Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Making appointments during school hours

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Is there any reason why it's unacceptable for me to make a very important doctor's apppintment during schooll, but it's acceptable for one of the girls on my course to go to the hospital? (which she took a whole day off for)

The thing is, I've NEVER missed a day of 6th form, yet am being told that I can't make a doctor's appointment, but it's acceptable for others to leave early because thye need to pick their younger brother's up.

Another thing - my tutor actually knows what I possibly have (as I told her) and she's still telling me 'oh you can't make a doctor's appointment during school' - even though I've spent the last nine days in pain...:rolleyes: And getting a doctor's appointment is impossible - the earliest I can get one is Friday morning.

Mentioned this to mum and she said at the end of the day, my health is more important than my edcuation and if I really do need to make an appointment, don't say anything and just don't bother turning up to school.

[/rant over]
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'd say that's stupid of your school; if the doctor can write a note where you were they should accept it.
    But your mum is right.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Apparantely, they do accept doctor's notes, but you're only allowed to make appointments out of school - for me that would be a Friday afternoon, when I have homework to do.:rolleyes:
    So just don't go to school. Surely they'll not kick you out if you miss a day or few hours.
    Just go to the doctors babe and sod school. I'm not encouraging you to not do your work :razz: but at the end of the day your Mum is right, health is way more important. And it's only one day :)
    They won't, but they do have a go at people who miss a day of school.
    Sofie wrote: »
    They won't, but they do have a go at people who miss a day of school.
    Then tell them that they should fuck off because you needed to go and couldn't go at a different time (well, in different words). If they don't get that health is more important than their stupid school they're not worth listening to.
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Just go to the doctors babe and sod school. I'm not encouraging you to not do your work :razz:

I do understand what you're saying though.

I have a feeling I'm only being told no because I'd arranged with my tutor to have Thursday afternoons off to go and do GCSE Science Resit...
    I wouldn't ask for permission, just say "I have an appointment at X time" and then go. Whether they require a note about it or not is the only think I think about.

It's all about laying down the law. ;)
    Jaloux wrote: »
    I wouldn't ask for permission, just say "I have an appointment at X time" and then go. Whether they require a note about it or not is the only think I think about.

If I do that then they won't pay me.
    Jaloux wrote: »
    I wouldn't ask for permission, just say "I have an appointment at X time" and then go.

This is what I would do. You don't seem the type to be bunking off every other hour, and they should respect you for this, especially at sixth form, where you're there because you want to continue learning, not because it's compulsory.

I am probably only saying this so determindly because I've had a row with my head of faculty this morning and am very much against all teachers. But I still stand by what I've said, just in a more polite form :)
    If I do that then they won't pay me.
    ...They pay you to got to school? :confused:

...Oh, you should have said in the beginning that you're WORKING in a school. This changes things!
    Sod that. My college still say that now, but at the end of the day, GP appointments are like gold dust and if I'm given one during college, I'll damn well go to it. Health is more important than school/college. Especially if you have long term health complaints...
    go see the doc anyway. schools seem to think they own your soul, but guess what, THEY DON'T! so, sod them, in fact, take the whole day off just to prove a point. and if they disagree with you, get your mum to go in and back you up.

...Oh, you should have said in the beginning that you're WORKING in a school. This changes things!

EMA I'm assuming??? Sofie, go to your docs appointment. If it's the only time you can get it then so be it. I'm pretty certain they can't not give you your allowance for missing one morning of College. Your health is far more important than money and exams at the end of the day and the school should realise that.
    Loopi wrote: »
    EMA I'm assuming??? Sofie, go to your docs appointment. If it's the only time you can get it then so be it. I'm pretty certain they can't not give you your allowance for missing one morning of College. Your health is far more important than money and exams at the end of the day and the school should realise that.
    If she's working there though, and not a student, isn't it a matter of laws and hiring agreement (or whatever that's called)?
    Nutter wrote: »
    schools seem to think they own your soul, but guess what, THEY DON'T!
    Yes that's exactly what they think! Hmmm.
    so, sod them, in fact, take the whole day off just to prove a point.
    Just exactly what point would she be making?

No. I'm a student and get paid to attend school.
    GP appointments are like gold dust

Indeed they are. There are no appointments until next Friday morning so if I want one earlier than that, I'll have to phone up at 8am that day and see if I get one.

