Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ideas for crafts/hobbies...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey! currently abroad in spain for 3 months, had a tiny luggage allowance so wasn't really able to bring most of the stuff i would use to entertain myself when not studying. I used to make loads of jewellry etc in england, but i've not been able to bring any of my beads with me here :crying:

so i'm after a craft that i can do whilst im here. i'm thinking of something different from jewellry, and i'm not really a painter/drawing type- pity, because if i was this city would be perfect, it's incredibly picturesque! it also needs to be not too expensive, easily accessible materials/tools...

it has been suggested that i take up crochet, or knitting, which could well be a possibility, but i don't know how long i would keep it up for! so does anyone else have any ideas for any sort of hobby or craft?

ta xx

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I do knitting. I like it and it is really therapeutic. Have a look my blog and see some of the creations i've made recently. They don't need to be large knits, something small like socks, gloves, etc.
  • Options
    Looks amazing! have you any recommendations for pattern websites? if i can find one cheap enough here i might find a pattern book (and then have fun translating it :S) but if there are any free or good value cheapish websites i'd love to know about them...

ETA: i'm also excited to hear about the release date for harry potter, just after i get back!!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Looks amazing! have you any recommendations for pattern websites? if i can find one cheap enough here i might find a pattern book (and then have fun translating it :S) but if there are any free or good value cheapish websites i'd love to know about them...

ETA: i'm also excited to hear about the release date for harry potter, just after i get back!!

A knitting pattern is actually really easy to read. You just do exactly what it says (funny that!) but it is scarier to look at than it actually is (if you know what I mean!).

For free patterns, have a look at knitty or magknits. I prefer knitty and have made some things from there in the past, including the fetching fingerless gloves. You could easily do them in a couple of days once you know the basics :yes:

And I can't wait for HP. I have already pre-ordered and will be at WHSmiths at midnight :yippe:

EDIT: For tutorials, check out knitting help. This site is a godsend and I learnt most of my basics from it. It has lots of videos to help you too.
  • Options
    I do cross stitch from time to time. It's pretty easy to pick up and wouldnt need much translation is you buy complete kits.
  • Options
    used to like cross stitch when i was little. will have a look, i think i've seen some kits around here. am feeling very positive about the knitting though!!
  • Options
    I agree with the cross stitch! Easy and time consuming. Though, I run into it alot where the ones that come in the kits are stupid. Oh a dog and a cat hugging. Bla.

So I bought a book with multiple lion Kign crossstitches! And the supplies are extremly cheap. Forgive my $ but a roll of string costs me only 20 cents or get them in packages. YOu don't have to use the exact color the design might say. And you can get designs free online. Though the fabric can get pricy.

More pricy than buying a thing of yarn and knitting. I would love to learn to knit. Little Missy has inspired me!
  • Options
    hehe you know i always collect the stuff for scrapbooks and then never actually get round to putting them together...i'm pretty sure that i've got a selection of stuff for a scrapbook from when i went to australia about...4 years ago now!

am off to the shops tomorrow to see what i can find craftwise!!