Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

First time I've been a bum!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
'Lo!

Yeah so I was made redundant last Friday there, and I'm going to have about 2 weeks off before I start looking for another job. I was nattering to me Mam and she says I need to 'sign on' to get JSA?

I'd feel SO greedy taking this, given I'll get my redundancy pay at the end of this month as well, but apparently it's to help pay my national insurance as well? The stamps?

I've never ever been unemployed since I was 16, I've always walked into another job so I'm a bit perplexed.

Help? :razz:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah you have to sign on. Go to the local job centre, it gets paid from the day you go in, so the sooner the better.

How much redundancy do you get? If it's more than £3,000 you may be unable to claim benefits.
    katchika wrote: »
    Yeah you have to sign on. Go to the local job centre, it gets paid from the day you go in, so the sooner the better.

How much redundancy do you get? If it's more than £3,000 you may be unable to claim benefits.

It's £3,739, and £869 in my pension. I'll pop down tomorrow and have a chat to them.
    Even if they won't pay you any JSA due to your redundancy payout it's probably worth signing on for your National Insurance contributions.

I know all they do is credit you at 0% so it doesn't benefit you financially, but if you spend more than a month or so signing on it stops NIC's coming back to you later (sometimes years later!) and asking what you were doing for that period. Also if you ever make a claim to any NI based benefits such as incapacity benefit etc it means they will have a complete record for you.
    Welcome to the real world ;)
    I was a bum inbetween dropping out of 6th form and starting the job Im at now ..
    Its alright for a few weeks but i always found its better if i got up ealier in the day (about half ten anyway) so i didnt just slump around in my pjs all day eating special kay and watching day time tv and running up the phone bill to all my fellow bums ...
    Being a bum taught me two things :
    1) i could put the beans in the microwave for as long as it took to toast the bread thus making beans on in under five minutes
    2)day tim TV adverts ironically always seem to be the ones for Debt Help, Loans, Employment or Training

Enjoy !