Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Online citations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm trying to make citations from a web page, MLA style. I've searched online, done the whole citation machine and read more of the MLA handbook than anybody should ever have to.

The main problem I am having is all the explinations and examples tell you to give the AUthures name and the page's title. (Not the title of the website as they also ask for that later) But I can't figure that out and on several things like this there is no stated auther. A couple examples would be https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ez.html or http://www.freedomhouse.org/template.cfm?page=22&year=2006&country=6949

Does anybody know how I would go about doing this? Would I just leave the authur part blank? I'm sure I'll get told if I did it wrong when I turn in the rough draft, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to know now :p
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have actually no idea what you're talking about. Sorry. I think it may in some way be connected to the Harvard-referencing i ignored whilst doing my degree, but i don't know.
    If you're sourcing facts, then you just need the website name AFAIK, because it would be the same as citing an encyclopaedia, which also wouldn't have an author. In mine, you were required to write down the date you visited the website to get the info too. But you can always ask a lecturer.
    I keep thinking the title of this thread is online clitoris. :eek:
    I'm not familiar with the MLA style of referencing, so I'm not sure how much help this will be, as I use the Harvard APA style.

Anyhoo, when citing from a website in text, I use the title of the webpage and the date. The title of the webpage should be at the top of the page, there's usually some kind of heading. If not, look at what it's called when the page is minimized in the bar at the bottom of the screen, that'll be the title. For example, on this website, the title of the page is A Miller's Prologue and Tale - study guide. And then you put the date after, which in most cases for me, never exists, in which case it's just (n.d.)

So it'd look like this, for example:

Text text text quotation text text blah quotation etc (A Miller's Prologue and Tale - study guide, n.d.)

For putting that in a bibliography though, you need the authors name. However, I've nearly always found that there's no name on websites, so I replace the authors name with the the web title (as before) and then the date etc (if there is one, if not, (n.d.) again).

Not sure how much help that's gonna be 'cos it's different referencing styles and that, but umm, it might be some use. Shrug.
    That did help, I think I've got kind of an understanding now... Thanks :)