Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Should we nationalise the Duke of Westminster?

I've been pondering the Duke of Westminster, for those of you who dont know he owns a very large amount of London and makes people pay ground rent. This makes him the 5th richest person in the UK with about £6.6Bn.

Why should he have this? Should the UK government take it back and use the ground rent for social housing?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes we should.

The concept of one individual owning vast amounts of land in a city and charging ground rent is a fucking obscenity.
  • Options
    Yes we should. Its not his money, it belongs to the country rather than the Duke of Westminster. What the government decides to do with he land really doesnt bother me, but there is no way the Duke Of Westminster should be so rich because of it.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I'm inclined to agree, I dont think however we should just hand over the freeholds, but put them into a trust, reduce the rates by say 15%, and put the money made into social housing.
  • Options
    Agreed.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Yes we should.

The concept of one individual owning vast amounts of land in a city and charging ground rent is a fucking obscenity.

:thumb:
  • Options
    TBH though lots of people own land throghout the UK - he is just rich becuase his ancestors - saw a gap in the building market and built houses, shops etc on thier land. Its not even that much land compared to other landowners its just that it happens to be very well located.

I'm not saying that you shouldnt' necessarily nationalise him but it would then set a precident to renationalise any bit of land going - and i for one want to hold onto my pocket sized piece of england....
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    TBH though lots of people own land throghout the UK - he is just rich becuase his ancestors - saw a gap in the building market and built houses, shops etc on thier land. Its not even that much land compared to other landowners its just that it happens to be very well located.

You might want to read some history around that, specifically on the enclosures acts.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    This makes him the 5th richest person in the UK with about £6.6Bn.

Why should he have this? Should the UK government take it back and use the ground rent for social housing?

Where do you stop? Why should anyone have a billion? Or a million? Or half a million? Why should anyone make money out of property? If you start with the Duke Of Westminster where do you stop? With someone who rents out their house and lives with their parents?

Marxist chat about seizing land might be interesting, it's thankfully an impossibility - no serious mainstream political party advocates it.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    You might want to read some history around that, specifically on the enclosures acts.

can my goat graze in your garden please. the duke of westminster took all the other land :(
  • Options
    Where do you stop? Why should anyone have a billion? Or a million? Or half a million? Why should anyone make money out of property? If you start with the Duke Of Westminster where do you stop? With someone who rents out their house and lives with their parents?

I have no problem with billionaires or people making money out of property. I just don't feel its right for the Duke of Westminster to own so much land in one of the most expensive cities in the world. It belongs to London and the UK, not the Duke of Westminster.
  • Options
    Suppose there is an issue that the land was originally allocated, somewhere along some family line, as an estate by a monarch in which case the solution would be to sell all the land to private companies. Or do nothing.
  • Options
    I think the land should belong to Westminster City Council, they can then sell it to or rent it out as shops, offices etc. At least then the money and profits from the land would be in the public purse.
  • Options
    That land was developed from fields to sought after property by the duke of westminsters faimly. Why not just nationalise anything anyones put work and resources into.

commie
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    That land was developed from fields to sought after property by the duke of westminsters faimly. Why not just nationalise anything anyones put work and resources into.

commie

Cos we live in a capitalist society, luckily. However such a large part of prime real estate in our nations capital belongs to the city and the UK.
  • Options
    The land belongs to the man, it's not like one day he just said "I own all this". Hundreds of years ago his ancestors made the wise financial decision to develop it and they made the good decision of keeping it in the family instead of selling up.

It's like saying I can't give my house to my kids when I die, because God forbid they make a profit on it.

He can charge so much in rent because people are willing to pay it, and good on him. I wish my ancestors had done something constructive and bought up a few fields or something.
  • Options
    His wealth is a by product of history.

So it happens to be London where most of his land lies. If the capital had been Bognor Regis, some lucky bugger would be in the same situation there as the Duke is in now with London.

If businesses etc are prepared to pay for extortinate prices in London for the sake of 'prestige' and not relocate to other cities, then tough.

Remember, his wealth is taxed. It's not like all his rent goes into his pocket. If it belonged to the council as suggested, they'd probably fuck it all up and the areas would become run down.
  • Options

I wasnt suggesting that we take money from anyone else, certainly the idea of removing money from (for example) someone like Alan Sugar is maddness.

