Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Arsenal : Possible takeover?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Well after the dramatic exit of David Dein yesterday, after a "boardroom struggle", are Arsenal about to be subject to a takeover?

My assumption, and the assumption of others, is that any takeover will come from Stan Kroenke, and that Dein left because he wanted to sell his shares to allow Kroenke to launch a bid and the rest of the board disagreed.

What does everyone else make of it?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wasn't Dein the only person wanting to see a takeover happen? Looks like the board have decided they aren't intrested and booted Dein out as he kept trying to persuade them.
    red88 wrote: »
    Wasn't Dein the only person wanting to see a takeover happen? Looks like the board have decided they aren't intrested and booted Dein out as he kept trying to persuade them.

Another board member, Danny Fiszman has also sold some shares and at the price Kroenke bought the shares from Granada the board members would stand to make some serious cash.

I'd imagine it'll be like this:

Fitzman will leave in next few weeks also.
    Dein and Fiszman will sell their shares to Kroenke.
    Kroenke will own the 30% needed to launch a takeover (valuing the club at around £600m +)
    Kroenke or a Kroenke led consortium takes over.
    Dein comes back as chairman while Kroenke takes over the redevelopment of Highbury as he's more of a real estate person.
    Ah ok I haven't really kept up with the details of it. What do you think as an Arse fan then abou tthe takeover?
    I'm not entirely against a takeover, if we want to catch up to Chelsea, Man Utd and now Liverpool then we need a backer with wads of cash, we don't necessarily have to use it, but it'll make our position stronger. Some of the clubs below us are loaded and are making big moves in the market too; Spurs, Villa and Portsmouth come to mind.

What worries me is what'll happen to Arsene Wenger. Dein was a close friend and although I don't think he'll walk away immediately he may see out the 1 year left in his contract then move on and he's always spoken out against a takeover. He's the best man to blood the youngsters and I can't think of anyone else to replace him, though Rijkaard would prob. be the closest manager to him in terms of tactics etc.
    Thats fair enough, but I don't think a huge cash injection is really going to help Arsenal that much. Yes you could argue that they find it hard to compete when the likes of United and Chelsea are also in the hunt but when you look at Arsene's list of big money players it's not great reading. Since hes come in your strength has always been getting players who fit into the Arsenal mould rather than superstars. The likes of Pirez, Henry, Lundberg and more recently Rosicky and Hleb.

If Arsene does leave though then maybe that wouldn't really matter but if these Yanks think they will get instant success by tearing up how Arsenal has been run for the last decade they will be in for a shock I imagine.
    I'd like to say I care about Arsenal, but all I want to say now Dein has left is get Wenger for England. The most qualified manager in English football by a mile (that might actually consider doing it).
    I'd like to say I care about Arsenal, but all I want to say now Dein has left is get Wenger for England. The most qualified manager in English football by a mile (that might actually consider doing it).

I believe I read somewhere that he said he'd never do it.

Mourinho if he left Chelsea. I think he'd be good because he could handle the media well, and he could handle big egos. Hardly likely though.