Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should We Be Celebrating St George's Day?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
After reading this article I am curious to find out what others here on the site think.

I personally never celebrate St George's Day but I really do agree that this day should be recognised as a day of importance much like St Patrick's Day for Ireland and Burns Night for Scotland. Another bank holiday would be nice too! :thumb:

But seriously, why doesn't England recognise its heritage and why does this day pass with such little celebration, I think we should be doing more, what do you think?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Staff have welcomed the day off, with one saying: "We should have the right to be proud to be English."
    In other words "yes please, give us another bank holiday. Lovely day for a barbie innit?"
    :D

It should be a bank holiday though. England could well be the only country in the entire world which doesn't mark its national day with a bank holiday.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    It should be a bank holiday though. England could well be the only country in the entire world which doesn't mark its national day with a bank holiday.

Probably true.

I'm ashamed to say I saw a poster up in town the other day with something about St. Georges Day on, and I had to stop and think when it actually was. :blush: I could tell you when St. Patricks Day is though without hesitation.
    They all should be, I wouldnt complain living in England. :D I celebrated St. Davids Day by getting absolutely wasted on a pub crawl with 50 other Welshies. Exeter didnt know what had hit it. Organised by yours truely too.
    only reason people celebrate st patricks day is cause guiness use it for advertising
    If people give enough of a shit about it, then they'll celebrate it and employers would have more holiday requests for that day than any other. Instead, all we get every year is the same 1% of the population that actually give a shit moaning that the other 99% don't, and the occasional bout of thinly disguised racism in a couple of the papers.

Having said that, if making it a holiday would get me another day off and shut those fuckers up, I'd be all for it.
    Yeah why not. Any excuse for a piss up :razz:
    I will be celebrating.
    lipsy wrote: »
    Yeah why not. Any excuse for a piss up :razz:
    Exactly :D
    Pink_Angel wrote: »
    But seriously, why doesn't England recognise its heritage

Its heritage of dragon slaying? :razz:
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    George Stobbart slew a dragon on the Tor, in Broken Sword 3, using the Excalibur nontheless. But he's American, and the dragon was the leader of the neo-Templars who transformed because of lay lines.
    It really happened! :p
    I read recently that the UK has the fewest bank holidays in Europe.

I'm now convinced I'm not moving over anytime soon. :p
    I personally never celebrate St George's Day but I really do agree that this day should be recognised as a day of importance much like St Patrick's Day for Ireland and Burns Night for Scotland.
    Burns night isnt really celebrated *that* much in Scotland, although Im sure someone is campaigning for it to be a national holiday so I wont say no to that :D
    If the English want a day off to celebrate a Turk who slayed a non-existent dragon....:shocking:
    the who did what? bank holidays are annoying tbh, can't get anything done.
    After reading this article I am curious to find out what others here on the site think.

I personally never celebrate St George's Day but I really do agree that this day should be recognised as a day of importance much like St Patrick's Day for Ireland and Burns Night for Scotland. Another bank holiday would be nice too! :thumb:

But seriously, why doesn't England recognise its heritage and why does this day pass with such little celebration, I think we should be doing more, what do you think?

I did not find your post confusing; I'm not surprised though that some people feel "foggy" when they read it. This of course has nothing to do with your writing style or competence; most people just don't get why it matters. Furthermore, it has been politically incorrect for some time to "think" that it matters.

St. George's Day is April the 23rd. He was a nobleman who refused to carry out the Roman Emperor's command to systematically persecute Christians. He was the kind of man who would have stood up to Nazi death camps, greedy slave traders, pimps and drug dealers. A true hero of The Faith; a man who willingly gave his life to prevent it from being used to harm his fellow Christians.

He is the patron Saint of England.
    Wasn't he like a Palestinian or something?
    Namaste wrote: »
    Wasn't he like a Palestinian or something?

Turkish. It's irrelevant though. St Patrick isn't even Irish and he's our patron saint.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Turkish. It's irrelevant though. St Patrick isn't even Irish and he's our patron saint.

But at least he visited Ireland (albeit involuntarily)
    But at least he visited Ireland (albeit involuntarily)

And he got rid of the snakes. :thumb:
    Yerascrote wrote: »

he was roman. turkey didnt exist in 300ad
    Saint George gave his own life to stand up to the murderous, immoral and unjust persecution of his fellow Christians and England made him their patron saint. Not surprisingly, some people find that reprehensible/unworthy of their attention. After all, England's heritage is full of Christianity and England is full of self-loathing.
    Lmao! :D
    barkmoss wrote: »
    Saint George gave his own life to stand up to the murderous, immoral and unjust persecution of his fellow Christians and England made him their patron saint. Not surprisingly, some people find that reprehensible/unworthy of their attention. After all, England's heritage is full of Christianity and England is full of self-loathing.

There's no tradition linked to celebrating St George - so an attempt to make it a bank holiday is basically people looking for a free day off, nothing to do with loving or loathing England's heritage.

Its not like he's unique to England (like st Paddy is to Ireland, or Andrew to Scotland). Half the world seems to have him, including Georgia and Palestinian Christians - oh and its also been suggested that he should be the patron saint of same-sex marriages.
    I don't even know what St Georges day is? Well i know what it is but i've got no idea what we're meant to be celebrating and i ain't really bothered either.
    Lacy wrote: »
    I don't even know what St Georges day is? Well i know what it is but i've got no idea what we're meant to be celebrating and i ain't really bothered either.

That is not surprising.
    barkmoss wrote: »
    You are quite mad.
    We celebrate nearly everyone elses, except our own so why not. I can't see it catching on tbh, the money grubbers who run the country wouldn't allow it.

God i'm cynical.
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Its heritage of dragon slaying? :razz:

by a turkish/palestinian born christian whose celebrated in like 6 other regions around europe :p catalunya is one i believe

only st patricks day is celebrated like mad, st davids day and st andrews day isnt that much

noone stops people celebrating it, it's just at a bad time of year and hasnt really been celebrated for centuries as we've had the UK to worry about here in england :P
    I *would* like to celebrate our Patron Saint's day... but I don't get paid for bank holidays, so yet another one off would just be another drain.

Oh, and they should change the date to later in the year if they must! Not enough breaks in the latter parts of the year... :lol:
    I don't care either way to be honest.

Incidentally, why are people talking about Burns' Night and not St. Andrew's Day for the Scots? I love Burns' Night (mostly 'cos it's my birthday!) but nonetheless...