Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Drug policy not working..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Says the UK Drug Policy Commission.

Apart from stating the bleeding obvious, what can be done to reduce drug usage in the UK ?

Would be interesting to know peoples views on why UK rates of drug addiction and more than double those of Germany, France, Sweden and The Netherlands. What makes the UK so unique?

My initial thoughts are the previous high unemployment in the UK, and more people living below the poverty line, but surely France, Germany etc must have had similar problems with unemployment and poverty :confused:

Personally I would like to see a complete shift in the way we deal with drugs in this country. I think more needs to be spent on educating people in the first place about drugs, and accept no matter how hard we try and how much we spend on enforcement, drugs will continue to come into the country.

:thumb:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We need to move it gradually to State control and sale.

The law is no deterant what so ever, it only increases the harms.
    budda wrote: »

I agree with the law being no deterant. I think half the time the fact that a certain drug is illegal only serves to increase its appeal.
    what can be done to reduce drug usage in the UK ?

No real suggestions from me, but it would be nice if they included alcohol in that. If I'm walking down a street, I'd much rather be surrounded by people on pills than people who have spilled out of pubs on booze.
    go_away wrote: »
    No real suggestions from me, but it would be nice if they included alcohol in that. If I'm walking down a street, I'd much rather be surrounded by people on pills than people who have spilled out of pubs on booze.

:yes:
    Calvin wrote: »
    My initial thoughts are the previous high unemployment in the UK, and more people living below the poverty line, but surely France, Germany etc must have had similar problems with unemployment and poverty :confused:

Well actually the UK doesn't have particularly high unemployment. In fact it's one of the lowest rates in Europe. France has much bigger problems in this regard.

Anyway, this story is a bit of a bears shit in woods moment really. I know that Holland in particular has a much better treatment and rehabilitation scheme for addicts, and has worked hard to seperate the less harmful drugs from the more dangerous and addictive things like heroin. Like Budda says basically, drugs need to be controlled/distributed by the state. This will result in all the bullshit that comes with the illegal drugs trade disappearing or at least being reduced hugely.
    Well actually the UK doesn't have particularly high unemployment. In fact it's one of the lowest rates in Europe. France has much bigger problems in this regard.

Anyway, this story is a bit of a bears shit in woods moment really. I know that Holland in particular has a much better treatment and rehabilitation scheme for addicts, and has worked hard to seperate the less harmful drugs from the more dangerous and addictive things like heroin. Like Budda says basically, drugs need to be controlled/distributed by the state. This will result in all the bullshit that comes with the illegal drugs trade disappearing or at least being reduced hugely.

Agreed, but can't ever see that happening.
    I went to a conference a while ago where Ann Widdicombe was talking. I'll never forget the look on her face when one of the questions posed to her was, "Isn't it time we legalise illegal drugs?" :D

Just out of interest, if legalisation did happen, how do you think it would affect the people who grow and produce the substances? Just finished a book on cocaine production in Peru, the comment regarding the US war on drugs was interesting
    I went to a conference a while ago where Ann Widdicombe was talking. I'll never forget the look on her face when one of the questions posed to her was, "Isn't it time we legalise illegal drugs?" :D
    I honestly don't see why it's such a taboo position for a politician to take. I mean if you have a conversation with people generally, I'd say it's fairly 50/50 as to whether people feel that at least some illegal drugs should be legalised. But for a politician to even suggest that cannabis should be legal is some great achievement.
    Just out of interest, if legalisation did happen, how do you think it would affect the people who grow and produce the substances? Just finished a book on cocaine production in Peru, the comment regarding the US war on drugs was interesting
    Probably wouldn't make much difference. They'd just get exploited legally rather than illegally. Most of the opium farmers in Afghanistan are being forced to grow crops to pay off "loans" so it might be beneficial to some. Obviously the value of their crops would be far less however.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Calvin wrote: »
    Would be interesting to know peoples views on why UK rates of drug addiction and more than double those of Germany, France, Sweden and The Netherlands. What makes the UK so unique?
    I think it's related to the fact that binge drinking is far more common over there too. I'm surprised by the number of people on these boards alone who seem to think it's impossible to have fun with your friends unless you drink a lot.
    My point is, anyway, that these two might be the same one issue, but I still don't have an answer for why it happens.
    exactly what someone else mentioned .. the more harmful drugs need to be seperated from the safer ones .. and i agree with budda.. all the laws do is make safety issues worse.. dealing with dodgy characters, black market drugs cut with all the shit of the day ..

i think too much of a mess has been created already for any kind of decent solution to appear
    It's not working because peopel like taking drugs - simples as
    Probably wouldn't make much difference. They'd just get exploited legally rather than illegally. Most of the opium farmers in Afghanistan are being forced to grow crops to pay off "loans" so it might be beneficial to some. Obviously the value of their crops would be far less however.

The actual value to the farmer of coca or opium is incredibly low anyway, its unlikely even in a legal market that that could go any lower. It is the wholesalers who make the profit margin, not the farmer.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    budda wrote: »

I'd agree with that.

Trying to persecute people drives it furthur underground, exactally what you DON'T want to do.
    J wrote: »
    I don't think there's much else that can be done. Just need more tip offs for controlling drug imports.

Even if the Police and customs were more effective it is likely that overall harms would go up, rather than down. Prices would go up and those dependant would have to steal even more to fund their habits.
    education and openness are the answer.
    otter wrote: »
    education and openness are the answer.

i say legalise it all .. well not all of it but most of it. Give the users who are dependant on the drug small supplies. By legalising it and selling it in designated areas they will cut out most of the dealers which should automatically reduce street crime and put dealers ( and a few of my friends ) out of businsess.

might as well because nothing else seems to work and the more they harp on about it the more desirable it probably seems to some people.

i was against drugs stongly for the first sixteen years of my life and i was well informed about them. didn't stop me though. you can't beat the buzz i think.
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    It's not working because peopel like taking drugs - simples as