Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

motorbikes and being a passenger

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Had a scary experience on Saturday night where I freaked out on the motorway (I seemed to remember that I suddenly was agoraphobic) and felt like I was slipping. It was so scary. I do the monkey hug thing anyway and I squeezed him bit he assumed I was hugging him so patted my hand. I tried yelling but of course he couldn't hear me because of the loud wind and the helmets..So I screamed in tears and he heard me and pulled over. I burst into tears and he said it wasn't very safe here and we had to scoot off. I was a bit better after that but still hated being on the motorway.

Decided not to go on the motorway with him on the bike because I felt like I was putting him and myself in danger incase I ever freak out again. I hated it. I burst into tears afterwards because of the exhaustion. It felt like I was using all of my energy just to cling on and knowing that if you let go then you're pretty much screwed was terrifying.

I know there are a few motorbike drivers among you and just wondered if I was normal really! and erm...any tips for being a good passenger :) I think I do okay but would like to know more.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hey i only just started doing the whole passenger thing but i've really enjoyed it so far. i do have occasional moments where i think "oh my god if i let go/if he misjudges a turn/if there's diesel on the road/whatever we're screwed" but then i make a really big effort to relax physically. it's hard to be all mentally tense if you're concentrating on your breathing, for example.

i've also found that it really helps to be with the guy you love - sounds stupid but i've been on a couple of times with guys who were just friends and i found it much harder to trust them to look after me. whereas i trust my fella to think of me and not do anything stupid.

i agree though, that you probably shouldn't be putting yourself and him in danger by risking a really extreme reaction again. as i said i'm only just starting out but i'd just try and relax - at the end of the day your body will do anything to keep you alive so you're not just going to randomly let go. at that stage your body would, i'm sure, take control.

other question of good passengering....i look around like, all the time when we're going along, unless we're going really really fast. i figure it must be really annoying because surely my weight shifts around when i turn my head; he always tells me that as long as i move with him on bends and corners, it doesn't matter what i do the rest of the time. is he just being nice or is it really not important?
    yeah i go on the back of my boyfriend's motorbike and i trust him with my life..i guess otherwise hell no would i get on there! Being the passenger you get to look around at all the nice scenery which obviously the driver cant do, it's brilliant when we're whizzing past countryside and i see bunnies..i do say in my helmet 'ooh bunnies!!' but of course he cant hear me :blush: I think it's alright to look around just as long as you dont turn anything from the pelvis down..When I'm on the bike I stick to looking to one side rather than turn my head. I feel safer that way.
    I've been a passengers twice (on my dad's bike) and it's scary as hell.

Yeah, I think what you've experienced is pretty normal.
    = fun :)
    I can't understand how anyone could go on the back of a motorbike :nervous: My mate went on the back of a moped and came off it on a corner so that was enough for me.

Sorry that didn't help at all.
    Lacy wrote: »
    I can't understand how anyone could go on the back of a motorbike :nervous: My mate went on the back of a moped and came off it on a corner so that was enough for me.

lacy!!! ahhh gawd, I heard the best thing to do if you come off of a bike is to get away from it because it can trap you and is heavy etc.
    Lacy wrote: »

Same here.

I could never go on the back of somebody's motorbike even if I did trust them. I'd shit myself!
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've only been on one once, but he was going very slow (not any faster than I could have run, the difference is that I couldn't have run for that much time; we were just in a hurry). I was a bit nervous as I'd never been on one before, but as I held on I didn't mind that much. I just didn't move in case I made him lose balance, although he said it wouldn't be that easy.
    Ooo, this is a bit topical for me!

Last week I stayed at my boyfriends and decided to finally go on the back of his bike. I got as far as putting the helmet on and then developed this sudden claustrophobia where I felt like I couldn't breathe and had tears streaming down my face. So we decided to try again another time and I didn't go on in the end. I think part of the problem was that we were going to be going quite a way, and I need for the first time to be just up the road and back. The whole thing petrifies me though, to be honest, I think the main thing being that I just don't think I can trust myself enough to hold on and not to let go.
    I've got a 100CC scooter and have taken people on the back a few times. It's not nice, it feels so heavy when I'm used to riding just with myself. I don't like the responsibility plus they might wiggle about and lose balance.
    Rachael wrote: »
    lacy!!! ahhh gawd, I heard the best thing to do if you come off of a bike is to get away from it because it can trap you and is heavy etc.

