't understand. A woman's responsability not to get raped? I dont agree with the narrow view that some women are asking for it because of how they dress. As someone said before rape is all about power and I don't think the rapist will be particularly worried about how short your skirt is. You could be wearing a binliner and still be a victim. I read what another poster was saying about some parts of Africa and even though I still think this anti rape condom seems intensely dodgy, it could have some benefits if used there. For the UK, I think it would be an extremely pessimistic view of society and as another poster said before (sorry shit with names) you are assuming that the only damage that can be inflicted is through penetration.
    I have so many problems with this that I don't know where to begin.

Sorry if someone has already made these points but I'm on a slow connection and haven't read the whole thread.

I would assume that the women that are most at risk of rape are those on a low income or the fringes of society, eg homeless, living in hostels, walking home at night rather than paying for taxis/getting lifts. Are women on low incomes really going to pay to buy one of these implements every day? I doubt it.

Have there been health studies done into this? Leaving a tampon inside you for a long time can lead to toxic shock syndrome. What are the implications of leaving this implement inside you for up to 24 hours?

It is a man's responsibility to NOT rape, not a woman's responsibility to prevent it happening. In a way this implement reminds me of Muslim women wearing all covering burqhas so men won't see them and be 'tempted.'

Yes of course, women can take precautions and be cautious, eg try not to walk down dark streets alone etc but sometimes that's life, you have to get home and there is no-one there to walk with you.

Along with others I am concerned that a man wanting to rape a woman would turn very nasty if he encountered barbs...
    katchika wrote: »

It is a man's responsibility to NOT rape, not a woman's responsibility to prevent it happening.

this keeps coming up, and of COURSE it's HIS responsibility! BUT life doesnt always work like that does it?

if a man wants to rape someone and there is a woman near by who is vunerable, he's gonna do it

it's all very well for us women to say "we should be able to walk where we want, at what time we want, wearing what we want" and yes, it's true...but it's not the way life works unfortunately

we SHOULD be able to do all those things, but due to rapists, we cant and the sooner a lot of women realise that, the better

i mean is it REALLY that hard not to walk home alone? i've been going out to pubs and clubs for 7 years now and have NEVER had to walk home alone, so why do so many women risk it?

i am not in any way suggesting if u do walk home alone, you deserve to be raped btw

this post has probably come out all wrong, it is NEVER the woman's fault :(
    Sometimes I walk home alone at night. I live on a main road and I feel fairly safe, in fact I tend to feel safer walking than I would getting into a cab by myself.

That's not really the issue though. It's whether women would actually wear this thing. I certainly wouldn't, even if it was handed out free. The idea of it, it just seems such a violation...yes I am aware being raped is also a violation, but I think on the balance, I would rather take the risk than wear one of these things every day for the rest of my life "just in case."

Rape by strangers is also relatively rare. Most people are raped by someone they know, on a date, or by a former or current partner. Often by someone they feel they can trust, so presumably they wouldn't be wearing the "rapex" at the time anyway.
    katchika wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't, even if it was handed out free.

nor me
    Littleali wrote: »
    this keeps coming up, and of COURSE it's HIS responsibility! BUT life doesnt always work like that does it?

if a man wants to rape someone and there is a woman near by who is vunerable, he's gonna do it

it's all very well for us women to say "we should be able to walk where we want, at what time we want, wearing what we want" and yes, it's true...but it's not the way life works unfortunately

we SHOULD be able to do all those things, but due to rapists, we cant and the sooner a lot of women realise that, the better

i mean is it REALLY that hard not to walk home alone? i've been going out to pubs and clubs for 7 years now and have NEVER had to walk home alone, so why do so many women risk it?

i am not in any way suggesting if u do walk home alone, you deserve to be raped btw

I reckon it's both men and women's responsibility tbf.

First off, I think it's absolutely men who should carry the major responsibility as far as committing rape goes. They're (we're?) the ones who do it, and it should be men who carry the responsibility not to. But, I would also argue that women have a responsibility in keeping themselves safe as well.

It's exactly like locking your doors at night, making sure your car windows are up, not flashing money around, keeping your personal belongings close to you, telling someone when you'll be home etc etc.

While we really shouldn't have to do all the above to keep ourselves safe (regardless of sex), but regardless of this, we do, and if we don't and something happens, then we tend to blame ourselves for not doing something to prevent it.

Similarly, with women who are raped, I feel like women should have a personal responsibility to keep themselves as safe as possible. It's not ideal, but to place the onus of responsibility entirely on men is like saying we shouldn't lock our houses at night because we should be trying to educate burglers into not breaking into our houses.

