Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Brands - Help Me Out!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm doing a presentation on Product Management for Marketing. It's basically talking about brands, brand extensions etc.

One of the parts I'm doing involves explaining why people choose a certain brand and why they persist in buying that brand. So if I asked a few questions I'd be glad if you could reply.

1. What brand name products do you usually buy?

2. What makes you buy that brand?

3. Does price have anything to do with it? (e.g do you buy it because you believe by paying premium prices you get a better product?)

4. Does packaging have anything to do with it?

5. Say that one of your more favourite brand names brought out a new product. Would you buy that product because it has that brand on it? Would you have any expectations due to it having that brand?

6. Would you say that a well established brand product sets the standards for that product?

Comments

• Options
    I buy Pepsi Max cola

It is the king of colas, tastes the best and has no cals

I don't care that it's not the cheapest, or that it's more expensive, I'd buy it regardless

Yeah, coz it looks the best on the shelf, also has had some cool people promoting pepsi.

I would buy it to try, even if it sounded a bit iffy because I trust pepsi to make goooood products. I would expect it to not be nasty, even if I didn't like it.

Yeah it does. Pepsi sets the standard for colas, look at coke bringing out their coke zero to try to make a non-girly, still good tasting, diet cola.

you are welcome. drink pepsi.
  • Options
    I buy based on whether I like something or not, not because of the fancy label that goes on it.

For instance I used to like McVitees Jaffa Cafes but don't any more - I actually prefer the taste of the cheapest ones they do in Asda, same with the Asda version of pot noodles

I'm also smart enough to be able to read labels and knowledgeable enough to know what it means and will buy according to what I see written, for instance was looking at certain fruit juices from expensive well known brands but when I read on the ingredients that had artificial sweeteners it put me off buying it.

A friend of mine is total opposite and 100% into labels for instance he really likes the Nissan 350z but said he wouldn't buy it because of the name..

nissan-350z-front-side-silver-350-225.jpg

I also remember a time he was going for a really expensive packet of Salt - like 4 times the average price and when I looked at the chemical composition recognised most of it wasn't even real salt.

I'll drink something like coke or pepsi not for the brand but because I prefer the taste to most other cola's but not afraid to try other brands at least once.

However .. when it's a matter of safety I will go for a well known and trusted Brand .. for instance I just spent a small fortune on Michelin Tyres for my car when I could have got other less well known brands a lot cheaper.
  • Options
    I'm really not swayed by brands. Not at all. I'm so disloyal- one brand one minute, another the next, then I'll try the supermarket's own.... so no, brand power has little effect on me.
  • Options
    I think for me, it really depends on what the product is. For instance, I would find it difficult to buy own brand tampons, and pretty much always buy Tampax ones. Some things I'm not at all fussed by though. Other brands I like and would search out are Heinz tomato soup and Kelloggs Crunchy Nut Cornflakes. There are other products where they only exist in a certain brand, such as Sacla do a really nice olive and tomato pasta sauce which isn't made by anyone else, so I have to buy from them, but that doesn't mean I'm attached to that brand, just that particular product. I have no idea why I buy certain brands. Some things I think taste better as a certain brand (such as the tomato soup) but I'm sure others aren't much different, I'm just being picky :p
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey, gonna move this to We Need You as technically it's a survey. I know you're a regular but it's always good manners to ask permission for this kind of thing.

Brands I buy - Puma trainers, they're really comfortable.

Body Shop make-up, because I like the range, I like trying make-up in the store and I like using the discount card they give you.

Ben & Jerry's ice-cream - it's divine.

Cadbury's hot chocolate - you can't beat it

Green & Blacks - it's really rich and it's organic - yum.

I'd probably buy something new from cadburys - I'd have an expectation that it would taste really good.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote: »
    I'm doing a presentation on Product Management for Marketing. It's basically talking about brands, brand extensions etc.

One of the parts I'm doing involves explaining why people choose a certain brand and why they persist in buying that brand. So if I asked a few questions I'd be glad if you could reply.

Virgin, Innocent, Nokia

I like the brand image and in most cases what it stands for

3. Does price have anything to do with it? (e.g do you buy it because you believe by paying premium prices you get a better product?)
    Yes

In the case of Innocent yes.

5. Say that one of your more favourite brand names brought out a new product. Would you buy that product because it has that brand on it? Would you have any expectations due to it having that brand?
    I would buy the product just because it had the brand on it. I would expected the product to live up to the expectations I have of the brand.

