Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Weight Problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have problems with my weight. im a girl, 20 years old and a size 22/24 roughly. ive been to the doctors about my weight, and they just told me to eat less and excercise more. ive been doing this since january, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. i can't say im an angel, i dont excercise as much as i should because i hate it and feel embarrasssed to be seen excercising, i get tired out really quickly and the sight of all my fat jiggling about if i try and run or jump just gets me down so much i hate it. ive had problems with binge eating in the past, as well as making myself sick and i try and stop but still do it when I'm unhappy. ive also started drinking a lot recently, which i know doesn't help with weight but it helps me to forget about things. What should i do? when i genuinely try and get help the doctors just treat me like all I do is sit and eat or something which isnt true at all. i dont eat loads, just what a normal person would. i just dont know what to do about it any more and i cry myself to sleep over it at night. i know there isnt a quick fix but the long term options dont seem to be helping me much either.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Every fuckin time i go to the doctors, for any reason, they wanna weigh me. I know i'm fat, i don't need the fuckin scales to tell me every single time.

Hmm i do feel sorry for you, i'll never be stick thin so i understand the problems with trying to lose weight. I have no solution though sadly :)
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    It isn't easy. Try with brisk walking everyday (a normal enough activity). Perhaps you could join a gym or something - ask them when the quiet times are, I'm sure they'll be understanding.

I know progress isnt always quick and sometimes all you wanna do is jack it all in and have a burger but try and stick with it. I've been at it since January (with a few slip ups) and I've lost over 2 stone (and I do still have a long way to go), my fitness has improved massively through just walking more, taking stairs instead of escalators, walking home instead of getting a lift, getting off the bus a stop earlier and walking the extra. Every little bit helps. I'm now starting to go to the gym to try and further my progress - it has been hard sticking to it but it is worth it - honestly.
    Have to say JsT i saw a pic or two of you recently and you look better for it.
    Lacy wrote: »
    Have to say JsT i saw a pic or two of you recently and you look better for it.
    Ta :)
    I've been overweight since I was about 8 so I know what it's like. But, I'm not going to feel sorry for you, because you are this way because of you, like I'm overweight, because of me.

You need to realise that a) drinking copious amounts of alcohol is only going to make you fatter.

b) You get out of life, what you put into it. You need to pull your finger out and exercise whether you like it or not. Exercising releases endorphines (happy hormones!) so the more you exercise, the happier you will naturally feel.

c) You don't look amazing in gym gear, but you never will if you don't get over what you look like while you exercise. I can guarantee you that people in general are always more involved in themselves, they will be too involved in worrying about what they look like to notice the fat girl in the corner.

d) Losing weight healthily takes TIME. More time than from January, til now. You should give yourself the best part of a year to lose enough weight to make a vast difference.

And finally, how much exercise do you actually do and when you do do it, what do you do to exercise? What do you eat on a day to day basis? and how much food do you eat daily?

In order to change your weight permanently, your lifestyle has to change permanently too. It's no good exercising for 3 months if you don't plan to make it a permanent life style change because you will put weight back on as soon as you stop exercising.

You have to make the decision to stop being overweight and to put all your effort into losing the weight and getting into shape, no one can do that for you.
    Start keeping a diary of everything you eat, and why you're eating it- like hungry, upset, bored, etc. I like the webiste fitday.com which works out how many cals u should be eating, and also what your daily exercise is worth etc, but of course, there are other sites too. I also agree with the walking advice, walk pretty fast for 45 mins after a breaky of a poached egg on whole grain toast, an apple/orange, which will kick start your metabolism in the morning.

good luck

x
    katralla wrote: »
    breaky of a poached egg on whole grain toast, an apple/orange, which will kick start your metabolism in the morning.

Absolutely have to agree with breakfast. I never used to but now try to whenever time allows and when I get up. Leads to less hunger before lunch and less snacking etc.

Even try simple stuff like drinking water instead of snacking to suppress your appetite.
    also, if your body is still in starvation/sleep mode all day, you're not doing yourself any favours. Other good breakfasts are porridge and whole grain cereals.
    get a comfy black sim suit with a skirt bottom, take a friend and go to ladies night at the local pool. Keep a record of how many lengths you do, no matter if it's not very many to start with, add four lengths each time you go. Swimming will be better than jogging if you are quite overweight I think, becasue it will put less pressure on your joints. The gym rats on here would probably advise you to lift some heavy ass weights, which combined with swimming, ain't a bad idea.
    Hi there, I think by the sounds of it, you realise that you've got a problem and you have been to the doctors and asked for help and they haven't provided you with it. The fact that you have said how unhappy you have been coupled with your admission of making yourself sick in the past is something that shouldn't be overlooked. There have been some excellent suggestions especially eating breakfast! Perhaps your body isn't getting all the nutrients it needs either so some multi vitamins might be a good way to boost these levels.