Lol sorry :p Chances are she wasn't holding on properly though.
    i lost a cousin to a motorbike so i wont be back on them but i love them

feels so good diriving..

sorry that post was useless
    Ooo, this is a bit topical for me!

Last week I stayed at my boyfriends and decided to finally go on the back of his bike. I got as far as putting the helmet on and then developed this sudden claustrophobia where I felt like I couldn't breathe and had tears streaming down my face. So we decided to try again another time and I didn't go on in the end. I think part of the problem was that we were going to be going quite a way, and I need for the first time to be just up the road and back. The whole thing petrifies me though, to be honest, I think the main thing being that I just don't think I can trust myself enough to hold on and not to let go.

Oh you poor thing. I know what you mean, just realised the helmet is pretty confining but I just think it looks funny now. First time I tried it on I walked around his drive doing astronaut impressions.
    I've only been on the back of a 600cc bike once but it was fantastic. I think, like the others said, if you just relax and enjoy the ride, but maybe not go on motorways you'll be fine. Oh, and that bunnies thing really made me laugh :)
    Maybe I'm just totally guttless, but the one time I rode on the back of a moped was definitely one too many.
    I think that being a passenger on a moped is pretty pointless, because they're so small that it's a hassle for the rider AND the passenger. Budda, you wanna go on the back of a proper sportsbike ;) it's FANTASTIC!
    Rachael wrote: »

If you come off I'm not sure you'll be able to choose where you want to go. I'd recommend trying to protect your head, try to land on any spongy bits, sliding on your back is good.

Riders have been known to survive at speeds where a car just wouldn't because they've just slid on their leathers on their back.

Don't worry about looking around, that's fine. It's just in corners if a pillion is a bit uncertain they will try to sit up. Try to behave like a sack of potatoes, just follow the rider really. Don't lean, but don't sit up either.

I would recommend trying to work out some kind of signal if you want to stop, there was a good one I read recently. I will find it (I don't do much pillion riding.. yet).

It's always best to be safe than sorry. What does your boyfriend ride? You shouldn't feel like you're about to come off, motorcycles are designed to hold their riders in excess of 100mph ;). But I can understand how it would be a concern. I don't think I'd like to go pillion because I like to have control!

Unless the rider is an idiot you're probably not going to come off.

One thing though. Why motorway riding? I can't see the appeal. Windy, noisy, etc.
    Don't be ashamed to say that you don't want to ride on the bike any more. You're under no obligation to, and there's nothing unusual about being scared on one. They're just not for some people :)

:yes:

Out of me, my brother & my sister I'm the only who has been on my dad's bike. Their reason is because they think he's going to go too fast and they're going to fall off. (and for the record, I've been out with him and had no problems. I will though, the first tiem I'd been out with him [bearing in mind he hadn't ridden his bike for 18 months] was really scary but at the same time it was fun)
    z- wrote: »
    i lost a cousin to a motorbike so i wont be back on them

Me too. Although I have been on a couple since but only for short drives, I get really scared.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    If you come off I'm not sure you'll be able to choose where you want to go. I'd recommend trying to protect your head, try to land on any spongy bits, sliding on your back is good.

Riders have been known to survive at speeds where a car just wouldn't because they've just slid on their leathers on their back.

Don't worry about looking around, that's fine. It's just in corners if a pillion is a bit uncertain they will try to sit up. Try to behave like a sack of potatoes, just follow the rider really. Don't lean, but don't sit up either.

I would recommend trying to work out some kind of signal if you want to stop, there was a good one I read recently. I will find it (I don't do much pillion riding.. yet).

It's always best to be safe than sorry. What does your boyfriend ride? You shouldn't feel like you're about to come off, motorcycles are designed to hold their riders in excess of 100mph ;). But I can understand how it would be a concern. I don't think I'd like to go pillion because I like to have control!

Unless the rider is an idiot you're probably not going to come off.

One thing though. Why motorway riding? I can't see the appeal. Windy, noisy, etc.

Thanks for the advice :) Not sure what motorbike..it's umm yellow? Will ask him tho. Eurgh I know, motorways are just argh. We were going to visit his friend in Canterbury and it was about 45 minutes on the motorway to get there.