To relate a slightly different story: In my own research, I have boys who won't/cant' go into another scheme (estate) otherwise they'll get jumped. For a boy to into another scheme is daft, and the boy has a responsibility to make sure he keeps himself safe when he does go there. Now, is it his fault if he gets jumped, with the full knowledge of what he faces if he does go there?
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    i mean up all up for rape defense, but why not a pepper spray or a tazer or somkething

Very illegal (Section 5 firearms). More than that, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this product was classified as an offensive weapon here: anything carried (including internally), that is designed or adapted to cause harm (which is exactly what this product's intention is) is illegal; self-defense or not.
    Well I think we've established it's the worst idea ever.

"anti-rape" is a good idea... but this product isn't. It only activates after the victim has been restrained/beaten and the penis inserted... it doesn't prevent rape at all, not even 1, and it opens the victim up to further "punishment" once the device is discovered.

I don't in any way want to imply that it is ever a woman's fault for being raped, but with clear thinking it can be avoided in most cases. Simple things like not walking alone at night could be all you need. Just like, as others said, putting a car in a garage can stop it being a prime target for crime. No one should ever be raped; but talking pro-active steps to reducing your risks is going to do a lot more than "looking at the causes" or saying "if it happens, it's not my fault"... just like putting a car in a garage is more likely to stop it being stolen than saying "I shouldn't have to, so why should I?".

Stay safe.
    Some of these comments really worry me, but sadly don't surprise me.

In what way could it ever be considered that a woman is "partly to blame" for being raped?

In what way could it ever be considered that a woman is "partly to blame" for being raped?

Well, this is slightly pedantic, but since you asked the question: if she lied in court to provide a false alibi for a rapist, thus preventing a conviction, and was then raped by the man she helped acquit.

not every rape is carried out by strangers down dark streets

I don't think it's 'blame' per se. It's the same way that you could be 'blamed' for having your car nicked if you leave it unlocked. I know this is a shit analogy and not an exact parallel, but you get my gist.
    I think there are two seperate issues here.

I don't think that this device would work in the UK. For all the reasons that everyone else has mentioned.

However, it wasn't designed for the UK market, it was designed by someone who sees a horrific amount of rapes occur all the time in SA. Whilst I still don't like this device, I can at least see why this seems like a better idea in that sort of society.

I still completely disagree that it would work in a preventative manner though. Once men are aware of such a device existing, they will use other objects to remove it first, or they will rape anally.

As for me, no, I wouldn't wear one.

If someone walks into the road without looking and are hit by a car, would you consider them "partly to blame"?

If someone goes up to a guy in a pub and says "what the fuck are you staring at?!", would you consider them "partly to blame" for the kickin' they get?

If a mother leaves her child for 5 minutes would you consider her "partly to blame" if the child is abducted?

If a person chooses not to ware their seatbelt, are they "partly to blame" for their injuries following a crash?

If you hand your wallet to a stranger, are you "partly to blame" if they run off with it?

Rape is different, as there are no "rules" on what to do to avoid it; but if you know the rules, choose to not follow them, and you come out worse off, then are you not "partly to blame"?
    Levi wrote: »
    If someone walks into the road without looking and are hit by a car, would you consider them "partly to blame"?

If someone goes up to a guy in a pub and says "what the fuck are you staring at?!", would you consider them "partly to blame" for the kickin' they get?

If a mother leaves her child for 5 minutes would you consider her "partly to blame" if the child is abducted?

If a person chooses not to ware their seatbelt, are they "partly to blame" for their injuries following a crash?

If you hand your wallet to a stranger, are you "partly to blame" if they run off with it?

Rape is different, as there are no "rules" on what to do to avoid it; but if you know the rules, choose to not follow them, and you come out worse off, then are you not "partly to blame"?

Those situations are totally different and can't be compared to rape.
    Why can't they be compared to rape?
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    not every rape is carried out by strangers down dark streets

i didnt say it did

but too many DO occur for that reason
    I've seen a lot of people say women should not walk home alone. Right, so not walking home alone will prevent a woman being raped. Because women only get raped at night when alone!

Some women are raped by taxi drivers: they are clearly not walking home alone. Many women are raped by guys they meet in bars or someone they are on a date with..also clearly not walking home alone.

I'd be interested to see some sort of stats regarding rapes, when, where and how they occur. As I would hazard a guess that relatively few are late at night down a dark street.

