Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Just received pamphlet from government re smoking laws- WTF??

Our shop, I suspect together with every other business in the country, has just received a letter from HM Government. In it there was a colour brochure about the forthcoming anti-smoking laws and what we must do as a business.

The envelope also contained a number of 'no smoking' sign stickers. At first I thought 'how cute, they're sending us freebies'. But then I read the pamphlet and saw this:
No-smoking signs will need to be displayed in a prominent position at every public entrance to smokefree premises. These must meet the following minimum requirements:

- be a minimum of A5 in area (210mm x 148mm)
- display the international no-smoking symbol* at least 70mm in diameter
- carry the following words in characters that can be easily read: 'No smoking. It is against the law to smoke in these premises'

And it doesn't end there... we are also required to ban smoking and put a no smoking sticker on any company vehicle that is ever used by more than one person, even if never at the same time.

Seeing as practically 100% of all shops have been non-smoking for years (when was the last time anyone could light up a cigarette inside Harrods?) what the flying fuck is the government doing demanding that every single shop and premise in the country must display an A5 sticker on their front door?

Can you imagine what is that going to look like?

Why not put stickers up warning people that it is illegal to masturbate, murder or set fire to things inside shops and premises as well?

If this fascist twats think we're going to put a sticker on our front door they're in for a fucking surprise.

Wankers :mad: :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »

Can you imagine what is that going to look like?

How bloody ridiculous. Fair enough in pubs and resturants etc.... but shops? Who thinks to spark up while their doing their weekly fruit and veg run?!
    Sounds like Nazi Germany :D

Its a shame the government are being such tossers over this smoking legislation. It was on the news yesterday that certain bus shelters are classed as enclosed spaces; therefore anyone smoking in them will be fined.
    I thought shops were no smoking anyway?
    I thought shops were no smoking anyway?

Exactly, you'd be hard pressed to find one that isn't. It's ridiculous how complicated and petty this smoking ban is getting (and my non smoking friends agree so I'm not just biased :))
    Calvin wrote: »
    Sounds like Nazi Germany :D

Its a shame the government are being such tossers over this smoking legislation. It was on the news yesterday that certain bus shelters are classed as enclosed spaces; therefore anyone smoking in them will be fined.

It sounds nothing like Nazi Germany for a start.

The shop thing does sound silly, is it part of the law?

Good, bus shelters should count, it's horrible when you are waiting in one and it's raining so you have to stand under it and then people are smoking.
    whats the big deal about putting a sign in the door??
    you'd be suprised at how many people come in the shop where i work whilst smoking
    I guess until now it was up to the proprietors but I have never in my life seen a single shop anywhere that allows smoking.

And yet these tossers are saying we must put a non smoking sticker at the door. For a policy that has been in place for decades and is universally known.

And how about the company vehicles? Are they really suggesting that if an employee uses a company van on a Friday and lights a cigarette, it is not acceptable for another driver to use the same van on a Monday?

FFS! They make it sound worse than polonium-210. Can we ban people ever having food in all public places? The smell bothers me.
    katchika wrote: »

Good, bus shelters should count, it's horrible when you are waiting in one and it's raining so you have to stand under it and then people are smoking.

Get yourself an umbrella
    Territt wrote: »
    whats the big deal about putting a sign in the door??
    I don't want to be told to put a sign on my shop's door. Why should we?

Can you imagine how stupid, Orwellian and nazi-state country the place is going to look with every single shop on every high street displaying an A5 sign saying "No smoking. It is against the law to smoke in these premises"?

Why not have signs for every other activity that is not allowed?
    Calvin wrote: »
    Get yourself an umbrella

Um, no, the smoker should get one as they are the ones being anti-social. Whatever happened to manners and someone asking "do you mind if I smoke?"
    You could have one of those ones like they have in swimming pools -
    No running
    No Diving
    No Bombing
    No Petting
    NO SMOKING DAMMIT

and put that up in your shop.
    It seems to me that Tony and his cronies want to micro-manage every aspect of our lives. But I guess that draconian laws like this are all part of Labour giving us a 'fairer society'.
    FFS! They make it sound worse than polonium-210.

Which, out of interest is found in ciggerette smoke.
    budda wrote: »
    Which, out of interest is found in ciggerette smoke.

Quick! I need a sticker for my mouth!
    Does it say what you cAN'T SMOKE?
    a revolution is in order!

um...not really.. but i imagine there will be one soon
    Seeing as practically 100% of all shops have been non-smoking for years (when was the last time anyone could light up a cigarette inside Harrods?) what the flying fuck is the government doing demanding that every single shop and premise in the country must display an A5 sticker on their front door?

How stupid. Surely any person with common sense would know that you can't light up anywhere like shops?:rolleyes:

I've never seen shops put a no smoking sign - even though they're all non smoking. So why bother now?
    The dude who works in my local video store has a roll-up permanently hanging in his mouth.
    Upon further study of the pamphlet I've discovered we risk a £150 fine if we don't put the stickers up.

It's even crazier when it comes to company vehicles. Employees who smoke can do so inside their company car, but if two of them share a car nobody is allowed to light up- even if they're both smokers and both want to smoke at the same time.
    katchika wrote: »
    It sounds nothing like Nazi Germany for a start.

Except that smoking bans originated in Nazi Germany...
    Except that smoking bans originated in Nazi Germany...

Cant argue with that one :D
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It can help store owners, actually. Instead of saying "No smoking allowed" to someone who enters, they can frown, librarian style, and point at the sticker. :p
    It's even crazier when it comes to company vehicles. Employees who smoke can do so inside their company car, but if two of them share a car nobody is allowed to light up- even if they're both smokers and both want to smoke at the same time.

WTF?

So, does this mean if I was to own a shop and was a smoker, I'd have to obey this law and still put up the sticker saying no smoking?
    Sofie wrote: »
    WTF?

So, does this mean if I was to own a shop and was a smoker, I'd have to obey this law and still put up the sticker saying no smoking?
    I love the smoking ban and I am in support of it, but I do think it is getting out of hand down there, I believe it is different in scotland, Most shops seem to have them anyway (normally 3 signs in one) no smoking, no dogs no food/drink) but they don't seem to have to be A5 size,

I may be wrong, but I do support the smoking ban, just some of what they'redoing is stupid.
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I love the smoking ban and I am in support of it, but I do think it is getting out of hand down there

Agreed. Wouldn't surprise me in a few years if they make selling tobacco illegal...
    Most shops seem to have them anyway (normally 3 signs in one) no smoking, no dogs no food/drink) but they don't seem to have to be A5.

I've seen those signs loads of times - they just seem to be circles; but aren't A5 size.
    Sofie wrote: »
    WTF?

If it is a company car and it is to be used by more than one person, yes, you would be obliged to put the sticker on and to ban everyone from smoking. Only if you are the sole driver of the business vehicle you may smoke.

Even if your business consists of two employees who both smoke they wouldn't be allowed to smoke in the van, either together or separately. That's how I understand it anyway. See the government's own words on it (about half way down the page): http://www.smokefreeengland.co.uk/what-do-i-do/business.html

If it is your private vehicle it would be okay I guess, though I wouldn't be surprised if it would still be "illegal" for you to take a work colleague with you somewhere in your car on a work related journey and light a cigarette while they sit there.

It's absolute fucking lunacy.