If I were you, I would go back to my GP and ask for further help and advice, I know someone who was given a type of councelling to help with their relationship with food and was given help and support for exercise and diet which helped them to lose 5 stone.

Maybe take some practical steps at changing your diet as well, obviously alcohol is a big culprit and cutting this out will help. If you tend to have a snack in the evening, make it something good for you like a probiotic youghart or some nuts or fruit. Make sure you eat regularly throughout the day as well so breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, evening snack.

As for exercising in public, I feel exactly the same but at the end of the day if you don't bite the bullet and make the decision to get out there and do it, it is you who will suffer, stop worrying about what other people think and just get on with it.
    What do you eat in a typical day? How often do you eat?

Ilora is right - if you want to make changes, you have to make them for life. And the only person with the power to change things is you. Having the motivation to want to do something, and motivating yourself to do that thing, and keep doing that thing are different things.

What do you want to do? If you honestly want to change things, then you can. But you need to be committed and motivated to see it through. It also involves changing previous perceptions, and accepting that drinking in excess, binging/purging etc are going to do your body *and* mind more harm than good.

Pop in and have a read/contribute to the gym rats thread. We don't bite ;) and there are some people in there who have a great deal of info about nutrition and exercise.
    The gym rats on here would probably advise you to lift some heavy ass weights, which combined with swimming, ain't a bad idea.

See, our tactics work :D Building muscle is as important as burning fat - it's a wonderful metabolically active tissue that will raise your metabolism, and lots of other good things. But it works best with a combination of healthy eating, and short, intense bouts of cardio.

But it perhaps would be a good idea to see another professional who can help you to start out with all this. Good fitness trainers tend to work out a lot themselves, and so have good ideas on nutritional balance etc. Gyms can be very intimidating places, but you need to push past that fear barrier (easier said than done). We have a couple of ladies who started out size 20+, and in only a few months, they are making great progress. Plus exercise boosts those endorphins, so you'll feel better for it.
    If you are quite big, exercise such as running can be painful. Bouncing around isn't a lot of fun. But low impact workouts can do a lot too, even just walking briskly, marching up and down stairs.

You could try some workout DVDs? I know it's a bit sad but Rosemary Conley ones are good and you can go at your own pace.

You may not eat loads, but perhaps you are eating the wrong sorts of foods.
    I exercise at home. I have a trampette (apparently 10 mins on that = 20 minute jog!) a step machine, a skipping rope, a couple of dumbells and an ab cruncher.

All of that was bought second hand. So you don't necessarily need a gym membership to get exercise!
    II have a trampette (apparently 10 mins on that = 20 minute jog!)

What exactly do you do on that? Just jump up and down? I was thinking about getting one but I wouldn't know what to do!!
    kangoo wrote: »
    What exactly do you do on that? Just jump up and down? I was thinking about getting one but I wouldn't know what to do!!

You usually get instructions and exercise ideas with any piece of equipment you buy :)
    One of my friends is about the same size as you, and she's started going to the doctors every week to see a nurse/nutritionist. Not exactly sure what she's doing because she doesn't talk about it, but they're monitoring her somehow and she's mentioned having to do a certain amount of exercise each day.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    One of my friends is about the same size as you, and she's started going to the doctors every week to see a nurse/nutritionist. Not exactly sure what she's doing because she doesn't talk about it, but they're monitoring her somehow and she's mentioned having to do a certain amount of exercise each day.

My mate went and all they gave her was diet pills (she still eats the same crap and does nothoing). I've put on two odd stone in the last year or so due to eating an doing fuck all, i'm now a size errrr 14-16 (we'll go for 14... :p) and all my doctor basically told me is i need to eat less and get off my fat ass and run or something. Theres more useful info from this lot than i'd get from my sadistic doc.

I'm so gettin a trampette though :hyper:
    Lacy wrote: »
    My mate went and all they gave her was diet pills (she still eats the same crap and does nothoing). I've put on two odd stone in the last year or so due to eating an doing fuck all, i'm now a size errrr 14-16 (we'll go for 14... :p) and all my doctor basically told me is i need to eat less and get off my fat ass and run or something. Theres more useful info from this lot than i'd get from my sadistic doc.

