Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Uni Massacre...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Uni Massacre...

:no:

what can you say really? It's unbeleivable (sort of) that this has happened again... My heart goes out to all of the departed's family.
  • Options
    Its insane. 32 people killed. 15 injured. Fuck. Gotta wonder what was so wrong with him...
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Link to the story for those of us that have no clue wtf you're talking about? :S
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote: »
    Link to the story for those of us that have no clue wtf you're talking about? :S

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6560685.stm
  • Options
    look at the way theyre carrying that girl in the picture, they treat the injured pretty well over there :X

pretty fucked up though! wonder why he did it.
  • Options
    Sure it's a tragedy, but no more of a tragedy than when a similar number of people died in a bombing in Algeria last week.

The Queen had naff all to say about that, so I'm not sure why she's expressing her sympathy over this.
  • Options
    The Sun, mirror and daily mail said he was a pissed off ex-lover or something like that, but I don't beleive anything they write really.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    The Queen had naff all to say about that, so I'm not sure why she's expressing her sympathy over this.

Because of the historical links between England and the U.S.

Also, a lot of Americans can trace their ancestry back to England and Europe so it's obviously going to have more of an effect on us than say a few Arabs or Blacks in Africa or Iraq. It's the way humans are.
  • Options
    Sure it's a tragedy, but no more of a tragedy than when a similar number of people died in a bombing in Algeria last week.

Because they were poor people, they dont matter.

Unfortuately this is niether surprising or all that shocking - mix very poor gun control with the kind of society you have in the US and this sort of thing will continue to happen. Frankly I'm surprised it hasnt happened here.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »

Also, a lot of Americans can trace their ancestry back to England and Europe so it's obviously going to have more of an effect on us than say a few Arabs or Blacks in Africa or Iraq. It's the way humans are.

Maybe so. Still doesn't seem quite right though, most people probably weren't even aware of the Algerian bomb yet this seems to cause more shock and sadness around the world (well, in this country at least). I hope we waren't beginning to take tragedies like Iraq/Algeria/Darfur for granted, like it's just "one of those things".

Saying all that, no news story in my lifetime has affected me as much as Dunblane did.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »

But surely we can all trace our ancestry back to Africa?

I agree with Bri. Why shoudl this get any more coverage than some of the other tragedies that happen around the world on a daily basis.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Frankly I'm surprised it hasnt happened here.

Again. Dunblane?
  • Options
    Saying all that, no news story in my lifetime has affected me as much as Dunblane did.

Aye, remember that myself. :(
  • Options
    Maybe so. Still doesn't seem quite right though ...

True. But there is a limit to how much the Queen can commiserate with incidents like this around the world or she would spend all day and every day issuing statements of sympathy.

As 'Scrote says, it is our alignment with the history of the US that probably drew her response. It is, after all, a renegade province that needs to be pulled back into her empire. ;)
  • Options
    Again. Dunblane?

Once, and that wasnt even a student. I guess it shows that our gun control is sort of working, either that or our society isnt quite as rotten as the US is.
  • Options
    I guess it shows that our gun control is sort of working, either that or our society isnt quite as rotten as the US is.

I think it our gun control. What we lack in gun crime, we make up for in stabbings ....
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I think it our gun control. What we lack in gun crime, we make up for in stabbings ....

Certainly. And of course thats the slightly strange things about events like this, I wonder how many other people were shot dead yesterday across America, probably way over 33.
  • Options
    Just to say the two threads on this have been merged together - so if any of the replies seem a little confused then that's why
  • Options
    Certainly. And of course thats the slightly strange things about events like this, I wonder how many other people were shot dead yesterday across America, probably way over 33.

I think I heard today that at least that amount of US children die every day from shooting accidents from guns in the home ...

But to go back to your point, I think that if guns were more easily available here, we would see just as many incidents as this. There are awful, evil people in all societies ...
  • Options
    The level of gun crime is higher in socities with more guns - however it isn't AS large as it is in the US. The US rate of death by guns is disproptionate compared to other countries with huge rates of gun ownership (such as Switzerland - which is the highest in the world).

Switzerland may have more gun violence than the UK, but not the huge amount seen in the US. I really think you need to look at look more seriously at what causes gun violence than simply assuming having guns equals this kind of crime.

Guns are tools, they do not, by themselves, cause crimes. Though in a society with a culture of violence the easy access to guns would increase that violence.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    But to go back to your point, I think that if guns were more easily available here, we would see just as many incidents as this. There are awful, evil people in all societies ...

Maybe, maybe not (see the posts above about Canada and the Swiss), though I cant see the arguemnt for anyone owning gun that isnt using it for hunting. So I think we have roughly the right sort of controls.

Anyway, crime is virtually all about the society and little to do with the law.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

But they were not all in one place. Or by one person. This fellow killed 33 people. The rest of the killings are unlikley by one person with a total of 50.

Either way. This just shows whats happening to society these days. Britain is getting an increase in shootings/stabbings (mostly the latter) and the US is seeing a small increase in gun crime. This culture has to stop... but the question is... who knows how?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Either way. This just shows whats happening to society these days. Britain is getting an increase in shootings/stabbings (mostly the latter) and the US is seeing a small increase in gun crime. This culture has to stop... but the question is... who knows how?

Hmm, you ask a corker there. I certainly dont subscribe to the 'we're all goin to hell in a handcart' idea, but I dont see society suddenly getting any better any time soon.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hmm, you ask a corker there. I certainly dont subscribe to the 'we're all goin to hell in a handcart' idea, but I dont see society suddenly getting any better any time soon.

I think something must happen soon. People are getting fed up. All it wil take is one catalyst to ignite the feeling people have about the decline of society.

The question is, this time, what will it be for? Left or Right? Another Hitler or another Lenin? The extremists always pray on society when it is going downhill.

It means the average joe needs to try to refrain from thier brainwashing and keep his head screwed on, difficult as that may be. It is shown by the worrying increase in BNP support.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6560685.stm

When will America realise these things will keep happening if guns are freely available. :(

Guns didn`t seem to be freely available in this location.

All the reports I have read suggest that the victims were physically unarmed.

(They were legally disarmed as well).
  • Options
    yup.

and George W is currently en route aboard Airforce1 to Virginia to give his obligatory consolances to the loved ones of the dearly departed.

but the fucker will continue to blindly support the NRA and gun lobbists and do sweet fuck all to change legislation.

does anyone know of ANY other consitution with a nifty little
    "right to bare arms" option?

that second amendment is a winner.
  • Options
    Anomie wrote: »
    yup.

and George W is currently en route aboard Airforce1 to Virginia to give his obligatory consolances to the loved ones of the dearly departed.

but the fucker will continue to blindly support the NRA and gun lobbists and do sweet fuck all to change legislation.

does anyone know of ANY other consitution with a nifty little
    "right to bare arms" option?

that second amendment is a winner.

For those who hold those kind of things dear ought to be aware that the so called second amendment was included in order to legally permit individuals to bear arms AGAINST the likes of George W
  • Options
    seeker wrote: »
    Guns didn`t seem to be freely available in this location.
    I know you're playing dumb just to be difficult, but of course for location read country.

Countries that allows citizens to legally own weapons = far more gun related murders and attacks than other nations.

Countries that in addition to allowing ownership of guns actually revere them and live in constant adulation of them = indescribably and intolerably high number of gun related deaths and attacks.

It's not quantum psychics is it?
  • Options
    It's a sad situation because if you take the gun away from the shops then you're pushing it underground and that could well cause more murders.
  • Options
    They should stop selling bullets to individuals, or make them $100 a unit then.