Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Red tape

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Had an interview yesterday, they needed proof of my National Insurance number so I took in a payslip. Nope, that wasn't good enough because they wanted an offical government document.

What a bunch of fucking jobsworths. Of course I can work in the UK, I'm about as foreign as a fish supper and they know this fine well, but they just felt like making a fuss.

So today I pop into the jobcentre and ask for a confirmation letter, no can do. Although they were amzed that they wouldn't accept my payslip as evidence. Phone up the National Insurance line and it'll take 7-10 working days to send a letter out. So I can't get an interview for this job I really want just because somebody can't be arsed printing out a letter and putting it in an envelope.

It's an absolute piece of nonsense.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do they not send you nat insurance cards anymore then?
    He's probably like me and lost it :grump:
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    oh sweetie, thats shit. I am no help, but just sending you some sympathy!!
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Had an interview yesterday, they needed proof of my National Insurance number so I took in a payslip. Nope, that wasn't good enough because they wanted an offical government document.

What a bunch of fucking jobsworths. Of course I can work in the UK, I'm about as foreign as a fish supper and they know this fine well, but they just felt like making a fuss.

So today I pop into the jobcentre and ask for a confirmation letter, no can do. Although they were amzed that they wouldn't accept my payslip as evidence. Phone up the National Insurance line and it'll take 7-10 working days to send a letter out. So I can't get an interview for this job I really want just because somebody can't be arsed printing out a letter and putting it in an envelope.

It's an absolute piece of nonsense.

That's pants that they won't accept your payslip. I'm amazed too! Is it for a government job or something?!

The staff at NICO have to tell you the letter will take 7-10 days but it should be earlier. We send out letter confirming benefit entitlement and we have to advise 7-10 days even though we type and print the letter the second it's requested (as do NICO.) This is because we can't control Royal Mail and if we say it's there tomorrow and it isn't then we haven't managed your expectations very well.
    A lot of employment agencies and some employers are really funny about evidence, they want your passport and NI card. They seem to have really tightened up since the influx of migrant workers.

When I see subcontractors at work who want a construction industry card I'm not allowed to accept payslips or P60's as proof of their number either. All payroll packages I know require the payroll person to input the National Insurance number manually and there is too much room for mistakes, or just making it up completely!
    Shame!
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    The staff at NICO have to tell you the letter will take 7-10 days but it should be earlier. We send out letter confirming benefit entitlement and we have to advise 7-10 days even though we type and print the letter the second it's requested (as do NICO.) This is because we can't control Royal Mail and if we say it's there tomorrow and it isn't then we haven't managed your expectations very well.

Yeah totally, they said exactly that - they're told to advise 7-10 working days but it could be sooner. Just a bit of a pain because I'm not really able to reschedule the interview till a week on Tuesday now, whereas if I knew it was being sent out first class I could reschedule for the middle of next week :grump:

I can see why there's rules though, but a bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss. Hell even if they couldn't formally offer me a job they could at least have taken me through the interview process and asked me to come back with proof when I got it.