Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

what made you chose your university?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Was it the course, the campus, the city/town?

If you're already at university, what do you think should be the biggest influence over your decision?

As you've probably realised I'm currently in the process of deciding my firm and insurance choice and I'm all stressed and confulsed :( One choice is a lovely city, but not such a pretty campus and not the best course, but the uni has a great reputation, where as my other choice has a beautiful campus, but the city is perhaps not so great, but then the course is better. I'm crap at decisions. What do you think is most important?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I first thought I wanted to go to Hull but wimped out of that idea because it's so far away. Decided on Canterbury because it's not tooooo far, it has a good English Dept apparently, I like the area of Canterbury and the history and when I visited it was lovely.

edit: I think the course is the most important factor. I think it helps to find out as much as you can and also to visit the campus and get a feel of the place.
    Hiya Kate,

I personally only applied to Universities which were close enough to commute to as I wanted to stay at home. Will you be moving away or do you plan to stay at home...? I'm lucky because I live near a city which has 2 highly respected universities and I only had to choose between them so the course and not the city was the issue.

Like you have pointed out in your post, there are a lot of different factors to take into consideration but its good to have a choice! I'd say the quality of the course is very important- if the university as a whole has a good reputation then thats also an important factor.

What is it you are going to study and where? :)
    I chose a list of 5 unis which has courses I wanted to do. I then went to each of the universities and went to look at the city.

So i guess it was what the city was like which made my decision. After all you have to like the city as your going to be living there for 3/4 years.

:thumb:
    Calvin wrote: »
    So i guess it was what the city was like which made my decision. After all you have to like the city as your going to be living there for 3/4 years.

So do you find you spend more time in and around the city, rather than on campus?

I'm hoping to study English by the way. At either Nottingham, York, or maybe Swansea, but can't decide.
    Kermit :p (not even joking).

I said I wanted to do English & Creative Writing and he told me to go to Northumbria 'cause it's near him. The course actually looks well good, so :thumb:. And it's far enough away so I feel independent, but I can get a plane back home if I need my mummy :o.
    Franki wrote: »
    Kermit :p (not even joking).

I said I wanted to do English & Creative Writing and he told me to go to Northumbria 'cause it's near him. The course actually looks well good, so :thumb:. And it's far enough away so I feel independent, but I can get a plane back home if I need my mummy :o.

A plane? Where is Northumbria?
    So do you find you spend more time in and around the city, rather than on campus?

I'm hoping to study English by the way. At either Nottingham, York, or maybe Swansea, but can't decide.

Yeah, its all about the city. I chose to go to Nottingham above anywhere else, and I'm pleased I did.

Its a big place with plenty pubs, shops and other activities. Unless one of the English course is far superior I would choose based on the city you would like to live in.

It is close, and my boyfriend graduated from there.

The first time around, I applied to 2 places and they were the first to get back to me :p

Location didn't matter the first time, but it did this time. It was pretty much the only factor. But it is just your average ol degree granting institution. As average as the next, though it does have a high population of older students so their night classes are alot more extensive than some places and their online classes are getting larger in selection.

When it comes to JD, however, more thoughts on merit and pretty much "the name" will be the deciding factor. Though I know it will have little effect in the end, theres just a part of me that wants John Marshall on paper as opposed to Borris Online :p
    I chose the course that I wanted to do and then picked the Uni that was furthest away from my hometown (in a northerly direction) that offered it. It's probably not the best way to go about it but whilst I was there the English dept did come top of some Times league table or other.
    leniency with alevel under achievement
    Far enough away from my home so I could be independant but close enough so I could go back at weekends i.e. to eat proper food, get clothes washed, meet mates etc etc.

In a big enough city so there was a good nightlife.

One of the top uni's in the UK anyway so was prestigeous and would look good on my C.V. ;)
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Far enough away from my home so I could be independant but close enough so I could go back at weekends i.e. to eat proper food, get clothes washed, meet mates etc etc.

In a big enough city so there was a good nightlife.

One of the top uni's in the UK anyway so was prestigeous and would look good on my C.V. ;)

Sounds exactly what I want.

Couple of people have mentioned Nottingham which is good because that's one of my choices. Take it it's a pretty good city then? It's fighting against York for me.

What unis are everyone else at?

Couple of people have mentioned Nottingham which is good because that's one of my choices. Take it it's a pretty good city then? It's fighting against York for me.

Nottingham every time for me, but then I'm biased.
    minimi38 wrote: »
    leniency with alevel under achievement

ditto, that and my insurance uni looked like an even bigger dump :lol:
    Nottinghams a nice city, a nice campus, and they're next to each other. It was going to be my insurance (1st choice was Cambridge) until I got a really low offer from somewhere else good. The failsafe for the insurance was just too tempting.

Ultimately if you are looking for places like that then you should go for the course you like the best, that's what you are going to uni for. The rest of it will be perfectly good enough wherever you go, a lot of student life has to do with the student body rather than what it looks like. You'll probably find that as a student you have relatively little to do with most of the town/city, only the studenty bits which are pretty similar most places.

Whatever happens, you can't go far wrong at this point.
    I'm at Bristol so..........

1) Course - Bristol Russian Dept. is the best in the UK and so naturally that was a major factor.

2) City - cracking place. Safer than places like Nottingham (Shottingham), much more lively than Cambridge or Durham and large enough so the city doesn't revolve around the university.

3) Reputation. From mates, people from my school etc.

4) The fact that they gave me an unconditional offer...

2) City - cracking place. Safer than places like Nottingham (Shottingham)

Yea, I've heard a bit of Nottingham's reputation. My other choice is York, which is a really nice town, so it's tough.

Agreed though, Bristol is cracking. Wouldn't accept me though, had the wrong A levels :impissed:
    Rachael wrote:
    A plane? Where is Northumbria?

It's in Newcastle. Can get a plane from Stansted.
    Ohhh. I'm pretty ignorent when it comes to anything about planes. Didn't even realise you could get a plane just to go around the UK. I wish I picked English Lit with Creative Writing now rather than just stand along Eng Lit.
    Rachael wrote: »
    Ohhh. I'm pretty ignorent when it comes to anything about planes. Didn't even realise you could get a plane just to go around the UK. I wish I picked English Lit with Creative Writing now rather than just stand along Eng Lit.
    I'm pretty sure you can change your application, although I wouldn't know for sure....
    I fell in love with the campus..even though close to the buzz of birmingham, the uni of brum felt all green and lush (ignoring a couple of the buildings). Plus the course looked good. didnt care too much about the distance from home, but isnt too far to get bk if i really need to.
    My friend went to york and had a fantastic time, and now lives up there like a grown-up, whereas everyone i know who went to Nottingham came home after they finished and had an ok time. But that's pretty much all i know about them, i had an amazing curry in Notts when i went to visit one of my friends...

I graduated from UEA last year. I did a degree in accounting and finance there, it was my first choice cos a) Norwich is a lovely city, b) it's a top 20 uni (12th, i think?) and c) it was far enough away from my family that they couldn't just drop in. When i was choosing my unis i knew i wanted to be on a campus and outside London, so those were my initial criteria. I'm glad i went to UEA, despite being a really very depressing campus, i had a really good time there - so much so that i've got a job in norwich now and am living up here like an adult!
    I'm pretty sure you can change your application, although I wouldn't know for sure....

I'll see how it goes. I THINK I can take it as one of the sub doodahs. Fingers crossed
    tbh nottingham's reputation is blown out of proportion. I'm hoping to go to trent if i go - because the campus (brackenhurst) is lovely and the 2 courses that i'm torn between sound really interesting. And i can get alot of help with my fees because my parents haven't been to uni and i'm a local student.
    the 3 i narrowed it down to were:
    1. shit course with an amazing city
    2. average course with an average city
    3. good course with a rubbish city.
    i chose the middle one and graduated last summer. i had quite a fun time, but didnt get the mark i am capable of.

i would recommend doing the good course in the not so good city, cos i think i placed to much emphasis on where my uni was when i was choosing, and that fun is easy to come by wherever you are, while being on a better course works wonders.

that said, my degree mark doesnt matter that much to me (a 3rd), because its an art/design course that is pretty subjective. within this field, all you need is natural talent and desire for suceeding, both of which ive had since primary school, so going to uni (from an academical/career point of view) was pretty pointless (for me). i enjoyed it though....:)
    I chose mine based on the quality of my course, what I would get an opportunity to study on my course and gut feeling. Have you been to visit the universities that you're interested in? I was almost certain that I wanted to go somewhere, then went to visit it and hated it. I went to visit the university I chose in the end, which wasn't initially somewhere I was going to put as one of my choices and really liked the atmosphere and knew I'd fit in there from what I felt.
    It's in Newcastle. Can get a plane from Stansted.

It would normally be cheaper and nearly as quick to get the train down to Peterborugh.

Saying that, i got a special offer at christmas for that flight for £25, or something ridiclously cheap
    I ended up at Manchester Met through clearing and I'm utterly relieved as I love it. Combined with Manchester University we have the biggest student campus in Europe and I love the course.
    Violette wrote: »
    i do english lit rach! and i did 'english lit with creative writing' in 1st year but absolutely hated it, my tutor was an arty farty dickhead who tried to make me write poems all the sodding time. hated it. but it'd probably be well ace if you had a good tutor. i go huddersfield. looked at canterbury, but it was for a boy. and luckily we broke up, so i didn't go. too far for a little ole northerner. hehe. huddersfield also had a good english dept, and was far enough away from the parentals to feel independent.

oooh! i am so PMing you in Sept when I get all confused :D
    I liked the colour of the prospectus :blush:

I didn't look around loads of Uni's, but I liked Portsmouth when I first went to look around. It was a lovely summers day.. But I'm sure that had absolutely nothing to do with it. Oh yeh, the course I wanted sounded pretty good here too. Oh how I was mislead.. I like the Journalism part mind, it's just English Lit that gets on my nerves.