Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Adverts on the site

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
the stats say there's 245 people on the site ATM,

me and 244 Guests - The site always seems to be looking at ways to raise funds... so why not set it so guests see some online adverts and members don't there's always loads of guests and at the same time it encourages people to register to get rid of the averts and provides extra income for something or the other.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Adverts are horrible though :|

and yeah i know it wouldnt affect me because I'm a member but why should guests have to look at em, ew.
    Adverts are horrible though :|

and yeah i know it wouldnt affect me because I'm a member but why should guests have to look at em, ew.

Cos the the site will get lots of money and can throw us regulars a lovely party, with cake, and food and everything .. :thumb:

I use Google ads on my own website and hardly get any clicks but still added up to like $300 over a year and I actually find those text adverts are showing stuff totally relevant to what's on the page.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    The whole idea is thesite is a charity and offers its services for free - not in exchange for lousy banners!
    Add adsense on the bottom of the site, you will raise a ton of money and you dont bother the "regulars" because usually when you post you dont even scroll down that far. But the XXX number of guests might.
    Add adsense on the bottom of the site, you will raise a ton of money and you dont bother the "regulars" because usually when you post you dont even scroll down that far. But the XXX number of guests might.

Yep, just what I was thinking....

I find it funny but not surprising the way people seem to think charity means something special .. charities in the UK are pretty much companies with special status .. I'm helping setup one - so done a lot of research into how it all works in the real world and also have a friend who worked for one for 10 years .. there' not that much difference in the days to day running costs of a charity vs company ... they all got staff and bills to pay.

Also online ads is a good way for people viewing from other countries to contribute towards the running costs and as we said, if you're logged in you'd see nowt.
    Clicking an advert you're interested in, is tantamount to giving a donation.

I sort of like the fact that the site doesn't haver adverts though, even though it's how i make a living, websites look better without them.
    and who is going to take Jim's job next?

Stop telling him how to run the bloody thesite and just use it! :razz:
    I with you DiamondGeezer.

I'm not sure how this lovely site is funded to be honest, i don't know if it gets donations on the premise that it doesn't raise revenue from adverts etc... but providing that isn't an issue, i think a discreet banner at the bottom of the page purely shown for those sneeky guests could help raise a few extra pence here and there and wouldn't be detremental to thesite, certainly not for us lovely members :) and since registering is quick, easy and free it couldn't be viewed as bullying tactics to make people pay rediculous subscription fees.

But I'm sure this, and many other ideas have been/are constantly reviewed by thesite team, but just my little say.
    Yeah good idea. You listenin V!!
    I think it could further back up some of the messages on the board, providing you guys were pretty strict on what was allowed to be advitised!

Like a Durex/Mates/Trojan/Ann Summers banner at the bottom of the sex forum, fish4jobs etc... on the Jobs forum...

May lead to even more prizes being up for grabs :chin:

Being mindful that it may be best to keep the bet365.com / ladbrooks ones out of the money probs forum!

Still again only an idea, and i know what i say doesn't automatically have to happen! (even though it should :impissed: ;) )
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Adverts :yuck:

We have worked with Durex to promote their 'he says she says campaign' on the boards, and on the sex articles on TheSite - hence why we've recently had lots of durex related prizes. But that's as far as promotion would go - we wouldn't have full-on advertising on any area of TheSite.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    I'm not sure how this lovely site is funded to be honest

Clicky

And

Clicky

C'mon Mr Orange - do a sky dive for us. If I can do it, anyone can :)