Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fastest Animal

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Question from Mini-Ninja...

What would be the fastest animal in the world IF they were all the same size?

Oh to be 9yo again!!

I have tried googling but just got pages upon pages of rubbish.

Comments

• Options
    Struggling to answer this one buddy, you could argue that if you multiplied a small animals (a rat for example) speed to the same extent that you did to it's body mass to achieve a general level say a Lions, it would be one rapid creature, but then you also have to take into consideration the addition weight it would be packing...

I'd say ive you took a crocodile, shrunk it to the size of a mouse, that would perhaps be the quickest, if you added a fancy flight on the back of it and threw it really hard anyway
  • Options
    Probably one of those little natty fly things you see on ponds.
  • Options
    Spider
  • Options
    the same as the fastest animal now,

as the increased muscle and agility would be counter acted by the increase and weight, therefore countering all the effects of increasing/decreasing in size. so it'd be the same as the fastest animal today, which is..... the cheetah at aprox 70mph

(this is land animals only)
  • Options
    Probably one of those little natty fly things you see on ponds.

noooo they just hover and get blown about by the wind!

Imagine how annoying it would be to go camping and being surrounded by hundreds of those each one being 6ft...
  • Options
    not with a shotgun. that'd rock
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »

the cheetah at aprox 70mph

What i want to know is; If a cheetah is clearly so fast, why does its pray try to run away? why don't the gazelles just get tooled up and ambush him? hey hey...
  • Options
    because, were as a cheetah is really fast, it cannot sustaine the speed for a long period of time, its stamina is low, so if a gazelle is far enough away, it might just be able to run fast enough and the distance not close to much before the cheetah runs out of stamina.
  • Options
    to add, ambushing is a preditory action, gazelle's do not know it, they're not preditors.
  • Options
    to add, ambushing is a preditory action, gazelle's do not know it, they're not preditors.

True, in that case i'd have at least expecting them to get some face paint to do some cheetah like patterns on each other to blend in.

I'm disappointed with their lack of originality
  • Options
    Depends what size they became, seeing as they wouldn't all be getting shrunk/enlarged by the same amount so the speed ratio's would not stay intact.
  • Options
    The fastest animal in the world is a sort of hawk/falcon, but I dunno it's name in english (Wanderfalke), and I don't think you can make it faster by increasing or decreasing it's size, since it would either get more aerodynamic resistance or the wings would become to small to thrust aside the air.

Dunno if you made the falcon as large as a planet however and let it have a contest with a cheetah (the size of a planet)
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Dunno if you made the falcon as large as a planet however and let it have a contest with a cheetah (the size of a planet)
    And where exactly would the race take place. ;)
  • Options
    if a gazelle is far enough away, it might just be able to run fast enough and the distance not close to much before the cheetah runs out of stamina.

Also, it waits until the cheetah is nearly close and it does a u-turn because its a gazelle and it can. The cheetah is running too fast and its fatter than the gazelle so its harder for it to slow down so it takes him a while to turn. Either the gazelle then has enough time to run away, or if there's trees around it hides behind them and sneaks off. The cheetah is either out of stamina by then, or a bit pissed off at being outwitted by a gazelle and goes home

Gazelle - 1
    Cheetah - 0
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    The fastest animal in the world is a sort of hawk/falcon, but I dunno it's name in english (Wanderfalke), and I don't think you can make it faster by increasing or decreasing it's size, since it would either get more aerodynamic resistance or the wings would become to small to thrust aside the air.

:chin: Perhaps its already happened, we're all fleas on the back of a giant cheetah...
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Depends what size they became, seeing as they wouldn't all be getting shrunk/enlarged by the same amount so the speed ratio's would not stay intact.

Well I assume what he means is what is the fastest animal to scale. So you don't have to think about the physics, you just have to change the measurements to a "rat mile," a "dog mile," a "bird mile."

On second thoughts, give him a clip round the ear and tell him to stop asking stupid questions that confuse half the internet.
  • Options
    Well I assume what he means is what is the fastest animal to scale.

"The same size" != to scale.
  • Options
    And where exactly would the race take place. ;)

let's continue to argue about that, if you bred a falcon that size ^^
  • Options
    This thread is quite surreal if you read it backwards :yes:
  • Options
    Thanks for your answers :yeees:

So what your saying is that if a fast-as-fuck spider (And we all know the ones I'm talking about) was the size of a cheetah it wouldn't be able to outrun it?

And yes. That's how this question came about. One of the fast-as-fuck spiders came belting up our hallway and we all ran away screaming. Then Mini-Ninja asked that if the spider was the same size as us would it have been able to catch us. Which brought him onto the question.

Which would be the fastest animal if they were all the same size?

What about I'm with Stupids slant on things?

What is the fastest in comparison to time over relative distance?
  • Options
    Surely it'd be a flea when it jumped? Someone else mention that?

And the fastest over time would have to be something like a blue whale, salmon, etc - as even compared to birds don't fish just move huge distances without ever resting?
  • Options
    Mind you, surely the fastest animal would be krypto? Look he's clever too -

moon.gif
  • Options
    So what your saying is that if a fast-as-fuck spider (And we all know the ones I'm talking about) was the size of a cheetah it wouldn't be able to outrun it?

I'm saying the opposite; Hellfire's explanation only works if they're shrunk/enlarged by the same amount, thereby retaining their speed/size ratio's.
  • Options
    peregrine falcon in a dive I'd say ;)