Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

souls

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote: »
    It's only a book y'know. You may as well base your life on Lord of the Rings.

Hi Blagsta, just catching up with the boards, and glad to see the same things (even if I disagree :) )

I think we have souls - the body is far more than flesh and bones, science only understands a fraction of what the brain actually does, and the body does things that are just plain wierd - like if you think better you get better. not that this really explains why i think we have souls, I'll work on an answer to that!
    xsazx wrote: »
    .. the only mention was that peter was metaphorically Jesus's church yet its still such a large part of the christain community. Its more down to tradition than fact though

The point about Peter being the 'rock' on which the RC church was built is actually based on a mistranslation. Jesus calls Peter a 'stone' - not a 'rock'. In addition, Peter never went to Rome anyway ...
    Teagan wrote: »
    The point about Peter being the 'rock' on which the RC church was built is actually based on a mistranslation. Jesus calls Peter a 'stone' - not a 'rock'. In addition, Peter never went to Rome anyway ...

off topic slightly

that reminds me, (I am a bit vague on this - its from memory) when Jesus says this, they have not long ago been in the world centre of pig worship (Gadarenes) (this is where the herd of pigs just ran down the hill in to the lake - the soul of this god and of the earth) and Jesus is declared as God's Son.

stone is right - but I think the context is that its not Peter who is called a stone, rather Peter's response. Its the "corner stone" or "foundation stone" of a belief - that belief - Jesus is the son of the living God
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    No, that's just the chemical reactions that happen in your body when you see or think of someone you have a strong attraction to. I love my parents but I don't get a racing heart or butterflies in my stomach when I see them.

I think there is still some measurable changes when you see/are around your parents. Its a different type of love, a bond that is noticable from the first day of life - again biological
    I hope there's something after all the shit i've been through. Would be cool to come back as a ghost and help my friends oout when i'm deaded. If you give me your lottery numbers now, i'll see what i can do when i'm on the other side :D
    I think we do. But i don't believe in heaven and hell.
    I think we just die. There is nothing after. As for near death experiences, for some reason when your about to die the pineal gland in your brain is put under intense pressure and releases DMT which causes a mental trip and then you get that NDE.

If you can have a read of DMT: The Spirit Molecule - an amazing book to say the least.

Also a good watch http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=1095220859246890757&q=near+death+experience
    I believe in souls, reincarnation ect

But I also believe that animals have souls. I once said this to a Christian, they said that my beliefs are bullshit and wrong. I asked them to prove that they're right, they couldn't.

:rolleyes:
    J wrote: »
    They say the same about shizophrenia, that the dopamine levels in autopsied schizophrenia patients are higher and therefore this is proof that chemicals control us. I on the other hand believe that it's our thoughts that control the chemicals. Think about it. The signals come into our brains through our eyes, we think about it (as is the way of the brain) and then the chemicals change to give us feelings of love.
    If it's all chemicals and things like that controling through our emotions then how can anyone possibly be guilty of a crime? Wasn't me your homour, I just lost my temper because of high levels of a certain chemical existed when x y and z conditions existed in my miind as a result of being indused by external factors.
    Well that would explain the 80% of prisoners (or something like that) with some kind of mental health disorder. I'd say a classic example of someone not being able to control themselves would be a person with anger management issues, that get's into fights a lot, or is guilty of domestic violence or road rage.
    Namaste wrote: »
    I believe in souls, reincarnation ect

But I also believe that animals have souls. I once said this to a Christian, they said that my beliefs are bullshit and wrong. I asked them to prove that they're right, they couldn't.

:rolleyes:

Bit stupid if they do have souls. You can't pet a soul in heaven you know?
    souls? pfft

do be daft