Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Digital Camera?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya folks!

I am in dire need of a new digital camera since my HP one died on me after a year and three months - woe! :(

I am after one which is under the following criteria -

- Under 200smackeroos preferably.
- Over 8MP preferably.
- User friendly perhaps with an auto feature where it can recognise the surroundings I'm taking a photo for and doesn't need me faffing about with it?
- Not too fiddly, fiddly I mean doesn't need a specific lens and suchlike.
- One that will stand the test of time in my handbag as I go to many a gig/discodancing where I take lots of photos.
- Lovely photos of my general MySpace posing merriment (yes I have no shame).
- Lovely photos of family.
- Lovely photos of things for Ebay etc.
- Lovely photos of when I go abroad to Thailand and Costa Rica this year so I can make everyone jealous! :D

These have been advised so far..

Kodak V705.
Pentax Optio A30.
Canon IXUS 900 II.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bump in the night..or Sunday morning..
    if you sign up to kodak's photo sharing website they often send offers on their cameras when brought direct from them

I have no idea why you'd need 8M Pixels unless you plan to print out posters from your shots

Best advice is to buy a camera you'd actually carry around with you from place to place, so small and light
    I have no idea why you'd need 8M Pixels unless you plan to print out posters from your shots

I thought the higher the MP the better the photo quality?
    1983 wrote: »
    I thought the higher the MP the better the photo quality?

God no

companies use that rating cos it's the only thing most consumers understand - and think bigger number = better

I've had many digital cameras everything from a keychain one to a £700 Nikon SLR that weighed a tonne, and that was the one that gave the best pics but I used the least cos it was like having a brick with you.

That's why I said get a camera you'll actually take place - a cheapo camera that you take with you, takes 1000x better photos then the £700 camera you leave at home cos it's too big and heavy.

What makes the difference most is the lens and in such matter size matters .. :D Usually the bigger the lense the better the pics cos it simply allows more light to be captured but hen it's also gonna be thicker, heavier, etc.

Then the chip and software that converts the image into a digital file.

The camera I use the most is 3.2 M pixels more then enough, as it is I resize pic down for the web. Recently got a Samsung camera for my aunt which was very nice and you can use it for movies too, but pics come out a little red for my liking.

This is what I use the most

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/dimagexg.html

About 3 years old now but probably taken over 10,000 photos with my camera.

I'd also look at Casio camera's they are very good as well.

I'd also suggest you think about the battery the camera will use - cos cameras that use AA batteries are handy as you can buy Rechargable AA's cheaply and get normal AA's anywhere in the world.
    Basically if you are only going to print out any photos you take in the standard photo album size print then anything between 3.2 and say 6/7 MP is fine.

Before i go any further let me just point something out, although Diamondgeezer is correct for the price you can pick up some 5/6/7 mega pixel cameras you can just as easily pick up 10 mega pixel ones for the same. I picked out two 10 MP ones when i was looking both around the £200 pound mark. Worthy of noting that.

Out of the three you have picked, I'd say that Pentax. However Casio cameras are also good one's. A couple of their digicams actually have an Ebay best shot mode which has pre defined settings for just that purpose. With the auto mode, I've found in various cameras and we're talking a lot of them, that it's not always the best mode to go for, it doesnt always give you the best picture. That said it can still do a good job in the right condtitions as any mode can.

If you want small then look at Pentax and Casio, couple of Nikons out there that are very small also.

don't forget their student discount with an NUS Card
    don't forget their student discount with an NUS Card

I've got my mates' at the ready to use, but does that look a good bargain?
    Jessops often price match without really checking.

Tell them you've seen it for £50 less on Cameras 4 u , online (or somewhere similar).

Worth a go. I got £100 off my vid-camera.
    I've got my mates' at the ready to use, but does that look a good bargain?

With an extra 10% it should be a good price - Froogle isn't showing anything cheaper

http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?q=Exilim+EX-Z11&oe=UTF-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&scoring=p

If you want to take pictures in the dark like at nightclubs though I'd find out how well it copes in the dark, by Aunt's Samsung has an orange lamp which helps it to focus in the dark but the viewing screen still remains dark so it's hard to even see who's in the picture until after you've taken the shot - but my Minolta doesn't have a lamp like that but it does automatically adjust the contrast on the viewing screen and it also has a viewfinder as well as well as a screen - useful for low light shots and saving battery.

Anyway I emailed a friend who has casio cam's sure he'll let me know if it can befound cheaper elsewhere.