Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Getting a credit card - is there much point?

Was talking to a friend of mine this morning and we ended up talking about legal downloads. He told me that in order to get any of the legal downloads, you need a credit card and he suggested that I get one.

Is there much point me getting a credit card just to purchase songs? I'm unlikely to use it for anything else.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You don't need a credit card, a debit card will do. Credit cards are only for people that like to spend money they haven't got :p.
  • Options
    Man I wish the companies would stop filling you youngsters' heads with such crap. Downloading music is not illegal (well, not in most major countries like the UK/US... Sweden recently passed a law against it). Sharing music is what's illegal (ie, uploading it/letting other people download it from you). That's the only thing that's possible to violate, as you are breaching the "contract" you enter into when purchasing a CD not to distribute the material contained on it without permission.

Seriously, every time you read about someone being taken to court over this the media are ver careful about their wording. The crime is always "file sharing", with some mentions of "illegal download sites" (any site that offers the music in this way is breaking the law, not the downloader). The only reason people still believe this myth is because the music companies aren't exactly in a hurry to correct people over it.

EDIT: A further example of this oh-so clever wording is things like iTunes advertising their services as "legal downloads". That may very well be, but downloading music from torrent sites, KaZaA, SoulSeek, LimeWire and everywhere else is perfectly legal too.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    You don't need a credit card, a debit card will do. Credit cards are only for people that like to spend money they haven't got :p.

If you're sensible they can be useful to get the benefits too though. For example buying with store cards can give you a discount but if you don't pay it off at the end of the month you can get stung with 25+% apr :(.
  • Options
    It's also useful to have a credit card and use it every now and again to buy something with then pay it off straight away. It's helps to build up your credit score (or whatever it's called these days) so that when you do need credit (mortgage or whatever), companies can see that you're a safe bet basically.

Don't get one if you think that you're going to be tempted to use it too much though.
  • Options
    I had a credit card once, I think I was far too young to have been allowed one, i was totally ignorant about the consequences of spending £3k of money I didn't have and paying it off and cutting it up was the best thing I have ever done, I don't have one now and I doubt I will ever get one again! Use your debit card to make payments if you already have the cash.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    EDIT: A further example of this oh-so clever wording is things like iTunes advertising their services as "legal downloads". That may very well be, but downloading music from torrent sites, KaZaA, SoulSeek, LimeWire and everywhere else is perfectly legal too.

if you live in the UK you can get civil penalties for downloading.
  • Options
    if you live in the UK you can get civil penalties for downloading.

Source? This stuff was part of my uni course when I started a few years ago. Unless the law has changed in the past couple of years (and they strangely haven't informed us), it's not illegal to download music.
  • Options
    Loopi wrote: »
    Don't get one if you think that you're going to be tempted to use it too much though.

Which is what I'm worried about. I'm just as bad now...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Was talking to a friend of mine this morning and we ended up talking about legal downloads. He told me that in order to get any of the legal downloads, you need a credit card and he suggested that I get one.

Is there much point me getting a credit card just to purchase songs? I'm unlikely to use it for anything else.

As said by others, get one to buy stuff on and then pay it off straight away. That way you can start building up a credit rating. If you've never had credit before then when you do want some, the banks/lending companies don't know whether to trust you or not.

Also some sites and stuff where they may take credit cards but not debit ones.
  • Options
    Source? This stuff was part of my uni course when I started a few years ago. Unless the law has changed in the past couple of years (and they strangely haven't informed us), it's not illegal to download music.

Which is what I heard/read somewhere.

I don't have a debit card either. Currently, the only card I have is the one for an under 19s bank account.
  • Options

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5100441.html
    "This law is aimed at the most dangerous activity: the organized crime gangs with warehouses of pirated materials," patent office spokesman Jeremy Philpott said. "It is not meant to bring criminal charges to individual downloaders."

He added that individual downloaders would still be subject to civil penalties, which would include injunctions and/or a demand of payment for damages. They would not be hit with prison term or fines, he said.
  • Options
    Read the article carefully, it only mentions people who exchange music. It also only mentions those those who download files as being at risk for civil penalties (note, I didn't say downloading software/movies etc. wasn't illegal, only music).

As it stands, what's right and what's wrong regarding music downloading is a grey area depending entirely on semantics.
    It is an offence to perform any of the following acts without the consent of the owner:

Copy the work.

Rent, lend or issue copies of the work to the public.

Perform, broadcast or show the work in public.

Adapt the work.
  • Options

Or you could just use your credit card wisely and not spend more than you know you can pay back that month :p

I think getting one could be a good idea if you have enough brain power to use it wisely. Building your credit is a very helpful thing. As Malajusted and Loopi said, Having no credit can often be as bad as having bad credit. Companies won't want to take a chance on you either way. I remember having to pay $200 when I first got my own cell phone because I had no credit to my name. And I wouldn't even be able to think about taking out a loan for a car or house or anything else.

