Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gym rats unite!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What's a Smith machine?

I bought a set of small dumbbells yesterday from Argos, and a gym mat. Was doing weights while watching TV. Are the weights only good for my upper body or is there any way I can work out other parts of my body using them?
  • Options
    I use the dumbells to work my calves, and I hold them in my hands to do lunges - great for the legs! This directory has some useful info on what you can do with the lower body with dumbbells.

Smith machine is one of these things (prevents me from toppling over)

smith_machine.jpg
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    I was talking in term of weights?

I used to use the smith machine alot when i was first training, i found that when i later went on to the freehand bar i was having trouble with the balance of the bar because i was so used to the smith machine. Its a good idea to use both, but the smith machine has plenty of other uses too.
  • Options
    I'm hoping to learn with the free bar as soon as I can. Won't even think about it at the moment as my arse and quads hurt like feck
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    I'm hoping to learn with the free bar as soon as I can. Won't even think about it at the moment as my arse and quads hurt like feck

Don't forget your front squats ;)

Just trying to locate a very good article I read about the advantages of this over normal squats for various reasons...
  • Options
    Front squat looks terrifying :D

Were you looking for this article in t-nation? Googled, just about to read it
  • Options
    HAhahaha - no, it's something I read in a magazine, but that is an excellent article.

My training uses a mix of both front and 'normal' squats (I have done for ages), and my trainer really likes the front one. It's very true that it's pretty much 'forgotten'.

I never use the Smith Machine. Restricts engaging the core and other muscles used for stability.
  • Options
    I see... I may have to find Brenda (the fitness instructor feared by everyone :D ) to show me.
  • Options
    I see... I may have to find Brenda (the fitness instructor feared by everyone :D ) to show me.

It's well worth it.

You'll use much lower weights due to the positioning of the bar, but it's soooooooooooooooo effective :)
  • Options
    My boyfriend keeps telling me to use those God awful abductor/adductor machines for my thighs (my quads are solid as a rock :D inner thigh still a little bit wobbily). I keep telling him I'd rather stick to compound exercises rather than isolation ones in my legs. I think he is trying to sabotage my workout :chin:
  • Options
    My boyfriend keeps telling me to use those God awful abductor/adductor machines for my thighs (my quads are solid as a rock :D inner thigh still a little bit wobbily). I keep telling him I'd rather stick to compound exercises rather than isolation ones in my legs. I think he is trying to sabotage my workout :chin:

Give him a punch ;)

What you will find, is that with the front squats you will feel it a lot more on your inner thighs, leading up to your groin.

As the article mentions, try going past the parallel stage (legs parallel to the floor) and go slightly deeper. You can also go right down as far as you can.

Try counting for 6 seconds as you descend, wait for 2 seconds at the bottom, then driving through the feet and exploding upwards.

So many variations to choose from, and swapping them around will achieve better results.

Ensure you have a slightly wider stance than you may normally take for maximum stability. You'll find that the front squat keeps your back much more upright than the standard squat, and so the balance thing could feel a little odd at first.
  • Options
    Ooh, excellent! Will def give that a try, anything to help the inner thigh stop wobbiling :rolleyes: :D
  • Options
    *bump*

After a small hiatus after my snowboarding accident (I now have a full range of movement with no pain and was given the all clear) yesterday was a workout from hell. Last time I worked my upper body, I was about to up the weights, but now, it looks like I'll be sticking with the same ones as it was a real struggle, couldn't even finish my last set on the bicep curls, oh the shame.

Had a chat with the instructor who said it shouldn't take too long to get back, but still all that hard work :grump:

He showed me the squat with the bar, and the front squat too :D (he also measured my body fat today, but I'm not making that number public) ;)

Anyone else been working out? Progress?

Anyone brave enough to give the 300 workout a go? I'm tempted once I get back to my former glory.

25 pull-ups
    50 deadlifts at 135 pounds
    50 push-ups
    50 box jumps with a 24-inch box
    50 "floor wipers" (a core and shoulders exercise at 135 pounds)
    50 "clean and press" at 36 pounds (a weight-lifting exercise)
    25 more pull-ups -- for a total of 300 reps
  • Options
    *bump*

After a small hiatus after my snowboarding accident (I now have a full range of movement with no pain and was given the all clear) yesterday was a workout from hell. Last time I worked my upper body, I was about to up the weights, but now, it looks like I'll be sticking with the same ones as it was a real struggle, couldn't even finish my last set on the bicep curls, oh the shame.

