Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

"Ghost yacht"

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6574547.stm

This reminds me of a story I heard once, about a ship that was found sailing with its crew gone, and many things showed that they either all left in a hurry or somehow disappered. There was a still lit pipe on the floor, and I think I half-eaten piece of chocolate.
Maybe this is something similar? I think it could very well be a "paranormal" phenomenon.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Yes, that was it!
    Yeah I read about it earlier, free grub!!
    Hm, according to that wikipedia page the "myserious disappearance" was fiction... But it still sounds similar to this new story.
    There was a program on TV a few months ago which came up with a very plausible theory to why the Marie Celeste was empty and everything looked like it had just been left in a hurry.

It was to do with the type of cargo they were carrying that appeared to catch fire, the crew got off the boat in a panic but because of the weather, were unable to keep a trailing rope attached to their lifeboats (I seem to remember).

It was a very plausible theory and would debunk any supernatural phenomenon.
    Right so there was a fire that was so small that it didn't even burn the ship down, even though the cargo was alcohol !?

lol
    Right so there was a fire that was so small that it didn't even burn the ship down, even though the cargo was alcohol !?

lol
    The most plausible theories are based on the barrels of alcohol. Briggs had never hauled such a dangerous cargo and did not trust it. Nine barrels leaking would cause a build up of vapor in the hold. Historian Conrad Byers believed that Captain Briggs ordered the hold to be opened. There was a violent rush of fumes and then steam. Captain Briggs believed the ship was about to explode and ordered everyone into the lifeboat. In his haste, he failed to properly secure the lifeboat to the ship with a strong towline. The wind picked up and blew the ship away from them. The occupants of the lifeboat either drowned or drifted out to sea to die of hunger, thirst and exposure.

A refinement of this theory was proposed in 2005 by German historian Eigel Wiese. At his suggestion, scientists at University College London created a scale construction of the ship's hold to test the theory of the vapor's ignition due to the volatile cargo of alcohol. Using butane as the fuel and paper cubes as the barrels, the hold was sealed and the vapor ignited. The force of the explosion blew the hold doors open and shook the scale model, which was about the size of a coffin. Ethanol burns at a relatively low temperature with a flash point of 13 °C or 55.4 °F. A minimal spark is needed, for example from two metal objects rubbing together. None of the paper cubes was damaged, nor even left with scorch marks. This theory may explain the remaining cargo found intact and the fracture on the ship's rail, possibly by one of the hold doors. This burning of the alcohol vapor in the hold would have been awesome and perhaps enough to scare the crew into lowering the boat, but the flames would not have been hot enough to have left burn marks. A frayed rope trailing in the water behind the boat is suggested to be evidence that the crew remained attached to the ship hoping that the emergency would pass. The ship was abandoned when under full sail and a storm was recorded shortly after. It is possible that the rope to the lifeboat parted because of the force from the ship under full sail. A small boat in a storm would not have fared as well as the Mary Celeste.

Of course it could have been space aliens...
    Hasn't something like this happened before where people on a boat have wanted the outside world to think they have dissapeared and nodoubt perished... where the reality is they've started a new life somewhere else...

Just a thought.

lol

See? Who feels silly now? ;)
    :banghead:
    Nash wrote: »
    Hasn't something like this happened before where people on a boat have wanted the outside world to think they have dissapeared and nodoubt perished... where the reality is they've started a new life somewhere else...

Just a thought.
    Perhaps the most likely of suggestions. :yes:
    Easy way to collect insurance as well. Presumably in such cases they don't have to wait the customary 7 years before declaring someone dead?
    Load of bollocks, i bet they've either;
    Been attacked by pirates
    Read about the Marie Celeste and done it as a prank.
    Stranded on some strange island inhabited by the Dharma Iniative in the South pacific.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Stranded on some strange island inhabited by the Dharma Iniative in the South pacific.

:lol:
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Went for a swim, failed to anchor.
    YARR pirates.
    KGB got 'em.
    Want to change identity and flee - perfect way to do it! In STYLEEEZZ.
    A fucking ace shot sniper had 'em.
    It was the lizards.