Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

souls

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
do we have souls are we just brain and flesh?

when we die what happens to our souls?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We're just flesh and bones. When we die, we rot in the ground, create nutriants in the soil, which supports more life - see, eternal life ;). Unless you get eaten by a bear, but that has pretty much the same effect.
    Depends if you're religious/spiritual.
    I dont believe that we have souls. When people in my English Lit class go off on a tangeant about Heathcliff and Catherine's 'souls' merging as one I just sigh in disapproval.
    Unfortunately nobody knows for sure (if we did a lot of grief could have been saved throughout the last few thousand years).

One thing is for certain: if humans have souls, so do animals. I don't care what some religions might claim to the contrary.

Like somebody said, 'Heaven would not be Heaven if my cats are not there to greet me'.

But it is my firm belief that no, there is no such thing as souls.

There is soul music though, which is good enough.
    How are you defining soul? You mean something that science simply hasn't explained yet, or something that exists supernaturally?

Careful with your answer, I've been watching a lot of Richard Dawkins lately. :p
    How are you defining soul? You mean something that science simply hasn't explained yet, or something that exists supernaturally?

Careful with your answer, I've been watching a lot of Richard Dawkins lately. :p

Something with ectoplasm that makes you go 'woooooerrrr'

Ah I dunno :razz:
    Anyone see that program about grey matter in the universe and that some say it is the souls of people that have died?
    Of course we have souls!
    I know this because Bart sold his to Millhouse in the Simpsons.
    Do you people not learn anything from TV?
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Of course we have souls!

:lol:
    i believe we have souls

i also believe in reincarnation
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    Anyone see that program about grey matter in the universe and that some say it is the souls of people that have died?

Sounds like the Philip Pullman novel, Northern Lights. Excellent book, by the way. :)
    I think we all have souls. I don't care about having evidence. It is just my belief.
    J wrote: »
    Does love exist?

The chemical reactions that cause it do, and can be measured.
    The chemical reactions that cause it do, and can be measured.

No, that's just the chemical reactions that happen in your body when you see or think of someone you have a strong attraction to. I love my parents but I don't get a racing heart or butterflies in my stomach when I see them.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    No, that's just the chemical reactions that happen in your body when you see or think of someone you have a strong attraction to. I love my parents but I don't get a racing heart or butterflies in my stomach when I see them.

Yes but parents and close friends produce a different but equally measurable reaction. Which is why there's a difference between loving someone and being in love with someone. I watched a programme on it (so it must be true).
    Personally, I think yes... when I try and explain it to myself I get tied up in confusion but I still come back to the same opinion, I don't understand it, but I still feel it...

I also have a theory regarding first memories, I believe something happens to a child when they have a first memory... again, no idea what... My first memory is of being pushed in a pram under a bridge, I was about 18 months old... why was this my first memory? I used to think it was something to do with that being the moment a soul is passed from one to another, but I am not so sure...

I also believe that balance is restored when one person dies and another is born... maybe this is more what I am getting at...

I have an old soul, I don't know why but I have always felt it and known it, as have other people - not old as in years but as in wisdom...

At the end of the day there are some things that are not there to be understood...
    Splodgey wrote: »
    I also have a theory regarding first memories, I believe something happens to a child when they have a first memory... again, no idea what... My first memory is of being pushed in a pram under a bridge, I was about 18 months old... why was this my first memory? I used to think it was something to do with that being the moment a soul is passed from one to another, but I am not so sure...
    Did you know that not a single cell currently in your body was there during that memory? So technically you weren't physically there. ;)
    What is soul? I don't know, huh!

Soul, soul is the ring around your bath tub.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I do believe we have souls, but of course there's no way to know for sure (none that I know of, at least).
    Splodgey wrote: »
    That's an interesting theory...
    Aladdin wrote: »
    One thing is for certain: if humans have souls, so do animals. I don't care what some religions might claim to the contrary.
    :yes:
    I remember a teacher in high school just beginning to cry out of the blue during a lesson, saying that "doggies and kitties don't have souls". She was just a loon.
    J wrote: »
    I think souls are something to do with the quantum world and are electronic. Not sure how I'd prove this though.

If you're interested in that there are some very interesting books on the subject, I particularly recommend Evan Harris Walker's The Physics of Consciousness and Amit Goswami's The Self Aware Universe.
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Of course we have souls!

hahaha
    no soul
    I believe we have a soul.
    xsazx wrote: »
    yea, and heaven/afterlife too
    :yes:
    yea, and heaven/afterlife too
    Not exactly. If you take notice, the bible never mentions "afterlife". It just says everyone will rise from the dead one day, and that's when heaven and hell come into play.
    By after life I'm not meaning ressurection - more that when we go we dont just disappear and rot our souls pass on to heaven
    That's the thing though. Nowhere, as far as I remember, does it say that you die and "poof" you go to heaven or hell. It never mentions what happens when you die, only what will happen someday.
    would probably come under the teaching of purgatory (RC) or judgement day though not directly quoted in the bible is a fundimental belief of the Christian church
    Purgatory is Catholic, not Christian. And as far as I'm concerned, if it's not in that book the priests and everyone else have no reason to believe such a thing.
    It's only a book y'know. You may as well base your life on Lord of the Rings.
    hence why I put RC in brackets - roman catholic
    you could say the same for churches though, the only mention was that peter was metaphorically Jesus's church yet its still such a large part of the christain community. Its more down to tradition than fact though
    That's what I hate about (most/many) dogmatic christians. They think that somehow tradition is as important as what Jesus himself said (or is quoted to have said). Which doesn't really make much sense.
    I'd like to think that something happens after death, the thought of nothingness is a bit too big to comprehend for me i'm afraid.