Also, if people seem to think women should not walk home alone, why not take that further? Can they not walk home alone at 1am? If then, surely they can't walk home at 9pm if it's dark? It gets dark about 4pm in winter, so better stay inside then. And better cover up just in case someone notices you're a woman, after all don't keep your valuables on show.

:rolleyes:
    geez....no-one ANYWHERE has said if you walk alone, you're gonna get raped, also nowhere have i said its ONLY people who walk home alone who gets raped (dont put words in my mouth!)

BUT

the chance is there isnt it? why give them that opportunity?

do NOT make out like this is something i've just concocted, if you look at most women safety sites, they till tell you to AVOID walking home alone in the dark, especially down quiet roads, and rightly so, it's common sense! Hell, even big strapping men get attacked walking alone now!

I am NOT saying you should wrap yoursef in cotton wool, stay in, and lock your doors, BUT if you walk home alone, in the dark, you ARE putting yourself at risk. Full stop. Sad? Yes! Unfair? Definately! True? In a lot of cases!

If it can be avoided, avoid it, that's all I am saying, nothing more, nothing less. So dont imply other wise
    Why can't they be compared to rape?

Beause rape & having your child abducted are two different things?:rolleyes:
    relatively few are late at night down a dark street.

I would've thought it was more seeing that it would be easier to rape someone if no-one's around?
    But wait. A lot of rape cannot be avoided. And certainly a lot is done by people you perhaps know or trust.

My ex was raped in a sleeping bag at a friend's house by her friend's uncle. How the hell do you expect her to go and avoid that?

A woman should not even be held partially to blame for rape. It is a complete violation of the self. Even if she is wearing a particularly short skirt, it does not mean she was 'asking for it'.

Yes there are things to do to make yourself safer, but a woman should not be held accountable if she does not fulfill all of these. It is the rapist who is in the wrong! Just because a woman takes a risk by walking down a dark street at night does not mean that it is more her fault if someone rapes her!
    geez....no-one ANYWHERE has said if you walk alone, you're gonna get raped, also nowhere have i said its ONLY people who walk home alone who gets raped (dont put words in my mouth!)

Don't take my comments personally, I wasn't just referring to you.
    Personally, I live alone, so have no choice other than to go home alone, whether that is in a taxi, walking or taking public transport.

I am just concerned about a society where women are expected to behave in a certain way or avoid doing certain things for the fear of being raped. I am certainly not going to stay holed up in my flat by myself just to avoid putting myself at any sort of risk.

Having said that, as I've said already, I live on a well-lit main road, and also I don't wear revealing clothes. Although it is said that rape is about power and not sex, and elderly women have been raped, so the whole argument of sexy clothing provoking men to rape has little substance.
    Sofie wrote: »
    Beause rape & having your child abducted are two different things?:rolleyes:
    Gosh, ya think? Wow, I must be wasting my time doing my Phd if I missed something that obvious...

That's NOT what I was talking about. I'm well aware they're different things, but what I was (and others) were talking about was personal responsibility, and the actions people do which lead to a bad event happening. Are you seriously saying that you can't equate someone locking their doors at night with a women making sure she's safe while she's walking home? The situations (not the crimes) Levi gave as examples can absolutely be paralleled with rape, because in each case there is an example of poor personal responsibility. I don't see why rape should be any different. Unless you want to suggest that if a guy (or girl) was jumped as a result of him/her walking alone in a dark alley past a group of chavs, we shouldn't place a little bit of responsibility on him/her for doing so?

P.S. I've no idea why you included the :rolleyes: in your message, since I've been entirely civil to you, and nothing I posted was in any way deserving of a sarcastic response.
    I do agree with taking steps to keep safe, for example not staggering home drunk in a mini skirt down a country lane.

But actually, I WOULD like to suggest that if a guy (or girl) was jumped as a result of him/her walking alone in a dark alley past a group of chavs, we should not place a little bit of responsibility on him/her for doing so.

It's the group of "chavs" who are wholly responsible.

Who knows about the circumstances involved which led the VICTIM to be walking down the alley?

Plenty of people work late shifts and have to get home. Sometimes there is no choice other than to walk in an alley/subway. Sometimes you can't get a cab, or don't have enough money for one. Sometimes you are let down by someone who was going to share a taxi with you or pick you up.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Although I would say it is societies responsibility to stop men raping women.

:confused::confused::confused:

How do I even begin to comprehend that sentence ?

What on earth are you talking about ?
    No woman, or indeed man, should have any responsibility put on them for walking down a dark road, being alone, dressing how they want or even a bit tipsy and then being raped. But common sense should dictate that you make yourself as safe as is possible, though as Katchika points out that's not always possible.