Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Are Chickens Getting Smaller?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
supermarket chickens seem smaller to me over recent years - is this because they now stopping using hormones to make them artificially bigger then they'd normally be?

Comments

• Options
    Get yourself a nice oven ready cock and give it a good rub. Most cocks get bigger when you rub them :)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Get yourself a nice oven ready cock and give it a good rub. Most cocks get bigger when you rub them :)

:banghead:
  • Options
    supermarket chickens seem smaller to me over recent years - is this because they now stopping using hormones to make them artificially bigger then they'd normally be?

Have they stopped using hormones? I doubt it, there's all sorts in supermarket chickens.
  • Options
    Giving them hormones wont make them GM, not unless its a mutogenic, which is unlikely.

The grain virtually all chickens eat is GM, because grain is virtually all GM now, or at least you cant really tell the difference so we dont know whether it is or it isnt.
  • Options
    There is no specific regulations which means that they have to mention when it is GM and when it isnt. Most supermarkets say that they list it on their products, but they dont legally have to.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Giving them hormones wont make them GM, not unless its a mutogenic, which is unlikely.

The grain virtually all chickens eat is GM, because grain is virtually all GM now, or at least you cant really tell the difference so we dont know whether it is or it isnt.

That's what I was gonna say - I don't think injecting them with hormones to make them grow bigger comes under GM.

GM is like adding a Gene from a Fish to a tomatoe to make them last longer before going bad (which they can actually do)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]United States and Canadian ranchers routinely give synthetic estrogen to their cattle. As a result of the estrogen, the cattle bloat and retain water. Thus, the estrogenized cattle meat is heavier and more tender. Also the fat begins to build up in the animal and marble through the meat. The ranchers can get more money for their cattle because the meat weighs more and is more tender. The ranchers give estrogen to their cattle intentionally for the bloating fattening effect of estrogen.

http://www.goodbyepms.com/

[/FONT]
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    Ye sars talking crap (as usual :p was the same unit in science so lumped it together when explaining)
    GM involves one of the following:
    - adding a foreign gene
    - altering the base sequence of an existing gene
    - deleting or "turning off" an existing gene

uses mainly for producing insulin, designer babies, GM crops/ food, convinence, extending shelf life, improving crop yeild etc

You'd have thought the "G" in Gene was a clue .. :D

Oh well you're still smarter then the average

yogibear.jpg
  • Options
    hormones in meat has been illegal for years
  • Options

Are you sure your not looking at the poussin in the supermarket :p