Had a chat with the instructor who said it shouldn't take too long to get back, but still all that hard work :grump:

He showed me the squat with the bar, and the front squat too :D (he also measured my body fat today, but I'm not making that number public) ;)

Anyone else been working out? Progress?

Anyone brave enough to give the 300 workout a go? I'm tempted once I get back to my former glory.

25 pull-ups
    50 deadlifts at 135 pounds
    50 push-ups
    50 box jumps with a 24-inch box
    50 "floor wipers" (a core and shoulders exercise at 135 pounds)
    50 "clean and press" at 36 pounds (a weight-lifting exercise)
    25 more pull-ups -- for a total of 300 reps

Ah - you'll soon be up to speed again! Amazing how it comes back - muscle memory ;)

That 300 workout thing looks tough. I've been doing far too much drinking recently and not enough fitness. Must get back on it and then I'll think about attempting that!!
  • Options
    Rejoyce! I am off the smith machine, and squatting with the bar :D

I think I'll have to up the ante on the cardio though. I might even have to consider using the... treadmill :nervous:
  • Options
    Rejoyce! I am off the smith machine, and squatting with the bar :D

I think I'll have to up the ante on the cardio though. I might even have to consider using the... treadmill :nervous:

How many bars are their available in your gym?
  • Options
    Not sure, including those z-type bars, I think there are about 5 or 6.
  • Options
    Not sure, including those z-type bars, I think there are about 5 or 6.

I only end up using the smith machine for squats because there is only 1 main bar in my gym, sucks really
  • Options
    Argh that sucks. I tried squatting with the smith machine for confidence, but I'm glad I weaned off it quickly. Might be worth asking the gym if they're going to invest in some more bars, especially if other people are waiting to use them.
  • Options
    Argh that sucks. I tried squatting with the smith machine for confidence, but I'm glad I weaned off it quickly. Might be worth asking the gym if they're going to invest in some more bars, especially if other people are waiting to use them.

Can't see them doing that, there isn't enough space for it either. My membership is nearly up so im likely to scout about for another
  • Options
    reading this has inspired me to begin exercising again, im gonna start 2moz as its a bit late now. had to give up for a while due to injury and put on 2 stone. need to get rid again. will let everyone no of progress.
  • Options
    :yippe:

Injuries are horrible, but yay to exercise again. Keep us posted :)

I gave in and hit the treadmill on Saturday for my HIIT. Handled it surprisingly well. Listening to hard dance is the only way to survive it :crazyeyes
  • Options
    :yippe:

Injuries are horrible, but yay to exercise again. Keep us posted :)

I gave in and hit the treadmill on Saturday for my HIIT. Handled it surprisingly well. Listening to hard dance is the only way to survive it :crazyeyes

I *hate* the treadmill... in fact any cardio in the gym I hate.

Since somebody nicked my much loved bike last week, my cardio options are limited ATM
  • Options
    Little buggers. Maybe they're getting much needed exercise? :(
  • Options
    Little buggers. Maybe they're getting much needed exercise? :(

They will until I get my hands on them ;):D:mad:
  • Options
    They will until I get my hands on them

Hehehe, I suspect they'll be having a long rest period after that ;)

Upper body workout was much better today. Managed to up the weights with my tricep thing, will hopefully be bicep curling more weight next week.

Had a guy come up to me saying how much he admired seeing a woman in the free weights section :D

Cardio tomorrow, then trying out the deadlift on Wednesday...
  • Options
    Hehehe, I suspect they'll be having a long rest period after that ;)

Upper body workout was much better today. Managed to up the weights with my tricep thing, will hopefully be bicep curling more weight next week.

Had a guy come up to me saying how much he admired seeing a woman in the free weights section :D

Cardio tomorrow, then trying out the deadlift on Wednesday...

Make sure you get somebody to show you the deadlift - it's one of those you need good form on or you could do yourself a lemon!! :) When nailed, it's brilliant though :D
  • Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't dare do it without the help of one of the instructors, they're a pretty helpful bunch. One asked how my squat was going :)
  • Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't dare do it without the help of one of the instructors, they're a pretty helpful bunch. One asked how my squat was going :)

Nice!

It's good that they're interested in what you're doing!

This is the first Monday in over a month where I've not been utterly wiped out from the weekend and so I'm looking forward to giving it a bit of pastie when I get there tonight :D
  • Options
    Yeah, they're lovely. Although I get paranoid and wonder if they're secretly sniggering at my attempts. Not that I'd really care, mind ;)