Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gym rats unite!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There have been quite a few threads recently on fitness, gyms etc, I was wondering if we could possibly have this thread made into a sticky, so any regular gym users could talk about their progress, and if anyone else wanted to join in and ask questions it could be a good place for them too?

My progress is a little slow at the moment as I have a suspected fracture :rolleyes: but I'll put my stats up soon :D

Comments

• smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    I thought HIT was back for a second then!

Er..... i will post up my stats soon aswell and my progress over 3 months when i go on my intense one
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    go_away wrote: »
    There have been quite a few threads recently on fitness, gyms etc, I was wondering if we could possibly have this thread made into a sticky, so any regular gym users could talk about their progress, and if anyone else wanted to join in and ask questions it could be a good place for them too?

My progress is a little slow at the moment as I have a suspected fracture :rolleyes: but I'll put my stats up soon :D

Stats....................??? :D

I hope it's not a fracture - it's a bugger when you're starting to make good progress!!
    I don't remember HIT around here. I wasn't into the gym at the time :blush:
    Stats....................??? :D

You know: blonde, brunette.. I mean, the weights you do with each exercise etc. ;)

Really really hope it's not a fracture. I'm doing some basic movements with my arm so it's not always stationary, and when I turned it so my palm was facing down, I felt a 'rubbing' sensation in the bones. Eugh. Hopefully I can still do some HIIT on the bike, and maybe some lower body weights. I don't want my biceps to waste away :(
    You know: blonde, brunette.. I mean, the weights you do with each exercise etc. ;)

Blast................. :blush:;)
    Really really hope it's not a fracture. I'm doing some basic movements with my arm so it's not always stationary, and when I turned it so my palm was facing down, I felt a 'rubbing' sensation in the bones. Eugh. Hopefully I can still do some HIIT on the bike, and maybe some lower body weights. I don't want my biceps to waste away :(

At what point will you find out if it is a fracture or not? *fingers crossed*
    Tomorrow, I'm having another x-ray to confirm it as nothing showed up last week, apparently it can take up to 10 days after the accident for anything to show up. Buggeration.

Anyway, before all that, I had just started to squat, and was very pleased :D

Made good progress with the leg press too, up to 70kg (it's a lot for me :blush: ) I've got my other info written on a piece of paper somewhere. I'm sad :D
    Tomorrow, I'm having another x-ray to confirm it as nothing showed up last week, apparently it can take up to 10 days after the accident for anything to show up. Buggeration.

Anyway, before all that, I had just started to squat, and was very pleased :D

Made good progress with the leg press too, up to 70kg (it's a lot for me :blush: ) I've got my other info written on a piece of paper somewhere. I'm sad :D

You know - I don't really keep track of what I do! It can vary from workout to workout - how cabbaged I am/weekend activities/calorific intake. I have a rough idea though :)

70kg is a lot for a LOT of women, being honest!! Nicely done :D You could leg press me! Hahahahah

I seem to have been slapped with a couple of viral bug things this last couple of weeks and so have only had 2 workouts a week. Rubbish. I've still managed to bag some hectic weekends though, which again does me no favours. I'm having a quieter weekend this time around to get myself back on track.
    My stats were 202lbs 12-13% BF currently Im cutting trying to get that leaner look. I think i am now:

Weight: 193lbs
    Bodyfat: 11%
    Height: 5ft 11"
    Arms: 15"
    Thighs: 21"

Lifting Stats
    Bench: 90Kgs
    Bicep curl: 55Kgs
    Chest press: 72Kgs
    Flys: 56Kgs
    smitherz wrote: »
    My stats were 202lbs 12-13% BF currently Im cutting trying to get that leaner look. I think i am now:

Weight: 193lbs
    Bodyfat: 11%
    Height: 5ft 11"
    Arms: 15"
    Thighs: 21"

Lifting Stats
    Bench: 90Kgs
    Chest press: 72Kgs
    Flys: 56Kgs

Nice weights :D

I'm 5' 8"
    Currently approx 160lbs (Had 4 months off training - 3 months of which was pretty much pure partying so am at the bottom of the slope again :lol:)
    Bodyfat 10-12%. Unsure - need to get it checked again.
    Never measured my arms or thighs...
    70kg is a lot for a LOT of women, being honest!! Nicely done

