Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Chavez shuts down independent TV network

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Chavez acting like the dictator he is.

I somehow don't think Ken Livingstone will be condemning his friend... Livingstone after all has no qualms about sucking up to Castro - and we all know how Castro treats journalists... Cuba's free press died long ago. Looks like Venezuela will go the same way. It's just rather frightening that London's Mayor cannot bring himself to condemn the actions of his friends (whether it's a Muslim fanatic calling for the beheading of gay people or a leftist tyrant crushing free speech). Still, I suppose it's early, maybe Livingstone will speak out... but realistically I can't see myself taking my words back.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    this is really iffy :s
    yes a TV station might be heavily biased, but that doesn't mean it should be shut down
    Bad move. :(
    Would a TV station in this country not be totally in the shit if it constantly reported things in a biased way or campaigned against the current government?
    Would a TV station in this country not be totally in the shit if it constantly reported things in a biased way or campaigned against the current government?

not really, ever seen sky news? :lol: or tonight (let's scare you like those made up scam warning emails) with trever mcdonald

It would also be in the shit if it reported bias for the Government, but I can't see Chavez closing down the state run TV network....
    *yawns*

This is a surprise?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I don't agree. Or Disagree.

The free press is SHIT. Independant Journalism is WANK. The Sun. The Daily Star. The Telegraph, The Guardian.
    Hell, I have to say it - The Daily Mail.

All generally, I can find much fault with. Full of, usually, bullshit and sensationalist wank. And the motherfucking Celebrities doing shopping ZXOMG! Fuck off. I want news, and I want it proper.

Not that State Press is any better. HAVE SOME PROPAGANDA. ALL IS WELL HERE. IGNORE THE COLLAPSING ECONOMY.

No solution honestly. I couldn't care. People will always form thier own opinions though with State Press stories. People rely too much on the honesty of the "free" press though. They are always feeding us shit and keeping us dumbed down. The biggest weapon of capitalism is the free press. Print is dangerous.