Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Copyright

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I didnt know where to put this so i plonked it in here.

Just a simple question really i need answering, im not that smart :)

If i wanted for example to create a company selling cars using:

carsupermarket.com and maybe using their slogan, the XXX comparison site

ms-logo.gif

can i do it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well if you go on the site and check out the copyright agreement thing ull find out from there
    no, that domain name isnt available :razz:
    that was a example :P

I dont think i can see it on their T&C's :/
    You can do that business model, it really hasn't got anything to do with money supermarket, so long as your not encroaching on anyones registered trademark/company name, then you can do it!
    There was a pop group called Brother 2 Brother who had to change their name because there was already a group in France with the same name. Yes, I think as long as you don't copy somebody else's name, then you're cool.
    I didnt know where to put this so i plonked it in here.

Just a simple question really i need answering, im not that smart :)

If i wanted for example to create a company selling cars using:

carsupermarket.com and maybe using their slogan, the XXX comparison site

ms-logo.gif

can i do it?

If you make a site called carsupermarket.com you might get away with it, but copy their name and slogan with just a one word difference and you might end up letting a judge decide.

Thing of something more original. How about the-car-market.com or something that is not almost exactly like another site. Subtle differences have gone to court before.

I owned a site called xxxxxxxFFFFxxxxxx.com (dont want to give the real name) and someone made their site xxxxxxxFFFFDDDDDxxxxxx.com just changing one word. I had to go to court because they were stealing my users away from google and i had the name copyrighted.
    As has been said, you'll be ok if you not copying from the other site, and you'll be ok if you use "the xxx comparison site" or "the #1 xxx comparison site".