Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Uni Massacre...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    or make them $100 a unit then.

Chris Rock does a funny gag about that.
  • Options
    I know you're playing dumb just to be difficult, but of course for location read country.

Countries that allows citizens to legally own weapons = far more gun related murders and attacks than other nations.

Countries that in addition to allowing ownership of guns actually revere them and live in constant adulation of them = indescribably and intolerably high number of gun related deaths and attacks.

It's not quantum psychics is it?

What does a quantum psychic look like? Derek Acorah stacked on top of Mystic Meg?

Aside from your terrible typo (at best) the logic isn't sound, i.e. Canada. So the patronising tone is flawed on two counts.

And this person called 'budda', who said:
    "I guess it shows that our gun control is sort of working, either that or our society isnt quite as rotten as the US is."

Yeah, or that there are many million fewer people living here and thus less random people to go mental.

How sad that a tragedy has to be turned into a political debate. Much sadder that that debate is naive and ugly in equal measure.
  • Options
    What does a quantum psychic look like? Derek Acorah stacked on top of Mystic Meg?

Aside from your terrible typo (at best)
    Whereas I admittedly commit the old typo and not always spell check, I'm more than willing to have a spelling and grammar competition with you Mr Shakespeare. You might be surprised at a Johnny foreigner beating you at your own language. I often find that's the case. Either way I don't give much of a fuck nor have time for those who engage in picking at typos on message boards- almost invariably because they don't have much else to say.
    So the patronising tone
    Oh the fucking irony... :D

If you had read my post properly, instead of picking at typos for a feeble attempt at sarcasm/wit, you might have noticed the paragraph where I mention the prevailing gun culture and adulation of the gun. Having been in both the US and Canada on several occasions I can assure you there is a far greater case of it in the former nation than in the latter.

I hope you didn't feel I was patronising you too much...
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I think I heard today that at least that amount of US children die every day from shooting accidents from guns in the home ...
    This is the scummiest thing of the whole fucking deal. The fact that it is entirely possible to manufacture weapons that are set to safety as a default, but the makers refuse to do it, because if shootings decrease in America, then fewer people feel the need to buy guns to protect themselves. Utter shits of the highest order. I can't believe a country can allow this, yet takes a hardline against something like drugs, it's ridiculous.
  • Options
    I can't think of anything more scary than being in the same place as a guy with a gun shooting anyone who moves. It must have been terrifying. The professor who stood in the doorway to protect his students and got shot is a real hero, how brave that instead of hiding he stood in the firing line to protect others.

Sympathies to the victims families.
  • Options

Aside from your terrible typo (at best) the logic isn't sound, i.e. Canada. So the patronising tone is flawed on two counts.

And this person called 'budda', who said:
    "I guess it shows that our gun control is sort of working, either that or our society isnt quite as rotten as the US is."

Yeah, or that there are many million fewer people living here and thus less random people to go mental.

How sad that a tragedy has to be turned into a political debate. Much sadder that that debate is naive and ugly in equal measure.

This is a board for political debate - you might feel it's too early for that - others might look at this and feel its too late...
  • Options
    I noticed on all the news coverage that there is your token fat american cop out of breath with an M16 struggling to keep up.

Sorry yanks, but I just think there's so many things that need fixing in America.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I noticed on all the news coverage that there is your token fat american cop out of breath with an M16 struggling to keep up.

and that has something to do with what?
  • Options
    Guns are freely available in Canada. And US states with strict gun laws such as California don't have lower gun crime than some states with lax gun laws. Some controls on gun ownership make sense but I don't think such controls will prevent awful stuff like this sometimes happening. Anyway thoughts with those involved.

Well taking guns back and forth across state lines probably isn't hard unless you fly.

The US Government requires 3 forms of ID from non US Residents to get a gun and only 2 for Residents, I reckon they'll make it harder for non residents to get a Gun - that way they can be seen as doing some thing without effecting the rights of people that have a vote anyway.
  • Options
    and that has something to do with what?

It's a stereotye isn't it. I noticed it.
  • Options
    I know you're playing dumb just to be difficult, but of course for location read country.

Of course ? ? ?

For location, read Virginia Tech university

Then read the next two sentences I wrote after that in the quoted post.

Where does the dumb and difficult come into it.

Did any of the victims physically have guns on their person ?

Did everyone have legal permission to carry a gun at Virginia Tech university ?

If so, can you provide me with the said evidence ?
  • Options
    Why would it matter?

You're going to say because someone could have shot the shooter before he killed all those people.

Then again if students at schools and unis were allowed to carry firearms, instead of 1 horrible massacre every decade you would have hundreds of single-fatality murders every single year, which at the end of the decade would total a lot more than the single massacre.

Whichever way you look at it, when guns are freely available to people gun related murders- and indeed the total murder count irrespective of weapon used- shoot up, if you'll pardon the pun.
  • Options
    I'm not sure Switzerland or Canada has a higher average for murder - just a higher rate of gun crime given the amounts of guns available.

Whilst gun possession obviously makes gun crime more likely I still feel there's other more important factors that cause people to commit murder in their society.