Thank you sir! Took me a good 3 months to get to that stage. I grunt a lot when I do it, it helps me to keep my form ;)

*worship*

I can bicep curl... 6kgs :D
    If your looking to increase in strength then it is a good idea to have someone to go to the gym with so they can spot you, that way you can keep breaking past your limits.
    Thank you sir! Took me a good 3 months to get to that stage. I grunt a lot when I do it, it helps me to keep my form ;)

*worship*

I can bicep curl... 6kgs :D

Ah - the bicep curl. I think he's talking about using either a Z-bar or an olympic bar, hence engaging both arms :)
    Ah ok, I'm talking about those little dumbbells in each hand. Tempted to use the Z-bar for some stuff though, might try it out when I get the all clear.
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Nice weights :D

I'm 5' 8"
    Currently approx 160lbs (Had 4 months off training - 3 months of which was pretty much pure partying so am at the bottom of the slope again :lol:)
    Bodyfat 10-12%. Unsure - need to get it checked again.
    Never measured my arms or thighs...

You don't really need to measure your arms or thighs. However for females more commonly its to get that sleeker stomach and toned arms and legs. So in order to achieve this intense cardio workouts but to also include very light freehand weights for the arms and legs. Some people are lucky and have a high metabolism some haven't so it makes it that much harder to loose weight.
    Ah ok, I'm talking about those little dumbbells in each hand. Tempted to use the Z-bar for some stuff though, might try it out when I get the all clear.

The z-bar is a massively underused piece of equipment.

Get a trainer to show you some of the things you can do :D

... and on that note, I'm going to the gym :D

Yea i use the bar. There isn't even 55Kg dumbells up my gym. using the bells are good but i find there is more support using the bar, what ever works for you really, although i don't really do much in the way of biceps i concentrate more on my chest.
    Ah ok. I think our gym goes up to 47kg and the thud of those things when they hit the floor... (the guys never put mats underneath them to protect from damage)
    The floor should be made to support the drop of the weights TBH, especially in the weights area.

Anyways im off to the gym too :wave:
    Ok, bit of a rubbish workout but:

Leg press 150kg
    Barbell bicep curl 40kg
    Bench 75kg
    Seated row 90kg
    Barbell squat (free) 50kg - I forgot a small towel and so was hurting the back of my neck/shoulders (rubbing) so stopped.
    Romanian dead-lift 80kg

Still working up to usual form... I hate being ill and I'm not taking any more breaks! Just need to stop (slow down...) caning it on the weekends in the nightclubs etc etc
    Won't be lifting anything for 6 weeks, but at least I can do lower body weights.

Went in for an x-ray, was told an x-ray wouldn't show anything up (despite two doctors wanting me to have an x-ray) so they said they're just going to treat it as a worse case scenario, in my case, a radial head fracture. Then had a few minutes with a physio who told me nothing new: just keep it moving. What a waste of time.
    Won't be lifting anything for 6 weeks, but at least I can do lower body weights.

Went in for an x-ray, was told an x-ray wouldn't show anything up (despite two doctors wanting me to have an x-ray) so they said they're just going to treat it as a worse case scenario, in my case, a radial head fracture. Then had a few minutes with a physio who told me nothing new: just keep it moving. What a waste of time.

:mad: :crying:

That's just a waste of time AND resources. 6 weeks? Well, I'm sure you'll be going at it like a manic Scrat (from Ice Age) when you're back on the road! As you say, at least you can keep your lower body working, and you can also hammer the cardio (woo...). Hey, don't forget all the work on your core you'll be able to work on - plenty you can do without weights :)
    Ok I have a question.

I was taking part in a 6 week fit club at the gym and really noticably toned up, especially my upper half. But now that has ended and I haven't paid for a gym subscription. I am scared all the definition is going to go. I was thinking of getting some weights to use at home, does anyone have some recommendations for which ones/how many?

I'm not looking at buying a huge set, just a couple of smallish ones.
    katchika wrote: »
    Ok I have a question.

