Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mid 20s and still living at home?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Apparently 60% of men and 40% of women aged between 20 and 24 still live at home.

See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk/6542031.stm

I find that surprisingly high. Do you still live at home?

I haven't lived at home since I was 17, I don't think I could stand it at this age, I really value my independence.

It would also really put me off a guy if he lived with his parents. One of my mates is seeing a guy who is 30 and still lives at home!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I no longer live at home, but if I wasn't living with my partner, I would consider moving back to save money to put towards a house rather than wasting it on rent, so I'm not really surprised by those figures.
    I moved out when I was 19.

My sister just moved out about a year and a half ago when she was 31.
    go_away wrote: »
    I no longer live at home, but if I wasn't living with my partner, I would consider moving back to save money to put towards a house rather than wasting it on rent, so I'm not really surprised by those figures.

I think it's a good idea if you get on with your family and there is space, to move back home while saving up.

A guy at my work did just that and now has bought a nice flat.

But a lot of people seem to just live at home and spend all their money and not even think about moving out.
    I moved out hen I was 16. Then at 18 me and my mum decided to buy a house together. Sold that and now we house share with 2 other people who are just like family to us both.
    But a lot of people seem to just live at home and spend all their money and not even think about moving out.

Some people just don't think carefully with their money - I know I didn't a few years ago. I know plenty of students at my uni who live with their parents, waste their money away in Selfridges and Narvey Hicks, then moan about being poor when they have to buy books. :rolleyes:

But that's another rant ;)
    i'm still at home

for now haha
    I've been officially moved out since I was 18, although i have spent a few months each living with both my parents (they're divorced). I couldn't move back again, I like my independence too much. I also wouldn't get much choice about moving back, neither of my step-parents would allow me to!
    im seventeen and in a full time job so hopefully if i have enough money ill be out of home by about eighteen/ nineteen ? but im not sure how unrealistic my plans are ... i just want some independence !

I know a man who is 27 and still lives at home hes quite fit but such a layabout!
    I'm trying to move out ASAP. But whilst I'm at uni its difficult, especially with friends down here and me up there.
    I'm not surprised at those figures at all. To get anywhere approaching decent, you're looking at quite a large cut of your wage for most people that age, and it's essentially money down the drain. It's just another symptom of everyone being priced out of the housing market. That and the fact that few people get married that young, which seems to be when most people buy their first house. I'm not surprised at all by the number of people who'd prefer to save a fortune living in a house that's usually twice as good as anything they could afford to rent. But yeah, a lot of people do it, and then spend the money on nice clothes and going out, rather than saving for something.

But yeah, I preferred living on my own at uni, it's just a case of finding people to move in with at the precise time to fit your plans (or having plans in the first place in my case). That's easy in uni, not so much outside.
    I moved out when I was 18 to go to uni and then moved back when I was 22. Been living at home for 9 months now. I really want to move out but I can't until I get a steady job.
    Maybe you're getting more European.

Many of my mates in Spain still lived with their parents by the time they were 30. They way they see it, who'd want to walk away from cheap rent and good food and care from mum? :D

Seriously though, property is very expensive in Spain in relation to what people earn down there, and there has always been a mentality of letting your children live with you for as long as they need (within reason- after 30 questions might begin to get asked).
    I've just turned 23 and I still live at home. It worries me a bit sometimes when I think about it, i really do want to move out but I know I would barely be able to afford it. Also I go travelling as often as I can and I'm planning another trip soon I know that I wouldnt be able to do both!

I'd muh rather save my money and go travelling at the moment rather than have my own place. Luckily my mum and dad are really laid back too and I do pretty much what i want...I'm not spoilt either, i make most of my own food and do my own washing and ironing, and housework, etc. I've lived away from home for 8 months when I lived in Menorca and I definitely wanna move out at some point. Just dont know when!
    I bought my place May last year, couldn't even consider living back at home...even tho i loved it when i was at home.
    it doesn't really surprise me, you save a fortune living at home but it's not really an option for some, i moved out 5 years ago and i get restless just staying for the odd week over the holidays.
    I'm 20 (nearly 21) and live at home. I'm just starting uni in sept, so I'm definitely gonna be living at home for the next 2/3 years.

I'm not fussed. I enjoy the company of my parents and the respect they give me in regards to privacy etc, which is ext. big of them, considering they don't ask me for rent.