Of course, that isn't an arguement for having guns - if you clearly have a very violent society (such as America) then you should surely be taking every step possible to remove weapons from people's hands.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Of course, that isn't an arguement for having guns - if you clearly have a very violent society (such as America) then you should surely be taking every step possible to remove weapons from people's hands.

Exactly, tighter controls on guns in the US isnt the complete answer - but its a fairly obvious step which would probably help.

Why does anyone for example need an assault rifle, or a machine gun?
  • Options
    Because it's their 'right'. I think in reality for some it makes them feel safe, for others it gives them a sense of power / empowerment, and then a minority enjoy going hunting (which is part of American culture in some places - though having said that, my friend in the UK goes shooting, he just had to get a rifle licence. much happier).

I'd enjoy seeing a restriction on handguns i.e. nobody to be allowed them, and to get a rifle / other firearm you would need to fulfill strict criteria (no criminal record, etc. etc.) rather than just produce ID.
  • Options
    Why would it matter?

You're going to say because someone could have shot the shooter before he killed all those people.

Then again if students at schools and unis were allowed to carry firearms, instead of 1 horrible massacre every decade you would have hundreds of single-fatality murders every single year, which at the end of the decade would total a lot more than the single massacre.

Whichever way you look at it, when guns are freely available to people gun related murders- and indeed the total murder count irrespective of weapon used- shoot up, if you'll pardon the pun.

Your post implies to me that you are in agreement with those who would use force to prevent someone defending themselves.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    if you clearly have a very violent society (such as America) then you should surely be taking every step possible to remove weapons from people's hands.

That proposal appears to have been successfully implimented for the victims.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Exactly, tighter controls on guns in the US isnt the complete answer - but its a fairly obvious step which would probably help.

It didn`t help the victims.
  • Options
    Because it's their 'right'.

The victims don`t seem to have been afforded that "right".

(Or more legally precise: had that "right" withdrawn).
  • Options
    I'd enjoy seeing a restriction on handguns i.e. nobody to be allowed them,

Nobody ?
  • Options
    seeker wrote: »
    Your post implies to me that you are in agreement with those who would use force to prevent someone defending themselves.
    No. All my post implies is that we should prevent people from freely acquiring instruments which sole purpose is to kill human beings in order to save lives.
  • Options
    Victims who most probably would be alive today if a jilted lover hadn't been able to freely buy a weapon over the counter.
  • Options
    It didn`t help the victims.

Give it a rest seeker, you know for a fact that gun control refers to the ability to purchase the weapon in the first place, rather than the restrictions in where you can use them. I would bet a million pounds (if I had it) that if the law in America restricted the type of gun someone could own in America to something (with a slow rate of fire) like a shotgun or a hunting rifle, then nowhere near 30 people would've died, because the criminal could've been stopped quickly after he started shooting. Unless he illegally acquired his weapon of course, but there's no reason to assume that he would've had the contacts to do be able to do this.
  • Options
    The victims don`t seem to have been afforded that "right".

(Or more legally precise: had that "right" withdrawn).
    Quite. They have had the most fundamental right of all withdrawn: namely the right to life.

And all because some selfish tossers in the US believe it is a fundamental right to possess lethal weapons which only purpose is to end human life.

This reader letter to the Guardian today puts it better than I could:
    It's really very simple. If you permit people to buy firearms they will buy firearms. If a person owns any kind of tool they are likely to use that tool for the purpose intended. Firearms have only one use: they are designed to shoot and to kill.

Don't quote in defence "the constitutional right to bear arms"; the constitution was written centuries ago, in a different world with different values. What about the constitutional right not to be murdered?

If an individual has a breakdown in response to the pressures they find themselves under, they could kill themselves. Give that person a gun and time after time we see a trail of corpses - Dunblane, Columbine, Hungerford, Pennsylvania, etc, and now Virginia Tech.

Personal ownership of lethal weapons has no place in a civilised society.
  • Options

The victims voluntarily didn't carry weapons. They exercised their free choice to attend a university that didn't allow weapons on campus and abide by those rules.
  • Options
    No. All my post implies is that we should prevent people from freely acquiring instruments which sole purpose is to kill human beings in order to save lives.

I admit that I may be playing on my perception of your lack of punctuation, but would your prevention include the life of the instrument acquirer ?
  • Options
    I admit that I may be playing on my perception of your lack of punctuation, but would your prevention include the life of the instrument acquirer ?
    So long as he wasn't going to commit murder by firearm or other means, yes.

We all know how you don't believe police forces and armies "exist". The rest of us do. Nothing to see here, please move along...
  • Options
    Victims who most probably would be alive today if a jilted lover hadn't been able to freely buy a weapon over the counter.

Speculation ?
  • Options
    Give it a rest seeker, you know for a fact that gun control refers to the ability to purchase the weapon in the first place, rather than the restrictions in where you can use them. I would bet a million pounds (if I had it) that if the law in America restricted the type of gun someone could own in America to something (with a slow rate of fire) like a shotgun or a hunting rifle, then nowhere near 30 people would've died, because the criminal could've been stopped quickly after he started shooting. Unless he illegally acquired his weapon of course, but there's no reason to assume that he would've had the contacts to do be able to do this.

Admitted speculation ?
  • Options
    Speculation ?

Give it a fucking rest and stop side tracking threads.