Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Starting a new job... my first ever job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 22 and i'm starting my first ever job on Wednesday (now you see why I wrote my age, haha)! Half of the job i've been offered is based around night shifts. I've never done any work ever so moving into hard work including night shifts might be kinda hard. Anyone got any good advice for me? My job is kinda rewarding so doing 8pm-8am might not be as hard as it initially sounds... who knows :)

This was meant to go in the work forum, sorry my mistake! Although if any students have any advice please feel free to comment :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    12 hour shifts every day? Seems a bit harsh. I've only even done part time/weekend work. I did do shifts from 8am-4.30am in a distillery and that was really tough getting up at half six every morning (even if it was only for 2 weeks) and I also had my weekend job to do too so some days it was a 13 hour work day which was murder.

You get into a pattern and you do settle in but I suggest sorting out your shifts because 12 hour shifts every day might be a bit tough. Unless it's a security guard shift then - stop moaning :razz:

Good luck :thumb:
    I work for 3 days 8am - 8pm have 4 days off then do 8pm - 8am for 3 days and then just swap back. I'm helping run the internet :P

I was tryna think of ideal sleep patterns but I think I'll just have to grin and bear it. I'm rather pleased with it for my first job, its with one of the Worlds best ISP's and the pay and training are INCREDIBLE. It still sucks working that late though.

Thanks for the advice, as you said I'll probably get used to the fucked up shifts at some point. I'm sure it would be easier for the company to employ some people working nights and some working days, i'd prefer that to weird inconsistant shifts. As long as the work isn't too challenging i'm sure i'll cope.
    well that sounds not too bad, considering the pay and benefits. The experience you'll gain will be worth it too. Good luck to you!
    My dad has worked nights the majority of his life. (works at a printers doin the papers everyday)
    You get used to it pretty quick, and you dont waste all that much of the day sleepin as you'd think.
    Besides, night work is higher pay rate right? "unsociable hours" and all that ?
    1st ever job.....? And starting on night shifts? You poor bastard. It'll take some getting used to but you'll manage it. I've found if I work nights i'm alright whilst i'm actually at work (ie i'm awake) but the next day i'm useless.
    dont work too hard, & dont do things as fast as you can unless it's an emergency.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi there,
    Congrats on the new job. It does sound like hard work, but I'm sure it will be a positive challenge.

You might find the following articles on the first day in a new job and adjusting to night shifts helpful.

Good luck :thumb: