Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

music snobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Why do people judge you by what music you like?

Personally I like a mixture of music, a bit of everything. I like music but it's not like a number one thing in my life. I don't really go to gigs (well I do sometimes if I get free review tickets and really like the band/singer), I would rather go to the cinema or theatre or do something active.

I don't listen to the radio either, so I'm not really up on what music is around.

Some people (ok, 2 guys at work and a few friends) take the piss out of me because I haven't heard of half of the "cool" bands that are around, and I'm not really into indie/rock clubs. I went out last night to an indie club and despised it, yet felt like a freak because everyone else was going mental about how wonderful the music was.

Why do people care what I like?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Some people are just pretentious dicks. Best to ignore, especially the Indie scenesters who some of the biggest sheep around. I like alot of Indie music but Indie clubs are a load of shite and usually full of these type of dickheads.
  • Options
    I hate twats who look down at ya for listening to dance music cos "it's uncreative." Suck the back of them.
  • Options
    Don't listen to them, the shit most people think is indie fucking blows anyway so you aren't missing out. Fuck The Kooks, fuck Keane, fuck Babyshambles, fuck Razorlight.

Taking the piss out of someone (jokingly) for liking shit music is one thing, but for not having heard of bands? Hm.

Although in saying that you can usually get a good idea of what people are like, what their interests are etc. by their music taste, how they dress, and how they intitially act when you first meet them. Obviously this isn't true in all cases, but you'd be surprised how many people fall into their appropriate stereotypes. Hey, just look at your pretentious indie friends at work...
  • Options
    I get annoyed at people who judge me for listening to Evanescence. They assume I'm a girl who sits at home crying slashing her wrists all the time or something. It annoys me greatly. I even get my parents asking why I listen to them! I actually really enjoy listening to their music though and it makes me happy.

Apart from Evanescence, I'm into a wide range of music including indie, rock, pop, dance, etc.
  • Options
    I don't judge people for musical tastes, though I've never understood R&B or Hardhouse. My friends are into a range of stuff and I've picked up music off all of them. I could do with some Dance in my collection, anyone have any ideas?

I guess I'm mainly into my bands and more recently electro personally. Punk too.

For some reason my mate takes the piss of me liking Graham Coxon and Jarvis Cockers new stuff. I dont get why.
  • Options
    I've never understood this. I admit, I will listen to anything; but do go through phases of listening to certain bands and decades of music. I remember one time admitting to listening to something like Elvis Presley and getting laughed at.

I tend to find I either get laughed at for what I listen to or get odd looks off people because they've never heard of what I'm into.

With older friends of mine, I get odd looks from them because I listen to what was considered 'cool' when they were my age and maybe younger. (late 1970s - 1990s roughly)
  • Options
    A lot of people have a crushing fear of the word 'mainstream' and use the term as a guilt-free means of demonising others for their choices. Fuck em, I say! Sure, I love a bit of hard dance and trance every now and again, but I'm not ashamed to say I'm happy to listen to pop in the right context.
  • Options
    well i like everything to do with metal so i get dirty mosher all of the time but i think of it this way its there problem not yours you be who you whant to be there just twat heads aint they
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Don't listen to them, the shit most people think is indie fucking blows anyway so you aren't missing out. Fuck The Kooks, fuck Keane, fuck Babyshambles, fuck Razorlight.

Taking the piss out of someone (jokingly) for liking shit music is one thing, but for not having heard of bands? Hm.

Although in saying that you can usually get a good idea of what people are like, what their interests are etc. by their music taste, how they dress, and how they intitially act when you first meet them. Obviously this isn't true in all cases, but you'd be surprised how many people fall into their appropriate stereotypes. Hey, just look at your pretentious indie friends at work...

This is all true.

Personally, I don't give a fuck. I get slagged off by all my mates for some of the shit I listen to, but it's better to like cheesy shit because you like it than credible shit because it's credible.

I like a bit of DJ Shadow, bit of Westlife, bit of random as fuck electro acts, bit of Take That, Spice Girls, Tiesto mixes, Groove Armada. Sure it's probably the more commercial side of things, hut I'm old enough to think for myself and I'm able to justify my tastes. It's not like I'm unaware or I haven't listened other genres, I have and my educated opinion is that I prefer pop. I don't dress as if I belong to any scene or reel of loads of unknown bands to make myself look cool. I answer to the musicians law - if it feels good then do it!

Pish like Snow Patrol, Razorlight and The Fratellis bore me to tears. Really, they're there to sell albums too - the main singer of any of these bands might aswell be the same person cause they all come across as cocks. Worth noting at this point that the best song ever as voted by Virgin Radio listeners was Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars. There's a new brand of sheep called the NME sheep, and they can justify it because they write their own music dontcha know!

Also, local bands - people need to learn that just cause you write your own music and play bad guitar that it doesn't mean you're any good. It might mean you're "talented", but then that should be secondary to actually enjoying the music itself. Faaar too much is made out of credibility these days.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    I like what I like. That's it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    This is all true.

Personally, I don't give a fuck. I get slagged off by all my mates for some of the shit I listen to, but it's better to like cheesy shit because you like it than credible shit because it's credible.

I like a bit of DJ Shadow, bit of Westlife, bit of random as fuck electro acts, bit of Take That, Spice Girls, Tiesto mixes, Groove Armada. Sure it's probably the more commercial side of things, hut I'm old enough to think for myself and I'm able to justify my tastes. It's not like I'm unaware or I haven't listened other genres, I have and my educated opinion is that I prefer pop. I don't dress as if I belong to any scene or reel of loads of unknown bands to make myself look cool. I answer to the musicians law - if it feels good then do it!

Pish like Snow Patrol, Razorlight and The Fratellis bore me to tears. Really, they're there to sell albums too - the main singer of any of these bands might aswell be the same person cause they all come across as cocks. Worth noting at this point that the best song ever as voted by Virgin Radio listeners was Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars. There's a new brand of sheep called the NME sheep, and they can justify it because they write their own music dontcha know!

Also, local bands - people need to learn that just cause you write your own music and play bad guitar that it doesn't mean you're any good. It might mean you're "talented", but then that should be secondary to actually enjoying the music itself. Faaar too much is made out of credibility these days.

Really? God i fucking hate Snow Patrol, all this crappy dreary slow stuff they produce bores me to tears.
  • Options
    I'm glad to see it's not just me :)

As for mainstream, surely indie *is* the mainstream now? So it's hardly individual to like it. I just hate being judged..I don't care what other people do so why do they care about others.

Oh and if anyone likes dance or RnB then they are obviously a complete "chav"

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    People assume that because you like rock/metal/thrash that you're a goth who sacrifices small children and drinks the blood of farm animals.

They're just jealous because they know that deep down, I'm better than them :D
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    As for mainstream, surely indie *is* the mainstream now? So it's hardly individual to like it.

:yes:

Listening to shit like the bands mentioned in this thread is about as non-conformist as eating a tuna sandwich. Stuff like the Arctic Monkeys is actually rock'n'roll by numbers - grow a silly haircut, slag off other bands in the papers, refuse to do Top of The Pops, slag off Radio 1, try and make yourselves look different by playing an ironic pop song cover. A lot of bands like that have a gimmick (skinny jeans/long hair/geek chic etc) which is absolutely no different to Westlife getting up off their stools at the key change. Rock'n'roll these days is so watered down and generic, and there's such a false culture of elitism about the whole genre.

If NME told it's readers to go and jump of a tall building then the suicide rate would go through the roof.
  • Options
    nme is the devil. i'm in a band, and i meet musical snobs practically all the time. (this probably sounds snobbish, oh the irony) alot of people you'd regard as snobs, i.e. people who love razorlight, the kooks, etc wouldn't be seen as snobs by these folk.

alot of people would probably think i'm a music snob based on a few bands/scenes/labels i'm interested in, when really i'm not. it doesn't really matter to me what people listen to, because music isn't there to be used to judge people it's art and entertainment.

what does annoy me, and this was mentionned in a thread last week, about avril lavigne i think. the selling out issue. i like it when hard working bands get recognition from the masses, but it's rather annoying when the new fans jump on the band and claim to be their biggest fans whilst still having gaps in their knowledge of them etc.

one of my mates rightly said "if you can see a bandwagon, you've already missed it". and anything told from nme/kerrang/whatever people read nowadays has almost certainly been on the bandwagon for a while.
  • Options
    Surely there is a lot of reverse snobbery going on in this thread? :confused:
  • Options
    God I read the front cover of Q the other day in Tesco. I had a picture of that twat Johnny Borrell, alongside a quote, "I wasn't born a genius." I just thought, "yeah, and you won't die a genius either you overrated, believe your own bullshit hype, prick." I'm not normally a music snob, but if you like Razorlight, you're shit. :p

Things that I can't stand though. People who think that there is some credibility in liking a band before they became mainstream. People who will claim that a whole genre of music is crap - there's a difference between saying that it's crap and saying that you just don't happen to like it. People who will dismiss music because of how it's made. I mean if someone makes good music, then I couldn't care less what instruments they use, whether they sample other people's music (Moby), whether someone else wrote all their songs (Elvis), whether they use backing tracks (Flaming Lips).
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Surely there is a lot of reverse snobbery going on in this thread? :confused:
    :yes:
  • Options
    People always make out i'm some kinda wannabe gangsta cos i like garage.
  • Options
    People who will claim that a whole genre of music is crap - there's a difference between saying that it's crap and saying that you just don't happen to like it. .

:yes: I've sometimes found this as well. And used to think that dance was crap - however, I've grown to like some of it now.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    As for mainstream, surely indie *is* the mainstream now? So it's hardly individual to like it. I just hate being judged..I don't care what other people do so why do they care about others.

There's no music it's individial to like since there's always going to be a big (or at least semi-big) following of any band. Even the most fucked up, random shit music wise appeals to someone.

Should you want to out-snob them, tell them the shit they listen to isn't even indie. Proper indie is short for "independant". As in, the band is on an independant record label. If, like most of the bands people consider indie, they are on a major label, by sheer definition alone they cannot be indie.

Yes, I probably am what some may call a music snob. Although I don't (at least not in a serious way) slag people for what they listen/don't listen to, if they haven't heard of a band, nor do I do the whole lame "Yeaaah well I liked them before they were big" thing.

EDIT:
    People who will claim that a whole genre of music is crap - there's a difference between saying that it's crap and saying that you just don't happen to like it.

I'm the opposite, I hate when people don't like people saying that. Obviously if someone says a genre is crap, they're talking about their opinion anyway; they're saying they don't like it. They're not trying to pass off what they're saying as a universal truth, or something that is to be considered common opinion.
  • Options
    I'm the opposite, I hate when people don't like people saying that. Obviously if someone says a genre is crap, they're talking about their opinion anyway; they're saying they don't like it. They're not trying to pass off what they're saying as a universal truth, or something that is to be considered common opinion.

The best bit is when they say "yeah, but that's your opinion". Seriously, who the fuck elses opinion is it gonna be?
  • Options

Okay I take your point, but equally you do get people who claim that a certain type of music requires no/less talent compared to another type. Like one sort of music is somehow more valid than another. That's what I was getting at.
  • Options
    Okay I take your point, but equally you do get people who claim that a certain type of music requires no/less talent compared to another type. Like one sort of music is somehow more valid than another. That's what I was getting at.

Music snobbishness aside, the above is true though. Some genres require more skill and talent than others, that's just how it is. You can't possibly argue a genre thats basis is song writing (ie, Led Zep style classic rock) with electro, say. You can't for a second argue thrash metal and generic "indie" pop-rock are on par on sheer guitar playing. You can't argue cheesy Clubland/Wigan Pier dance music has anywhere near the same lyrical talent needed for hip-hop.

It doesn't mean one genre is less credible or less enjoyable than the others, it just means the average individual has more musical talent. Hell, one of my favourite genres is glam/sleaze rock (Motley Crue, Skid Row, etc.). Very, very enjoyable music, but the lyrics are pretty terrible and uninspired.
  • Options
    Music snobbishness aside, the above is true though. Some genres require more skill and talent than others, that's just how it is. You can't possibly argue a genre thats basis is song writing (ie, Led Zep style classic rock) with electro, say. You can't for a second argue thrash metal and generic "indie" pop-rock are on par on sheer guitar playing. You can't argue cheesy Clubland/Wigan Pier dance music has anywhere near the same lyrical talent needed for hip-hop.

Yeah, so they (often) may all require different degrees of talent in different areas, but that doesn't mean that you have to be more talented to make one type of music than another. I mean taking your electro example, I would say that there are plenty of bands who make electro music that are equally proficiant songwriters as many classic rock bands, such as Kraftwerk, Massive Attack, later Radiohead, Royksopp, Air, plenty of others. It's the individual that determines a good writer, not the genre.
  • Options
    Yeah, so they (often) may all require different degrees of talent in different areas, but that doesn't mean that you have to be more talented to make one type of music than another. I mean taking your electro example, I would say that there are plenty of bands who make electro music that are equally proficiant songwriters as many classic rock bands, such as Kraftwerk, Massive Attack, later Radiohead, Royksopp, Air, plenty of others. It's the individual that determines a good writer, not the genre.

I wouldn't consider those 'electro'. When I said electro, I meant all the shit the indie kids listen to. It usually consits of one DJ and usually has a repetative couple of lines.

Anyway, 'different degrees' of talent is pretty much another way of saying more/less talented. Take most generic pop/poppy R&B/whatever acts. All that's really required is a talent for singing and sometimes for writing catchy lyrics; not a talent for major meaningful songwriting, not a talent for instrument playing, or any of the ever so complex things that come with instrument playing.

If all that's required of you by a genre is a talent in two fields say, it goes without saying that genre requires less talent than one that requires talent in five. Like I said, it doesn't automatically make the genre any less credible or enjoyable; it's not the genres fault that's all that's required. It can't make it include other/more talent.
  • Options
    If all that's required of you by a genre is a talent in two fields say, it goes without saying that genre requires less talent than one that requires talent in five. Like I said, it doesn't automatically make the genre any less credible or enjoyable; it's not the genres fault that's all that's required. It can't make it include other/more talent.

So this guy must be the most talented musician in the world.

OneManBand.jpg
  • Options
    Give me his MySpace so I can find out how well he can play them as well as write lyrics and I'll get back to you.
  • Options
    I wouldn't consider those 'electro'. When I said electro, I meant all the shit the indie kids listen to. It usually consits of one DJ and usually has a repetative couple of lines.

I AM INDIE CINDY AND I KNOW ELECTRO....HECTOR. ::yippe:
  • Options
    i am electro boy!