Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I'm an ebay maestro

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I put my bike up for sale at 8pm tonight. It's non running, which I've stated, has no tax and no MOT. I've already had two people asking to buy it now and one said he'll pick it up tomorrow!

:yippe:

76 views in the first two hours of a 7 day auction though, must have done something right (although someone did tell me put it on 8pm sunday as thats when most people buy stuff).

eta: after another 2 minutes it's now FOUR offers. :|

So my question: they're asking me what kind of money I'm asking for (in my head, I'd be over the moon if I got £500 - I got it off a really cool guy for £400 off season, so now in season that's reasonable. But since it's not working I doubt I'll get that) - I'm just saying 'make me an offer' at the minute as I'm not sure of it's actual worth. :blush:

For a '99 suzuki wisebuyer's guide say:
in average condition £930
in poor condition £750

erk. And I'm not sure where the V5 is, but I know I've got it. Maybe sensible to phone up the DVLA people? But would that make the old V5 void in case I find it / sell early?

: | what happens if someone tries to buy it and I don't have the V5. It's around here somewhere. Lol I really didn't expect any interest so soon!

another edit: (chilling out now) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140107741507&rd=1&rd=1

One thing I'm slightly sceptical about is if I agree to sell it to someone, what if they come round in the night and nick it :p. Have heard of people doing that when a bike is for sale on eBay, you tell them where you live and they steal it apparently.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My brother in law has sold a few bikes on eBay and had people try to come back and steal them. The 5 barking dogs and 3 cars blocking it into the driveway put the thiefs off!

Depending on how wide your driveway is, you could block it in, like have your Mums car behind it or something?
    Give them a mobile and a place to meet near by - but not your home address? That way you can take them round when they turn up? Problem might be is then you look like you're scamming them...
    Give them your address, but store it at a friend/relatives until sold.
    It's being kept in the locked (built into the house brick wall kinda) garage with a ford mondeo sat in front of the garage with clear visibility all round the street so they're not going to have much luck :p but yea, basically told everyone to feel free to make me an offer or come to see it.

Someone made an offer of £125, which although confirms my suspicion I'm not going to get £500 for it, still, seems very low :grump:. It's really quite nervewracking but exciting at the same time selling a bike...
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Someone made an offer of £125, which although confirms my suspicion I'm not going to get £500 for it, still, seems very low :grump:. It's really quite nervewracking but exciting at the same time selling a bike...
    Say you've had a higher offer, play them off against each other :p
    For the min I'm not replying, need some thinking time :). Already one bid on after 12 hours being up, looks like it's going to do well!

I think posting a link to it on www.visordown.com (a biker's forum) has helped it :yippe:
    Is it just not working because the battery is flat? If you store it for a long time without starting the engine it'll just go flat, which would explain the clicking noise.
    Maybe. I tried charging up the battery though, with a 4amp charger (I think it's 4amp, may be 6amp) suited for motorcycle batteries. Then the lights came on so I assumed all was good.

But you're probably right :p I just want rid of it tbh! Whoever buys it will have difficulty pushing it into a van though, the front wheel is a bit locked because the brake is stuck on (at one point in the tyres revolution).
    I think a fair few know it might be just the battery. I think it's more than that though heh, but if they want to outsmart me...

Everyone keeps saying 'how much for the GS, can pay asap', and like... I just say 'make me an offer'
    Just a word of warning Maestro, never let someone collecting something in person pay by Paypal. If they decide to be arseholes and start a dispute you won't have a leg to stand on.
    There will be signed receipts when the transaction occurs, along with DVLA documents and everything. But already said cash on collection only. Not sure whether to ask for a deposit too though to avoid people buying it then deciding when they see it 'ooh i don't really want it now'.
    Well it's doing super well. I'm surprised :)
    lmao, when i read the first two lines or so of this thread i thought you were selling a push bike, i was thinking wtf! made me rofl when i realised it wasn't xD
    Has it sold yet?? Were you happy with the price?

My bloke has his car nicked after advertising it on ebay and autotrader. Someone came round to view before bidding, asked a lot of questions, spotted there was no immobiliser and the car got nicked off his driveway the next day.

I sold a car on ebay and when they turned up after winning the auction they tried to start tyre kicking, admittedly they had paid over the odds for the car but they had the opportunity to view beforehand if they wanted to.

Vehicles on ebay always attract a lot of attention and you will always get offers to sell outside of ebay as you can cut costs on fees etc.
    My Dad bought his car off ebay. It has done him well and he got a proper bargain.

However, my brother bought his mo-ped/scooter thing off ebay and its broke now.

I sold my first ever item on ebay today. This made me happy :D