Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

7pm Thursday expert money chat

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
:wave: If you're having trouble managing your finances, are worried about debt, or would like tips on budgeting... come along to our chat on Thursday 12th April.

We're pleased to announce that Elinor Quinn, (AKA Girl With Sharp Teeth on the boards) an experienced debt counsellor working in the Newcastle office of Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) will chatting live to answer your questions. The CCCS is the UK's leading debt charity. Last year its helplines received nearly 300,000 calls and it is helping over 73,000 people to repay £2.2 billion to their lenders through debt management plans. Elinor's previous experience includes work for NHS direct.

If you don't think you'll be able to make the chat, but would like Elinor to answer your question, feel free to post it here and we'll make sure it's included on the night. :thumb:

Here's the link: http://www.thesite.org/realchat/client/chat.jsp

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    *bump*
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Can we not just PM her? ;)
    I don't have trouble managing my finances - it's just that I don't have any :lol:
    12th April is the day my bank want me to pay them the money I owe them with the 20 quid charge they've put on it. Trouble is i have nothing! I think may need this.
    I'll be getting 4K on the 25th, so I'll have all my debt cleared. Wahey!
    Mse has everything i need to know.
    Tweety wrote: »
    Mse has everything i need to know.

that place is a life saver.

I only :rolleyes: have about £2.5k left of debts now. It will all be gone by Jan 2008!!
    ButtonMoon wrote: »
    that place is a life saver.

I only :rolleyes: have about £2.5k left of debts now. It will all be gone by Jan 2008!!

2012 for me, roll on Olympics :D
    Ours will be about 2011
    Are you including a mortgage?!

My problem with MSE is that i do really well, save lots of money, then go on to the 'bargain' boards and decide that what i really need is a £399 hd-ready flatscreen 32" tv. Grr. Damn them!

Has anyone else tried using quidco.com? I'm making about £5 a month through it... wish i'd known about them when i was buying my car insurance really.
    apart from morgage, am i the only person NOT in debt :O
    Hellfire wrote: »

:yes:

(or one of the few)
    Calvin wrote: »
    :yes:

(or one of the few)
    I guess I've been lucky, I watched my dad plunge my mum in to debt, then sort it oyut only for her to fuck up again,

One thing I've never got/will get is a CC card,
    I guess I've been lucky, I watched my dad plunge my mum in to debt, then sort it oyut only for her to fuck up again,

One thing I've never got/will get is a CC card,

Thats what i said about credit cards, but there so tempting when you want something.

Looks like you have learned from your parents. Stay clear of credit cards any you will be fine.

:thumb:
    Well when me and my partner opened our joint account, I got asked if WE wanted a 10G card, Said no, then I got asked personlly if I wanted one in my own name, of course, I said no,

a £200 overdraft is all we have, and we've not used it so far. so all is well there, I think I can survive the temptation.
    Calvin wrote: »
    Stay clear of credit cards any you will be fine.

They're great if you use them sensibly.
    They're great if you use them sensibly.

True, but I couldn't
    Not all debt is through being stupid with money though.
    Tweety wrote: »
    Not all debt is through being stupid with money though.
    I agree, I guess the common non stupid debt is

morgage,
    car payments,
    CC (not over the top)

alot of people seem to have that combo
    Nope :cool:
    Glittery wrote: »
    Nope :cool:
    yay :D

and even then the morgage, TECHNACLY isn't in either of our names
    What would you call 'not over the top' CC debt though?

I have car payments (although it's on a personal loan rather than finance, much cheaper that way!), a student loan which is about £20 a month and i don't see it anyway cos it comes out before i get my pay, and minimal CC debt. Plus we're applying for a mortgage at the moment.

TBH, i wouldn't count a mortgage as debt. I'd think of it more as 'part paid-off investment' :)
    yeah, as you always have something (well normally) have the house which is of the value of the morgage.

No
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I dont think I will be able to make it, but I would like to ask if she feels there is likely to be any problems getting a mortgage whilst being in £20k's worth of debt, and how long I will need to have been working for before I can apply for a mortgage!

Thank you :) x
    I think the answer to the first question is that it depends what type of debt it is, and the second is that as long as it's a permanent position (ie, you're not on a fixed term contract or still on your probationary period), you should be ok.

But i'd check with someone else as well :)
    I'm about £13k in debt I think. But all of that is student loan so I guess it doesn't count as it comes out in pitiful installments from my salary. Apart from that, I'm not a financial liability.

I have a credit card that only gets used in emergencies. Did come in handy a couple of times I must admit but I'd never use it out of habit.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I think the answer to the first question is that it depends what type of debt it is, and the second is that as long as it's a permanent position (ie, you're not on a fixed term contract or still on your probationary period), you should be ok.

But i'd check with someone else as well :)

It is student debt, but £12k of it is a career development loan because you can't get a student loan for a Post Grad course :grump:
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    *bump*
    Helen? For the people who are not able to make the chat is it possible for it to be saved and then posted and reread at a later date?

I have a feeling there will be some useful info dished out tonight and I'm offline at the moment.