I've never had a proper job and won't until I'm fully qualified, so it's just not financially viable to move it.
    I think that the longer time spent on studying and the rising house prices are both major factors in this. I don't find it particularly strange or abnormal. Afterall, a while ago it was pretty standard for generations to live under the same roof.

I do love the independence of living on my own, but I'm at home now and I like that as well. I'd be living all alone if I was elsewhere and that can get a bit lonely (I'm probably only saying that after spending 2 weeks in a huge empty house being a hermit! ;)).

I'm really grateful to have the support of my parents. Now I have about a year left of studying and meanwhile I can sort out my finances after dropping uni for something else and can hopefully manage to save some money before I start earning. My parents were quite happy to have me returning back home, too.

So nah, these figures don't surprise me at all. All my friends have been living with their parents, there's some change in the air now though but not a lot.
    I moved out when I was sixteen into various places with my boyfriend at the time. Surprisingly that went wrong so I moved back.

I'm 20 now and moving out to live at university in September. Looking forward to it but a little bit scared. My boyfriend still lives at home and is 26, he's studying for a PhD and with the pay that he's on can't afford to move out yet.
    I'm almost 21 and when I'm not at Uni, which is most of the time, I'm at home. I'm not looking forward to the summer! I'm doing a postgrad next academic year and it will take a year. Hopefully i will go straight into employment in a city somewhere. So after September this year i should be officially moved out. Fingers crossed. I couldnt stand to live here! It will cost a bomb to rent though. And i have no idea how or when i will be able to buy my own place. But i still at least hope to be totally out of my family home and the town where it is by the time I'm 22.
    I am hoping to move out when I've finished uni and am stable money wise.
    i left home at 19 and couldnt go back ,like my own ways too much..

a friend of mine moved back home after her divorce ,and she had a little one in tow..shes still there now ,4 yrs later ,and expecting baby no 2 ..:shocking:

she moved back in the 1st palce cos she dint wana b alone ,which personally i find odd ,as an adult if you cant live on your own with your child ,theres something wrong ,but ,hey!!:rolleyes:
    I started uni when I was 20, although I was still coming home in the summer for 3 months. I wouldn't count that as properly flown the nest yet.

I properly moved out (which includes moving all my belongings out) when I just turned 24.
    I'm 24 and wish I could live at home, or anywhere where I wasn't pissing money up the wall on rent.
    I'm moving out in a couple of months time, although I do live away from home at uni already. It will be "proper" moving out though, not going home for uni holidays. If I wasn't with my boyfriend though, after my next year at uni I would be moving home until I'd earned enough to move out.

With house prices so high at the moment I can definitely see why many people are forced to live at home still.
    Well I left home to go to uni when I was 18 and I stopped going home during breaks after my first year. I love my independence and although I will happily visit family, I do find it hard spending more than a couple of days with them at a time. I bought my house when I was 22 and it has got to be one of the best things I have done. My brother on the other hand is in his 20's and I doubt he will be moving out any time soon.
    The high cost of living, especially in cities like London coupled with university students who tend to live at home will account for this.
    I still live at home at 21. The rent prices/living costs are stupid and I just cant afford to move out on my salary. I get on well enough with my parents (for now) to still stay at home. I pay minimal rent but that allows to save my money up quite well.
    I'm 23, left home at 17 and haven't lived at home since and I haven't been given or asked for a penny from my parents since. I'm quite responsible and domesticated now, I manage on my salary and if I blow my money then it's me who has to suffer the week before payday. Good way to learn life skills IMO.
    I moved out when I was 18 when I left for University. I came home in the holidays in the first year but last year and this year, I've barely come home and stayed at Uni throughout the summer.

When I leave University next month, I don't intend to move back home. I don't have a room to come back to anyways as my brother has nicked it. I enjoy my independence far too much anyway. Whilst at University, I haven't had a penny off my parents so I've learnt how to be responsible with money and paying bills won't come as a shock to me.

I'm going to rent a place out as I hate committment and want to know that I can change things if I like. I don't really want to buy a house until I'm married so I won't really seeing renting a place out, as throwing money down the drain.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I still live at home and I'm 25. Lo

I was all set to buy a house at 23 but I got made redundant and my old dear died. I've had to live at home since just to support my old man till he sells the house - which should be this summer.
    Weekender Offender