Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

French Elections

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know anything about these? The candidates? The issues? Seems to me that this should effect us more than the American elections (boy is that statement wrong so far though). So who would be best for Europe as a whole? Because none of us really give a shit about France, do we? Oh, and I'll say from the outset that I don't have a clue about anything on this topic.

Comments

• Options
    Well, Presidents in Europe are basically like the Queen in their function although I'm led to believe the French President has slightly more powers. It won't have that much of an impact on our lives. LePen won't win, that last time was a fluke, I want that girl Royal to win but that's just me.
  • Options
    Yes I want Royal to win too.

So long as Le Cunt doesn't make it to the second round...
  • Options
    I'm not too bothered about French politics, it has very little effect on us. But I would like to see Segolene Royal win, (I'm sure she could bring a bit of glamour to French politics) :D

Unfortunately the odds favour Sarkozy, but Jean Marie Le Pen doesn't stand much chance (according to betfair ;))

:thumb:

[URL="javascript:interface_displayMoreInfo(5864458, 'O', null, 1537496, 'Standard', null, 1);"]
    [/URL]
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I'm not too bothered about French politics, it has very little effect on us.
    You sure about that? How about us and Germany subsidising France's farming industry?
  • Options
    You sure about that? How about us and Germany subsidising France's farming industry?

Not going to change whoever gets in (and is part of wider EU rather than just French specific).

Its probably true that whoever is the next US President impacts on us more (not just us of course, but a large chunk of the world)
  • Options

Like Flashman said, the US president will have more of an effect on the UK.

As far as the French presidency goes, I see it having little direct effect on the UK or me. Whoever the next president of France is I cant see it directly effecting UK interest rates or employment.

:thumb:
  • Options
    We are part of the EU. France is a powerful member of the EU as well. In the long term there will be some effect on UK interests. Not massively, but some effect nonetheless.

Those who believe in tighter immigration controls and freer capitalism should be wishing for a Nicolas Sarkozy victory, just as those interested in social justice should wish Royal well, because even if indirectly what the winner advocates and does will end up affecting the UK. They are Britain's closest neighbours as well as EU partners. How could it be otherwise?

I'm sure the naziboys here will be wishing for a Le Pen victory, and not just out of solidarity.
  • Options
    On EU there not too far apart. Neither wish to reform CAP, both wish to revisit the constitution to make it more France centric.

On economics Sarkozy and Royale aren't that far apart. Both are committed not to reform - Royale is open with this. Sarkozy is a bit more circumspect, but both believe in the French model.

Obviously they'll be some differences and some impact on the UK, but its not that much compared to elections in other places

As an aside the Irish Republic are our nearest neighbours and there elections probably are more important to the UK
  • Options
    Sarkozy is the only candidate who will attempt to reform and modernise France. I think he'll win but I'm not sure he'll have much success in bringing in badly needed reforms, the French seem too stubborn to change for a start and the unions will provide a strong opposition... I suppose the hope is that Sarkozy will not like Chirac back down following any union opposition.

That said, a flagging France increasingly unable to compete could benefit Britain - from a selfish British perspective I suppose a Royale win could be good news. As for Le Pen there's a very slim chance of him making it to the second round but there's absolutely no chance of him winning.