Plus, alot of credit cards give you kickbacks. I've got one from a gas station where I get 3% back on all puchases from them and 1% back on everything else. Buying gas where I can get it almost a dime cheaper a gallon sure makes me happy. Much better than my 1/4% with the debit card. I never use that. THe main thing is just not to spend more money than you have.

I know I can comfortably pay back x amount each month, so no matter what my credit limit is, I won't spend more than that personally set amount. And if something happens where I need to, then I would use the debit card. Imo, credit cards can be useful, helpful and benificial as long as you have the sense to use them sensibly.
  • Options
    Spoke to my mum earlier who has basically told me that, by getting a credit card, I am probably masking a big mistake (debts and stuff) but has said I can get a debit/cheque garuntee card.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Spoke to my mum earlier who has basically told me that, by getting a credit card, I am probably masking a big mistake (debts and stuff) but has said I can get a debit/cheque garuntee card.

What does she mean, masking a big mistake? I don't get that. I have 2 credit cards and a store card, but the only debts I have are my student loan.
  • Options
    Because she had one when she was young and my parents are in loads of debt.
  • Options
    There's no saying that you'll make the same mistakes as your parents did with them. I've got 8 credit cards, each one is paid off in full. Whenever a newer better offer comes out I get a new credit card. Generally only ever spend on 1 of them at the time and only amounts I know I can pay off each month.

Having a credit card does help your credit rating loads. There are plenty of places that you can get free credit checks from now and they will also tell you how you can improve things as well. Here is one place perhaps you should have a nosey and see what you think afterwards.
  • Options
    What does she mean, masking a big mistake? I don't get that. I have 2 credit cards and a store card, but the only debts I have are my student loan.

maybe she knows her daughter and doesnt think that she is responsible enough with money

just because you have credit cards and store cards and manage them well, maybe sofie wont so her mum has advised her not to get one

sounds sensible to me

(p.s sofie...i'm not implying you're crap with money x)
  • Options
    I don't really understand the mentality of credit cards. I would rather use an overdraft, or save my money if I really want something.

Having said that, I did get a gold card when the bank offered me, I figured I could use it in emergencies, if I ever needed to just run away and buy a flight ticket. But recently Lloyds TSB wrote to me and said they were going to start charging me for my credit card (as I had never used it) so I cancelled it.

I would advise against credit cards.
  • Options
    You can exploit the banks - they're selling you a service because if you can't pay back immediately they make tonnes of cash.

But for those who are exceptionally good with their money, they can buy things on credit, get the benefits (credit score, 'points', discounts etc. etc.) and then pay them back without the interest charge :)

Of course, the thing with credit is that if you have planned to pay back £500 when you get paid, but then a direct debit doesnt go through or whatever, then you may end up with £400 cash and £500 debt, so next month you have (£500 on groceries / stuff) + £100 * interest = more debt, and it quickly spirals out of control.

Which makes the bank happy because it gets to a point where you're basically just paying interest whilst the capital is stuck, so bit like protection money really. 'Pay or we'll make you bankrupt'.

Which is why it's all the more suspect eople who have had debt problems in the apst are all too easily offered credit as an easy way to get out. If people aren't goo with their money dno't make it easier for them to lose it all.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    maybe she knows her daughter and doesnt think that she is responsible enough with money

just because you have credit cards and store cards and manage them well, maybe sofie wont so her mum has advised her not to get one

sounds sensible to me

(p.s sofie...i'm not implying you're crap with money x)

:yes: And I do know what you are trying to say to me.
  • Options
    I just got offered a card today, NO way, you DO not need a credit card to get a credit rating, aslong as you have a bank account with money going in and out you build a rating.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I just got offered a card today, NO way, you DO not need a credit card to get a credit rating, aslong as you have a bank account with money going in and out you build a rating.

It helps though.
  • Options
    oh of course it does, but is it really worth it? I mean, I've never had the need for a card, even with a morgage and child.

if you can't afford it, WAIT, the letter I got today said "you pay your bills, then your car breaks and need to fix it, this card will allow you too" well if you need to fix it, wait, use a bus or train

thats my views anyway, I hate Credit cards, I've seen what they can do to people.
  • Options
    Possible reasons for using a credit card instead of bank card could be -

If you're not sure of the source, it'd be less risk to you to use a credit card (Obviously better to buy from trusted sources though).

If you're sensible, it can allow you to control your finances.

Managing one can improve your ratings.

They can be handy if you suddenly need to get something you haven't planned for.

It's plainly obvious that mis-managing a credit card will get you into a financial mess, but that's the same with a lot of things. If you're a dullard and can't manage to know what you can and can't afford, then don't get a card. Otherwise you have nothing to fear - they are just a piece of plastic after all.
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking if you pay your whole balance off before the end of the month there is no interest charge? Or do they still charge you for something?

My girlfriends mum uses hers for christmas and holidays so she can pay them off over 3 months rather than all in one go. In an ideal world you'd save up but they seem to manage fine.