6. Would you say that a well established brand product sets the standards for that product?
    Yes eg. Coca Cola

Your Welcome :thumb:
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Ooh, I forgot Nokia. I think I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to mobiles -I've never got on with any other brand.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Cadbury's hot chocolate - you can't beat it

Yes you can, with Twinings Hot Chocolate, its about 65% actual chocolate and kicks ass.
  • Options
    Hey **Helen** sorry about that, I didn't realise it could go here! I'll probably need to do more of these in future so I'll be sure and ask :thumb:

and cheers for your replies guys, much appreciated!
  • Options
    Food I try to go Fairtrade, although I refuse to buy Nestlé's Fairtrade mark products. As far as many products are concerned, I try to be as ethical as possible.
    Cosmetics, I don't usually buy.
    Shampoo/soaps ect - Green People and Lush
    Feminine hygene - I buy biodegradable pads
    Clothing - Charity shops baby! I hate clothes shopping
    Household cleaners - Soda crystals... The only washing up liquid I'll buy is Faith in Nature

The ethics behind them. For example, if you buy a product sourced from a developing country, or a product which has an ingredient like cocoa in it then unless it has the Fairtrade mark, it is very likely that exploitation (to the degree of slavery in the case of Nestlé, as alleged by the NI) took place to make that product. If you give to that company then you are encouraging and becoming a part of that exploitation.

As for other products, mainly environmental factors and issues surrounding animal cruelty.

No because I don't consume a lot and always go for quality products.

No, but I do try to buy products with less packaging.

Yes, if I needed the product.

Well ethically, yes.
  • Options

HBO dvds, converse trainers

Quality of the products, Rocky wore converse when training

The cheaper the better - I'd always look for a cheaper way to buy some HBO sets, or consider a converse rip off - long as it's close enough.

The less the better - I want the item in the end, not the box. So I'd say I'd spend no time considering the packing.

Only an expectation of quality - and if it didn't measure up I'd be reconsider the value of the products more closely in the future.

No, I'd say a quality product establishes an expectation for that particular brand - but not for the market as a whole - production is too broad, some knock offs are so cheap, markets are so wide I don't think brands have a significant influence on the other similar products around them.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote: »
    Samsung computer components
    Diet Coke/Pepsi
    Baxters minestone soup
    Nissan cars (okay my one and only car, but I did buy it because of the brand)
    Epson printers
    Walkers squares
    Microsoft software

Samsung: good reviews, computer engineer told me he's never had anything by Samsung fail, reasonably priced
    Diet Coke/Pepsi - prefer the taste - available everywhere
    Baxters - after extensive taste testing, I prefer this one
    Nissan - the insurance is cheaper compared to similar cars by other brands, because they assume you're a sensible driver if you own one. Also the value depreciates really quickly (because of the brand), which means when you buy one second hand, it holds its value quite well.
    Epson - my previous Epson has lasted the same time as three of my mum's other brand printers. Lots of cheap compatible cartridges.
    Squares - baked crisps shit all over regular crisps - and I don't know of many other salt and vinegar baked crisps.
    Microsoft - I'm forced to.

For certain product types, yes. Branded products are usually better than supermarkets "value" range, but often similar to their more expensive own brand range. With electrical products, I tend to look at reviews more than brands, but I find that often the branded product is more aethetically pleasing, even if it's fairly similar to the less well known brand in terms of quality.

Not in the products I buy regularly, or anything electrical. It probably has more of an impact on my impulse buying, but after that, it's more down to how much I like the product.

Probably with smaller inexpensive things like food and drink, where it's not the end of the world if you don't like it. I've tried all the Coke and Pepsi varieties.

From a business perspective, yes. But it doesn't always mean it's the best product.

Done.
  • Options
    1. What brand name products do you usually buy? Arizona

2. What makes you buy that brand? They have the absolute best green tea there is on the market.

3. Does price have anything to do with it? (e.g do you buy it because you believe by paying premium prices you get a better product?) Somewhat, they sell those 23.5 fl. oz. cans for 99 cents, which is awesome.

4. Does packaging have anything to do with it? No, but it does have a really cool package.

5. Say that one of your more favourite brand names brought out a new product. Would you buy that product because it has that brand on it? Would you have any expectations due to it having that brand? Yes, and I would expect it to me good.

6. Would you say that a well established brand product sets the standards for that product? Sometimes, although I'm not really found of the Lipton green teas.
  • Options

#If I am buying shirts then the Duffer stuff

#Because it fits well and is a nice material, I'm quite funny with the clothes I buy.

#I'd much prefer it if they were cheaper, I resent paying about £50 a shirt, reason for buying is above.

#No

#If your a fan of that brand and your happy with it then I guess you'd expect it to be as good as the other things that brand name has out, but no I wouldn't but it just because of the name.

#Yes