Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Moaninho: 'It's all a conspiracy'

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    While "bias" is probably the wrong word to use - I'd have been amazed if the penalty hadn't been awarded on Saturday if it happened in the other box. Can sort of see where he's maybe coming from, but there's no point in making yourself look like even more of a paranoid twat.

Chelsea probably get their fair share of big decisions at the Bridge anyway, so no point moaning.
  • Options
    Somebody on 606 produced the stat that Man Utd have conceded two penalties at Old Trafford this year while Chelsea have conceded zero at Stamford Bridge this year. Sure, I think the one on saturday was definately a penalty, but I also think these things even themselves out over the duration of the season. And wasn't it Alan Hanson who once said that one of the reasons the bigger clubs don't concede as many penalties is because most teams visiting don't get to spend so much time in the penalty area? I reckon that maybe refs are intimidated at Old Trafford, but are also intimidated just at much at the emirates, at anfield and at Stamford Bridge by our esteemed England captain and his band of thugs. It's the same with all of the big 4, they all have players who you could say are cheats and they all have players who can intimidate officials, so for the manager or fans of one of them to say this about one of the other 3 is just hypocritical in my book. I once had some respect for Chelsea and Mourinho, but if he needs to start using these excuses as soon as it looks likes they aren't gonna win something, my respect is gone...
  • Options
    Well the stats show Chelsea have conceded just two penalties all season while United have conceded 4.Though in truth Heinze should of been sent off and a penalty given against sheffield United, not sure about the Oshea one he did get the ball but also took the man with him so that could of been as well.
    Anyone else expecting a Keegan like rant if Chelsea don't take advantage or loose ground in the next few games? :D
  • Options
    Penalties awarded against Utd at Old Trafford this season: Three.
    Penalties awarded against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge this season: None.
    Penalties awarded for ManYoo this season in the Premiership: Five.
    Penalties awarded for Chelski this season in the Premiership: Four.

it's all a big conspiracy!
  • Options
    Those stats don't even take into account the penalties given but missed e.g. the one against Arsenal at Old Trafford.

As LeicesterLuke says, these things even themselves out. We've had penalty decisions not go our way this season as well - Ronaldo getting booked for diving against Lille springs to mind, when he was clearly fouled.
    Bri-namite wrote:
    I'd have been amazed if the penalty hadn't been awarded on Saturday if it happened in the other box.

You reckon?

I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen Terry get away with handball in the box. He was basically exempt from handball last season. Not to mention the amount of times you see him (and others) wrestling people to the ground during set plays.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    You reckon?

Yeah, would say so.

Don't get me wrong, Chelsea and the rest get dodgy decisions too. The bit that pisses me off is that all the opposition managers and pundits shrug it off as one of things that happen, big teams playing at home getting most of the 50/50 decisions, but why should they get away with it? Referees are there to do a job, if they can't do it impartially or are easily swayed by the home crowd then they should fuck off.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Yeah, would say so.

Don't get me wrong, Chelsea and the rest get dodgy decisions too. The bit that pisses me off is that all the opposition managers and pundits shrug it off as one of things that happen, big teams playing at home getting most of the 50/50 decisions, but why should they get away with it? Referees are there to do a job, if they can't do it impartially or are easily swayed by the home crowd then they should fuck off.

Is it just big teams that get the decisions at home though?

I think stats have shown that home teams get favourable decisions, but it's across the board, not just the big teams.

People go on about the number of penalties awarded to big teams, and how little are given against, but maybe it's due to the fact that because the big teams spend most of the time in the opposition half, they will force more penalties in their favour, and less against.

The referees aren't great in the league for sure, but I don't think they're biased. Just incompetent.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    Is it just big teams that get the decisions at home though?

I think stats have shown that home teams get favourable decisions, but it's across the board, not just the big teams.

Why should it be like that though?

Spineless referees are the bane of my life, really. If the ref isn't sure about a decision it's probably easier just to give it to the home team cause otherwise he'll have X amount of people booing and calling him a horses arse. Or worse if you dare give anything against Rangers or Celtic. Natural human instincts maybe?
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Why should it be like that though?

Spineless referees are the bane of my life, really. If the ref isn't sure about a decision it's probably easier just to give it to the home team cause otherwise he'll have X amount of people booing and calling him a horses arse. Or worse if you dare give anything against Rangers or Celtic. Natural human instincts maybe?

Yea, you're right.

Some referees are spineless and bottle it for big decisions against the home team.

Could be natural human insincts to protect themselves. I think perhaps more of the money in football should go to training referees but it's difficult to see how you could make them better. It's a shame that great refs like Collini had to retire because of stupid age rules. He wasn't afraid to give big calls.

I don't think referees are ever going to be able to get it right all of the time. Perhaps replays should be used, but it would only break up the game. Like if a ref is convinced it wasn't handball and plays on without replay, then it turns out it was handball, well that would be more controversial than what happens even now.
  • Options
    I can't remember the name of the website (saw it on TV the other day), but there's this site that "corrects" all of the mistakes based on the judgements of a group of football statisticians. They judged that in terms of decisions that would result in a goal (I guess they assume any penalty will be scored) both Man Utd and Chelsea had had 10 dodgy decisions in games involving them. For Chelsea, 7 went against them, and 3 for them, and for Man utd, 3 went against them and 7 for them. See the whole game is biased towards Man Utd. :p The resulting alterations in the table would've put Chelsea 2 points behind Utd, rather than 3. Everton are the funniest though. They should be about 8 points ahead of Bolton. :lol:
  • Options
    On a similar point, from a neutral's point of view, it's made me laugh this year that when Mourinho was short on defenders earlier in the campaign, he was chuntering on about how he wasn't allowed to buy anyone and it wasn't his fault if Chelsea won nothing, and now united's defence is down to laughable proportions, Ferguson has hailed it as a challenge that his players will overcome and said that he doesn't care because united always do things the hard way anyway. There's the difference in attitudes. I have respect for Mourinho as a manager, but as a person, his whining gets on my nerves. Mind you, I guess that's his aim!
  • Options
    Mourinho seems to be feeling the heat a bit.

After the Newcastle game I thought he was going to break down in his post-match interview. He seems to be under alot of strain at the moment, which is interesting as it's his first season here where he's had a bit of competition and pressure - can he handle it?

Now ahead of the Liverpool game he is sniping at Benitez and saying Liverpool have only really had 3 or 4 games since the turn of the year. He says Liverpool are in a much better shape. I think he's getting his excuses in, because Chelsea are playing fucking awful, and Liverpool could easily take them if they play in any way well. Mourinho doesn't like this pressure, and instead of all this petty sniping, he should concentrate on the football and embrace the challenge.

As for rectifying the dodgy decisions - well I wonder if they take into account trivial things like poor free kick decisions high up the pitch which eventually lead to a goal, or a dodgy throw in or corner, or an undeserved booking which forces a player to change their game. Lots of decisions can have an impact on a game, no matter how trivial, so it's impossible to rectify them by means of a table. What consitutes dodgy as well? People say United shouldn't have had a penalty against Middlesborough back last year, but by the rules of the game it was a penalty, so you can't really say it's dodgy (even though people like to).