Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

'Chrisitian'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure where i could have put this, but i've been wondering. Does being baptised as a christian make you a christian?
Feel free to move it if need be.

Comments

• Options
    Personally I would think there was a bit more to it than that. Otherwise the Bible would be a very short book, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Hm, isn't the ceremony sort of blessing you by god and 'letting you in' in a sense? I'm not sure what the actual point of the ceremony is. I suppose to be a true christian you need to go to church and all that.
  • Options
    I was baptised but I'm about as Christian as Bin Laden.

I think it maybe technically makes you a Christian, but don't quote me on it.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    I was baptised but I'm about as Christian as Bin Laden.

:lol: Me too.
    I think it maybe technically makes you a Christian, but don't quote me on it.

I would have thought so too.
  • Options
    Some people would say yes, but that's bullshit. It just means at that point in your life you were Christian. If you don't believe/follow Christianity, you aren't one, the same as if you used to take part in the practises of any religion and no longer do, you aren't classed as part of that religion either.
  • Options
    No, being baptised as a baby doesn't make a person a Christian, it makes them a child of Christian parents.

I was baptised, had first communion and went through all of the ritual, but I don't consider myself Christian. I believe it's more about a person's actions and attitude rather than sitting in a church every Sunday.
  • Options
    I have been confirmed and I still say I am not Christian, to be Christian as far as I am concerned is a matter of believing in Christianity, I dont beleive in any of the crap about having to be christened, taking your first communion or being confirmed.

Either you believe in Christianity and you are Christian or you dont beleive and you are not, as simple as that as far as i am concerned!
  • Options
    I guess it helps if you spell Christian correctly in the thread title :lol:

I was baptised CofE. Then again, I didn't have much say in the matter, being about a month old at the time. Needless to say I hadn't formulated a proper opinion on organised religion at that point.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    No, being baptised as a baby doesn't make a person a Christian, it makes them a child of Christian parents.

:yes: I think to be a tue Christian, you need to go to church, believe in God, etc.
  • Options
    Gavman wrote: »
    Either you believe in Christianity and you are Christian or you dont beleive and you are not, as simple as that as far as i am concerned!

Yep. If you're baptised then convert to Islam later in life, you can't exactly be classed as a Christian.
  • Options
    I guess it helps if you spell Christian correctly in the thread title :lol:

I was baptised CofE. Then again, I didn't have much say in the matter, being about a month old at the time. Needless to say I hadn't formulated a proper opinion on organised religion at that point.

lack of sleep from yesterday is catching up on me :p
    i think it's an interesting point that a child is being steered into a certain religion before they can even know anything, but they don't have to if they don't want to. I'm all for choice, i think it's unfair to force a religion upon your children because it's what you believe. But hey, i don't really see the point in religion at all - it seems to have done more damage than good.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I'm all for choice, i think it's unfair to force a religion upon your children because it's what you believe

Surely every kid gets brought up with what their parents beleive, religiously or not. Some mums don't like their kids eating sweeties or watching TV after 9pm, Christianity is probably just another way of parents bringing up their kids.

Once they hit a certain age then they'll be able to do what they want anyway.
  • Options
    If I recall correctly, Baptism has to do with your parents wanting to bring you up in the Church and Confirmation is when you yourself decide to become Christian for life. Or something along those lines.

And I agree 100% with Bri-namite's point about parents bringing children up with their beliefs, both religious and non-religious.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    i think it's unfair to force a religion upon your children because it's what you believe.

In fairness, normal religious people like my mum (i.e. not nuts) want their babies christened because they believe that if you die unbaptised, you go straight to hell. It wasn't cause she sneakily thought she'd force the religion on me while I was too young to object. She thought she was saving my soul.

I was born to Catholic parents, they christened me and raised me as a Catholic. When I was old enough I decided I didn't believe, and I didn't want to practice, and they were fine with that. I think that's pretty fair. Would I class myself as Catholic still? Probably not.

