Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Southampton or High Wycombe?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I don't know whether to put this under Student or Going Out..

Basically I need to decide where to go to Uni, Southmampton or Buckinghamshire Chilterns in High Wycombe.

I haven't been to either of them. High Wycombe appears to be smaller and a bit more peacefull but very near London (which I know my way around quite well).
Southampton seems to be more busy, but I've never been there so I don't know what it's like for nightlife e.t.c.

Can anyone give me advice on either Uni's or just the city's in general for nightlife e.t.c?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Southampton, High Wycombe is a shit hole, and Southampton has a better reputation.
    :thumb:
  • Options
    Southampton I've heard good things. Wycombe is in Buckinghamshire = not very good night life. I can tell you that cos Im not far from it. Ask Dr Pirate about Wycombe, he is there.
  • Options
    I hated living in Wycombe. Really really really hated it. I've heard good things about Soton, but to be fair I don't think we're into the same scenes so that might not be much use.

As Renzo says, Dr. Pirate is the one to ask about BCUC (I only went there once and got naked in the canteen...) - he loves it, so my opinion is clearly not gospel. Just this once, mind.

Oh, and just to say that it's really expensive to get from Wycombe to London if you do it regularly, so don't bank on it being easy access.
  • Options
    I cannot speak for the uni, there are actually two in southampton, but the city is fantastic, loads of nice shops and the West Quay Shopping Centre, a new ikea being built, plenty of nightlife and loads of bars restaurants etc. There are massive open park land areas in the city centre and basically southampton is a stone throw away from new forest and plenty of other nice places. There has been a lot of regeneration in the city in the past 10 years so it is quite up and coming I would say.

I have no idea about High Wycombe though sorry! Oh yeah, the weather is fab in Southampton!
  • Options
    There's a big shopping centre and a few parks.

The proper uni is good, the institute or whatever they call it now isn't.

It's alright. At least it's not Portsmouth.
  • Options
    never been to high wycombe. there are some nice bars in southampton though, not a bad place to be a student.

plus in the summer you can go on trips to the isle of wight :thumb:
  • Options
    Speaking as someone who grew up in Soton, its had a bit of a facelift in the last decade, and the Uni is very good.

I've just spent three years studying in Birmingham and the nightlife is incomparably better than Soton BUT if I had the choice between the two Unis I would choose Soton; absolutely no contest.
  • Options
    seaside of course
  • Options
    I'm Southampton born and bred. Personally I think it's a bit of a shit hole but that might just be me. As MB says, it's had a lot of money pumped into it recently and the chav population seems to have been contained. It's a good Uni and there is the Isle of Wight which is really nice in the summer.

High Wycombe always struck me as a bit of a one-horse town.
  • Options
    Wycombe sucks for nightlife - but as you said is reasonably close to London - its not wildly close though - so you probably wouldn't want to do it on a regluar basis. But if your up for a close knit student lifestyle within the Union - topped up with going out once a month or so clubbing in London - then all is good.

However if your wanting to go out every night drinking in more of a town rather than a student style then Souton is the best - but i dunno how good the actual clubbing is there - i get the impression that it might be quite cheesy - where as clubbing in london is quite a serious affair - so you might find yourself travelling anyway for a reallllly good night out. Having said that you could always try and stalk skive into taking you to parties in the new forest!
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Having said that you could always try and stalk skive into taking you to parties in the new forest!

Haha, I know the New Forest quite well too, so Skive, I'll be PM'ing you to meet up in 2008! lol

The thing is, I've always lived in the countryside but within easy access of a city (Brighton is half an hour on the bus and London is about 45 mins on the train from where I live). I've never actually lived in a city before so Southampton would be different, but I do think it's got the upper hand at the moment. I want something different anyway, I wanna experience a new lifestyle.
  • Options
    I think Southampton will give you the real uni experience.

:thumb:
  • Options
    High Wycombe is an utter dump. Far too small to offer you anything close to a good time for 3 years too...
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Haha, I know the New Forest quite well too, so Skive, I'll be PM'ing you to meet up in 2008! lol

The thing is, I've always lived in the countryside but within easy access of a city (Brighton is half an hour on the bus and London is about 45 mins on the train from where I live). I've never actually lived in a city before so Southampton would be different, but I do think it's got the upper hand at the moment. I want something different anyway, I wanna experience a new lifestyle.

Aye I'd definately go to Southampton then - is it southampton uni or solent?
  • Options
    It's Solent....is that the good or the shit one? :nervous:
  • Options
    Solent is the slightly less good one but I think they sell themselves well especially for random marine subjects - TBH most of my friends only went to wycombe becasue they only got 1E at a-level - so it has to be better than that.