I just think this case is somewhat different, he has all this land because presumably his ancestors took it by force. However I can totally see the argument against doing this.
  • Options
    I think people only want to take the land off him because the idea of having that much land and, god forbid charging people to live on it just isn't fair.
  • Options
    When millions of people can't afford to own their own home, it's nothing short of an abomination that a family owns large areas of land and that they charge people money for the ground the house they have bought sits on.

I certainly haven't heard a case anywhere else in the world where a man can buy a house but doesn't own the fucking land it's built on- so at the end of the tenure I guess he's supposed to lift the house up and away (presumably by using alien technology), or pay another fortune to keep the house he legally owns and has paid for.

Let the Duke keep the land he lives in. But buy any excess land from him and ensure there is as much social and affordable housing as possible.

I can't believe the attitudes of some people here. I believe it even less because my guess is they are not particularly rich and probably struggling to buy their own home. But no matter. Let the turkeys vote for Xmas!
  • Options
    I certainly haven't heard a case anywhere else in the world where a man can buy a house but doesn't own the fucking land it's built on

Could you elaborate on this ?

I`m not clear as to what you are referring to ?
  • Options
    Considering most of the 100 acres he owns are in the areas of Belgravia and Mayfair, I don't think lack of social housing caused by him is an issue anyway.
  • Options
    Well that land is still in London and there are many people who could do with affordable housing there.

Unless of course the masterplan is to keep 'undesirables' and 'commoners' away from such distinguised areas altogether.
  • Options
    When millions of people can't afford to own their own home, it's nothing short of an abomination that a family owns large areas of land and that they charge people money for the ground the house they have bought sits on.

Not as if some rich American who can afford a Mayfair townhouse can't afford it.
    I certainly haven't heard a case anywhere else in the world where a man can buy a house but doesn't own the fucking land it's built on- so at the end of the tenure I guess he's supposed to lift the house up and away (presumably by using alien technology), or pay another fortune to keep the house he legally owns and has paid for.

Not owning the freehold is normal in London and quite common in the UK. I didn't realise it wasn't like this abroad. Capitalism really, it makes good business sense not to sell the freehold. (In a few years the CofE will no doubt regret the decision to asset strip and flog a lot of its land).
    Let the Duke keep the land he lives in. But buy any excess land from him and ensure there is as much social and affordable housing as possible.

And if you start with the Duke of Westminster where do you stop? Anyone who owns land they're not personally living on?
  • Options
    Unless of course the masterplan is to keep 'undesirables' and 'commoners' away from such distinguised areas altogether.

Tbh I'd call some of the brash investment bankers and rich Russians in these distinguished areas undesirable.
  • Options
    Not as if some rich American who can afford a Mayfair townhouse can't afford it.
    Oh well that's alright then :)

Not owning the freehold is normal in London and quite common in the UK. I didn't realise it wasn't like this abroad. Capitalism really, it makes good business sense not to sell the freehold. (In a few years the CofE will no doubt regret the decision to asset strip and flog a lot of its land).
    It is deeply, fundamentally wrong that one individual owns vasts amounts of land, specially in a crowded city, and even more so since housing is very expensive and out of reach for so many.

It's about time we start putting people before profits.

And if you start with the Duke of Westminster where do you stop? Anyone who owns land they're not personally living on?
    Not necessarily. You don't even need to do it to anybody else. Lines can be drawn and common sense be used.
  • Options

Of course not. Can you not see this is a different example to normal landlords or other land owners? He has this land because his family had influence donkeys years ago.
  • Options
    It is a dangerous precedent though to start seizing peoples assets, even if they have acquired it in a rather unjust way, it is something done by totalitarian states, not democracies.

Seeing as the relative benefit would be rather minimal anyway, it is certainly not a good idea.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    The land belongs to the man, it's not like one day he just said "I own all this". .

You might want to read up on the enclosure acts. Basically, privilged people did say "we own all this" and took common land away.
  • Options
    Yes, but did his ancestors....?

And even so, are you suggesting people should be held accountable for the actions of their ancestors?
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    And even so, are you suggesting people should be held accountable for the actions of their ancestors?

No one is suggesting we chuck him out on the street homeless, just that the land would be better held in trust and the money used for things other than making him very rich.