I guess technically baptism does make you a Christian, but it's more about banishing your original sin, and your parents/godparents promising to raise you in the ways of the church.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    A Confirmation is when the Child decides for themselves they wish to live their life for God and takes a second cermony at about 14/15 where they agree to follow the church

Kids here are about 11/12 when they have their confirmation. Which is bullshit really, as they're hardly able to properly weigh the arguments for and against following the religion at that age.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    You are only a christian if you want to be one and believe in the same basic things that define christinity (God, and Jesus behing his/her son, dying for people's sins etc).
    Baptisement is required I guess (not entirely sure if I feel that way about it), but in no way is it enough to make you a christian.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    In fairness, normal religious people like my mum (i.e. not nuts) want their babies christened because they believe that if you die unbaptised, you go straight to hell. It wasn't cause she sneakily thought she'd force the religion on me while I was too young to object. She thought she was saving my soul.

:eek2: That doesn't sound a little nuts to you??:crazyeyes

And who said you needed saving anyway? Suggests you were born bad...:(
  • Options
    HanHan wrote: »
    :eek2: That doesn't sound a little nuts to you??:crazyeyes

And who said you needed saving anyway? Suggests you were born bad...:(
    That's catholics for you. No offense to anyone, but I dislike them even more than the orthodox.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Surely every kid gets brought up with what their parents beleive, religiously or not. Some mums don't like their kids eating sweeties or watching TV after 9pm, Christianity is probably just another way of parents bringing up their kids.

Once they hit a certain age then they'll be able to do what they want anyway.

Interesting comparision. Actually, you do have a point - it wouldn't be that much different to some rules parents have about what their kids can & can't do.
  • Options
    HanHan wrote: »
    Suggests you were born bad...:(

That's the basis of Christianity, though. Original Sin, Adam and Eve and all that malarkey...
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    That's the basis of Christianity, though. Original Sin, Adam and Eve and all that malarkey...

Think it's terrible! Fancy bringing a kid up to feel ashamed and guilty (without any real reason why) right from the start...:( You'll give them a deep rooted complex!! NOT a positive way to bring a kid up IMO....:no:
  • Options
    I've heard they're doing away with purgatory, so at least I can now not have my children baptised without my mum being worried about a baby dying and flying around in limbo forever.
  • Options
    I've heard they're doing away with purgatory, so at least I can now not have my children baptised without my mum being worried about a baby dying and flying around in limbo forever.

Catholicism done away with that decades ago. Bit stupid how they can just chop and change a religion as they please and suddenly whatever they say becomes the new "right".
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    That's catholics, not all christians. Since Jesus died people aren't born sinners any more, or at least that's what most non-catholics believe.
    Don't confuse catholics with christians.
  • Options
    That's catholics, not all christians. Since Jesus died people aren't born sinners any more, or at least that's what most non-catholics believe.
    Don't confuse catholics with christians.
    I apologise, I've obviously been reading too much Nietzsche ;).
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Catholicism done away with that decades ago. Bit stupid how they can just chop and change a religion as they please and suddenly whatever they say becomes the new "right".

Ah ok, I meant limbo, reported on fairly recently, got the terms muddled. linky
  • Options
    I thought Catholics are Christians? It's just a denomination of Christianity, just as the CoE is etc.
  • Options
    Ah ok, I meant limbo, reported on fairly recently, got the terms muddled. linky

Hmm :/ I was pretty sure they done away with limbo years ago too. We were never taught/told about it (in Catholic primary and secondary school) and both my parents seem pretty sure the Catholic church have pretty much denied it's there for ages.

EDIT: Further down the page on that article it says "It has not really been standard teaching for decades and it has not been part of official teaching since the early 1990s, when it was omitted from the catechism - the Church's summary of religious doctrine. "Most priests don't talk about the notion of limbo anymore. There is a understanding that it just simply doesn't wash with people," says Mr Walsh."

Explains it I guess.
  • Options
    I thought Catholics are Christians? It's just a denomination of Christianity, just as the CoE is etc.
    They are, but just because catholics believe one thing doesn't mean that all christians believe the same. Though you might have trouble understanding that not everyone in a group has the exact same opinion.
  • Options
    All Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholics is what I think he's trying to say :/