However the only reason why i asked is becuase I wasn't sure weather solent was actually in town - because and I only know this from random sailing - i'm sure there is a big campus on southampton water - but its like round the hamble river - not in the middle of town - like a train journey away.

Having said that i've only actually been to southampton uni once as well and it was also in the middle of nowhere near the airport in a dodgy area of town.
  • Options
    Lol Great...

I've got a map with the Prospectus, and Solent is kind of near Southampton Central Train Station and the Marlands Shopping Centre...if that means anything to anyone.
  • Options

I've got a map with the Prospectus, and Solent is kind of near Southampton Central Train Station .

Im guessing its kind of central then :p

Think you would enjoy univeristy in Southamton better.
  • Options
    Its ok I think it might just be a random marine bit thats in that area - i tried to look at their website but its down but i think its mostly central so you'll be OK.
  • Options
    Cool, cheers for the advice people, I'm definately likeing Southampton more as a place. I really need to go on some open days or something and find out about the actual courses.
  • Options
    It's Solent....is that the good or the shit one? :nervous:

The shit one. Not sure how it compares to whatever's in High Wycombe.

The Marlands is a naff shopping centre. The institute/solent uni is (or was) across the city centre from the station, not far, though.
  • Options
    I'm Southampton born and bred. Personally I think it's a bit of a shit hole but that might just be me.

So do I.
  • Options
    To be honest though, I'm not looking for some Oxford and Cambridge Academic standard university, that's not who I am. In fact, I can't think of anything I'd hate more than being stuck in a University like that with those kinda of arrogant twats.
  • Options
    Do you have offers from them or are you just trying to decide which ones to apply to
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Do you have offers from them or are you just trying to decide which ones to apply to

I have offers. I need to decide by the 6th July, but they are deferred offers until 2008 because I'm taking a gap year.
  • Options
    Solent was only made a uni like 1 year ago so I don't really think you can really compare it to the other uni, I think you will love it there, they have loads of great facilities and they are in a great location.
  • Options
    To be honest though, I'm not looking for some Oxford and Cambridge Academic standard university, that's not who I am. In fact, I can't think of anything I'd hate more than being stuck in a University like that with those kinda of arrogant twats.

That's a little closed-minded of you isn't it?

I go to Bristol which is in the Russell group of universities (the UK Ivy League) and granted, whilst there are twats there, there are far more really top people who are not fox-hunting public school boys (though I myself went to public school) than not.

I defy you to find me a situation, a party, a job, a school, a university or any situation in the world that doesn't have its fair share of wankers. Wankers are a part of life.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    That's a little closed-minded of you isn't it?

I go to Bristol which is in the Russell group of universities (the UK Ivy League) and granted, whilst there are twats there, there are far more really top people who are not fox-hunting public school boys (though I myself went to public school) than not.

I defy you to find me a situation, a party, a job, a school, a university or any situation in the world that doesn't have its fair share of wankers. Wankers are a part of life.

I had a night out in Cambridge whilst workign away a few years back - it full of Hooray Henry toss pots types - the type Pill'ed is on about. My mate and I, did however do extremely well with the ladies. :thumb: They obviously liked a bit of rough. :D

Pill'ed, I'm a born and bred Bitterne (southampton) boy. Southamptons not rough in the scheme of things - not when you compare it to larger cities and that shit hole down the coast they call Pompey.
    It's got an excellent student night life, quite cheesy but there's also a decent hardcore and d&B scene. The studenty area of southampton is Bedford Place - not a bad place to have a few drinks.

New Forest down the road, Isle of Wight across the water, and Bournemouth beaches only a 30 minute drive.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I didn't mean any offence Thunderstruck, but I know someone who went to Cambridge because he was really intelligent and left after a week because he couldn't stand the people there. Maybe I shouldn't judge because I've never been there, but I'm not going to Uni for the whole academic side, I'm doing Music Industry Management (managing groups and producing electronic music) not English Literature or Chemistry.

I'm going to do something that I enjoy and have a right laugh, Southampton sounds the place Skive. I'm used to going out in Brighton which has cheesy nightlife too, so I'm sure I'll fit right in. As long as the Hardcore and DnB scene is good, I'm all for it.
    Love the New Forest aswell, and I hear Southampton airport flies out to Amsterdam.
  • Options
    and I hear Southampton airport flies out to Amsterdam.

One guess on what your student lone is going on... :D