Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

i want to go to uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i would really like to go to uni but i have just started full-time employment

What should I do ?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    You could continue with your job and when you're 19 take a one year access course to get into uni. You don't have to go down this route. It was just an idea. I'm on an access course now.
  • Options
    i would really like to go to uni but
    a) i have just started full-time employment as a P.A. despite being seventeen
    b) i don't have any more
    c) i don't have any A Levels

What should I do ?

You need to look at getting some A Levels. You can get into uni without them, however I think you have to be over a certain age (21:confused:). Your best bet would be to speak with a local university or careers adviser. Explain your situation and explain what you want to achieve. They should be able to help you as it will depend on what you want to study at university.

But be prepared, to get into university you may have to spend a year or two studying for A levels or another qualification before any university will accept you.

Good luck
    :thumb:
  • Options
    You don't always need A-Levels to get into uni. I'm studying something similar to an NVQ and have been told that this is acceptable by various unis.
  • Options
    Although A Levels are the most recognised qualification, you can get into uni with NVQ's (level 3 min though)

Sounds to me, like going back to college and spending a year or 2 on getting some more qualifications, would be a good idea (and a more constructive one, rather than working full time) because at the end of the day, having more qualifications is always going to work in your favour.

Plus, you're only 17. I'm 21 and starting uni this year. I took 2 gaps years to get some more qualifications, so I could apply for the course I really wanted to do.

If you're really serious, then do it!!
  • Options
    If you want to go back to education and study for Alevels then that would be a good route into uni, you might also be eligable for EMA money, I think that is what it is called, basically its cash to help you through college so you don't have to work so much.

Although you can go to uni at any age, i would say that it is probably easier to do it now whilst you don't have other commitments such as family, career, financial commitments.

So go for it, you will also have about 5years of fun ahead of you, meeting new people, doing new things, getting loads of great offers (ah how i miss the freshers fair!) of course there will be some hard work thrown in there too, but its more fun than doing a job!
  • Options
    Oh yeah, and don't leave it too late, because in a few years (not sure when, exactly) but university tuition fees will be going up from 3k a year, to 10k a year, so get your skates on!!
  • Options
    Oh yeah, and don't leave it too late, because in a few years (not sure when, exactly) but university tuition fees will be going up from 3k a year, to 10k a year, so get your skates on!!

That's if you have to pay for them. I get all my fees paid for me and £5,000 a year in loans and grants. :D
  • Options
    Hi, I'm 17 and going to uni in three weeks...it depends on what course you are looking at doing, i am going into nursing and doing a diploma course therefore only needing 5 GCSES's, so what are you interested in doing? then research into university courses that you are interested in by looking at ages limits etc

there are evening courses you can do such as learn direct and ics, i done a GCSE course in science with ics and they proved really helpful for those who need the help and they also do a levels which would be a help to you

Hope this has given an insight on the goals you need to set yourself :)
  • Options
    It all depends what course you want to do and at which university. Decide that, then look at what they are asking for in terms of entrance requirements. You don't necessarily have to do A-levels to get in to uni, but it all depends on what you want to apply for.
  • Options
    How comes there are two threads with the same question, is this a problem with the forum, or has it been posted twice intentionally?
  • Options
    Not sure but they've been merged now