I'm so gettin a trampette though :hyper:

You're only average. I really have no idea what she's doing. But she's the way she is because she ate crap and did nothing. However, i think most of her family are on the big side. Not huge but they're all quite big i think.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    You're only average. I really have no idea what she's doing. But she's the way she is because she ate crap and did nothing. However, i think most of her family are on the big side. Not huge but they're all quite big i think.

Blame the genes :p :yes:
    I've been overweight since I was about 8 so I know what it's like. But, I'm not going to feel sorry for you, because you are this way because of you, like I'm overweight, because of me.

You need to realise that a) drinking copious amounts of alcohol is only going to make you fatter.

b) You get out of life, what you put into it. You need to pull your finger out and exercise whether you like it or not. Exercising releases endorphines (happy hormones!) so the more you exercise, the happier you will naturally feel.

c) You don't look amazing in gym gear, but you never will if you don't get over what you look like while you exercise. I can guarantee you that people in general are always more involved in themselves, they will be too involved in worrying about what they look like to notice the fat girl in the corner.

d) Losing weight healthily takes TIME. More time than from January, til now. You should give yourself the best part of a year to lose enough weight to make a vast difference.

And finally, how much exercise do you actually do and when you do do it, what do you do to exercise? What do you eat on a day to day basis? and how much food do you eat daily?

In order to change your weight permanently, your lifestyle has to change permanently too. It's no good exercising for 3 months if you don't plan to make it a permanent life style change because you will put weight back on as soon as you stop exercising.

You have to make the decision to stop being overweight and to put all your effort into losing the weight and getting into shape, no one can do that for you.

It's not often that I agree with Ilora, but here I think is the best response in this thread. The stark reality, if you would.

It will be hard work to lose weight. It will be especially hard work to gain shapelyness, because muscle will form underneath fat. You have to stick at it. Set goals for how much you want to do in a week, month, whatever and reward yourself for meeting them.
    Mist wrote: »
    It's not often that I agree with Ilora, but here I think is the best response in this thread.
    Seconded. As for the bit about noticing bigger people at the gym .... it just doesn't happen. The only people that I notice when I'm at the gym are the ones that are fitter and thinner than me and there are loads of them or so it seems.

As for getting exercise, I've got an exercise bike (ebay - £10 with a thigh master and ab cruncher) and Davina DVD. It's easy to do and cheap. I've also recently started walking and it's amazing how much my ass has risen. I'm not sure if I've lost weight but walking really does tone up the legs and it's easy to do and nobody will look at you strangely for doing it.
    Im a size 18 at the moment I was a size 20 to 22 about August last year. I honestly agree that faddy diets don't work long term you get fed up after a while and then, if you are like me binge, feel sorry for yourself and then give up.

Illora is right about everything and apparently according to my friend who is thin and toned, running on the trampette thing is good for you and it cushions your joints more than running on the road.

Can I ask, and please dont think im being rude, do you know much about healthy eating and nutrition ? If you don't then what you feel is a healthy meal could actually contain lots of calories, sugar or fat. Food that advertises as low fat can often have high sugar content. If you want to have a treat then its better to have a few squares of dark chocolate than some super expensive low fat pudding that will probably have lots of sugar in it.

Making your own food from fresh ingredients instead of pre prepared ready meals is another good way of checking whats actually in there and you can limit your portion size.
    Learning about nutrition is a good idea duckie. I've always thought that i should learn about nutrition an stuff ya know. But how do you learn about this sorta thing? :confused:
    My friend is really into health and nutrition and is always telling me what I should and shouldnt eat, but your doctor should be able to refer you to a nutritionalist if you ask. As silly as it sounds perhaps join weightwatchers or something they give you a book that gives you the basics when you join, you dont have to keep going after that unless you want to.
    i get really embarased exercising in public so i got an exercise dvd to do at home which ok you feel a bit of a prat to start with but its actually doing me alot of good i got kirsty gallaghers body sculpt an i really recomend it, its got different difficultys and also has a 6 week work out plan and a section of advice about healthy eating.
    youve just gota try to stay positive and ignor the doctors, when they see someone whose overweight they always assume its our fault for not trying to loose weight. it will take some time and any of those diets that claim you can loose loads of weight really fast are stupid cos you'll just put it back on again if you dont loose it in a sensible way.
    Have you had a look around your area for a weight loss club? my friend went to one and she found it really helpful cos they were all having the same problems and all helped each other to loose weight, or have you thought about weightwatchers? theyr supposed to be very good
    it sounds like you need some people around you to help you out and make you feel better about yourself.