I was taking part in a 6 week fit club at the gym and really noticably toned up, especially my upper half. But now that has ended and I haven't paid for a gym subscription. I am scared all the definition is going to go. I was thinking of getting some weights to use at home, does anyone have some recommendations for which ones/how many?

I'm not looking at buying a huge set, just a couple of smallish ones.

It kind of depends on how much space you have.

I recommend this:

http://www.totallyfitness.co.uk/FitnessAccessories/FitnessKits/GG-G7816.htm

I have one and it's good for keeping things moving (and my girly housemate loves it) if you're unable to work out properly... It's not a long term solution though.

Also, a set of dumb bells will help. You don't really need anything specific, but again, Golds do a set.

But, the question is begged: Why not just get a gym membership???
    It kind of depends on how much space you have.

I recommend this:

http://www.totallyfitness.co.uk/FitnessAccessories/FitnessKits/GG-G7816.htm

But, the question is begged: Why not just get a gym membership???

Hmmm, I like it!

Well I had a gym membership for over a year. I just don't want to be signed into anything and am trying to save money. I'm also hoping, now it's warmer, to play tennis in the park and do stuff outside instead of being stuck in smelly gym.

:)
    Hahah - fair enough.

Surely there is a gym around there that offers a month by month membership package? Now you've seen the results happening, I reckon you'd end up going a lot more than you did :)
    You can get a pretty good set of adjustable dumbbells from Argos, for about £25, seems like a good investment.

here
    :mad: :crying:

That's just a waste of time AND resources. 6 weeks? Well, I'm sure you'll be going at it like a manic Scrat (from Ice Age) when you're back on the road! As you say, at least you can keep your lower body working, and you can also hammer the cardio (woo...). Hey, don't forget all the work on your core you'll be able to work on - plenty you can do without weights :)

Completely! If they had just done the x-ray, or not bothered doing it at all instead of sending me back. The doctor got really cross and rang a SPr to come down and examine me (another waste of someone's time) and then I heard lots of talking, and the doc said to me, "They're arguing the toss between them." Talk about feeling like a pawn!

Ah well, they said the lower body is fine to do, so I'll keep at that and hopefully keep burning the fat off my abs. I'm starting to get a 2 pack :D
    You can get a pretty good set of adjustable dumbbells from Argos, for about £25, seems like a good investment.

here

Aye - I have a set of those exact bells at home. Again, my girly housemate uses them as they're too light for me, but they served me well for years.

Just make sure when you buy them you don't have to carry them far to the car!! :lol:
    Aye - I have a set of those exact bells at home. Again, my girly housemate uses them as they're too light for me, but they served me well for years.

Just make sure when you buy them you don't have to carry them far to the car!! :lol:

I don't have a car

:mad:

I don't think any of the gyms round here do month by month schemes, annoyingly. My fit club was at fitness first and I wasn't impressed, the headphone sockets didn't work, and it smelled of sweat.
    Completely! If they had just done the x-ray, or not bothered doing it at all instead of sending me back. The doctor got really cross and rang a SPr to come down and examine me (another waste of someone's time) and then I heard lots of talking, and the doc said to me, "They're arguing the toss between them." Talk about feeling like a pawn!

Ah well, they said the lower body is fine to do, so I'll keep at that and hopefully keep burning the fat off my abs. I'm starting to get a 2 pack :D

:D Sounds good! For me, the abs are the last sign of shifting that last bit of flab. Just proves all the hard work is paying off :D

Well - even though they were pretty inept, by the sounds of it, at least you have some form of an answer from then - ideal or not...:eek2:
    To be honest, the doctor and physio were great, my doc was just really frustrated that radiology sent me back, so I'll never know what happened, he just said he'd have to clinically treat me as a radial head fracture. It's just a waste of time and resources, and creates a false economy, as someone else could have had that appointment. Ah well.

The most depressing thing was the conversation some people were having about interviewing jr doc candidates. A life abroad is looking better all the time!

Do you think it's worth me keeping up with my supplements. Six weeks of no upper weights, I'm worried I'll waste away