I really don't get it though - my tutor knows I've got something wrong with me and has told me I need to go to the doctor, yet won't allow me to go during school hours.:rolleyes:
    If she's working there though, and not a student, isn't it a matter of laws and hiring agreement (or whatever that's called)?
    I reckon we should wait for Sofie to explain a little more eh??? ;)

ETA: She already has!!
    No. I'm a student and get paid to attend school.
    :confused: Off topic, but how does that make sense?

In any case, just tell them to fuck off and go to the doctor.
    :confused: Off topic, but how does that make sense?

In any case, just tell them to fuck off and go to the doctor.

EMA - the govt now pay pupils to stay on in sixth form in an attempt to get more people to stay on and receive more education. It also forces pupils to turn up to lessons otherwise they don't get it. It's a ridiculous system which encourages a lot of pupils that would be far more suited to getting jobs to stay on at school where they turn up for lessons (because they have to) and do fuck all. I'm sure Sofie isn't one of them though, which is why she's so concerned about pissing anyone off.
    EMA I'm assuming??? Sofie, go to your docs appointment. If it's the only time you can get it then so be it. I'm pretty certain they can't not give you your allowance for missing one morning of College

I will get paid EMA if I have a valid excuse, which doesn't include medical appointments.
    School don't actually realise that health is more important than school.

Indeed they don't. They've never realised this though.
    Tell your tutor that you can't go out of school hours. Our GP is open between 9-6, so the likelihood of me having to miss college to get to the appointment on time is huge. Your health is far more important than school, and if they still say they won't let you do it, then make a complaint. Seriously, that's bullshit. It's a legitimate reason why you're not in class, as well (or it is in my college), so they should still pay you EMA (not that I know much about it).
    EMA - the govt now pay pupils to stay on in sixth form in an attempt to get more people to stay on and receive more education. It also forces pupils to turn up to lessons otherwise they don't get it. It's a ridiculous system which encourages a lot of pupils that would be far more suited to getting jobs to stay on at school where they turn up for lessons (because they have to) and do fuck all. I'm sure Sofie isn't one of them though, which is why she's so concerned about pissing anyone off.

:yes:

I believe I got told today that if I don't turn up, I won't pass my course:yeees: of course I won't - that's why I've done quite a bit more work than other people.:rolleyes:
    It's a legitimate reason why you're not in class, as well

According to the leaflet I got, it's not. Yet, they allow you to take time to do a driving test.:yeees:
    I will get paid EMA if I have a valid excuse, which doesn't include medical appointments.

Indeed they don't. They've never realised this though.

Ah, in that case, it's not down to your school. The EMA guidelines are set in stone by someone much higher up. Your teacher is merely advising you of them, which is why she's giving quite mixed messages. Any chance you can afford to miss one week's EMA?? It's that simple really. School will let you have the time off but the nasty EMA people won't pay you. It's your choice really: health or money? I don't know your situation to know how much you need the money so I'm afraid that I can't advise.

According to the leaflet I got, it's not. Yet, they allow you to take time to do a driving test.:yeees:
    Fucking ridiculous system!! I hate EMA. GRRRRRRR
    Ah, in that case, it's not down to your school. The EMA guidelines are set in stone by someone much higher up. Your teacher is merely advising you of them, which is why she's giving quite mixed messages. Any chance you can afford to miss one week's EMA?? It's that simple really. School will let you have the time off but the nasty EMA people won't pay you. It's your choice really: health or money? I don't know your situation to know how much you need the money so I'm afraid that I can't advise.

I mentioned the stupid system to mum and she did say to me earlier in the week that if I don't get paid because of going to a doctor's appointment, she's just going to say something along the lines of me throwing up all night or something like that.
    I mentioned the stupid system to mum and she did say to me earlier in the week that if I don't get paid because of going to a doctor's appointment, she's just going to say something along the lines of me throwing up all night or something like that.

Sounds like a better idea. If being ill is a valid reason, go with that. Or claim you're sitting your driving test or any other 'valid' excuse.
    TBH, I don't understand why a driving test is considered 'valid' but medical appointments aren't...
    TBH, I don't understand why a driving test is considered 'valid' but medical appointments aren't...

I'm assuming that it made sense to someone when they wrote the rules and regulations. Unfortunately to the rest of use poor souls, the whole system is a sham. It makes a mockery of sixth form studies and just makes life difficult for sensible people like yourself.
    Fucking ridiculous system!! I hate EMA. GRRRRRRR
    I agree.

That's just bullshit, seriously.

Tell them you're having your driving test ;).