Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Not doing anything - lack of energy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, got back from uni, supposed to be job hunting, well have picked up a few but because I'm at home all the time my energy levels are falling so much. Like, I feel like I could hibernate. I have left the house once today - and that was to walk to the car to bring in mum's shopping.

But having less energy means I want to go out even less. It's a vicious cycle. I keep putting things off because in my mind I can't do them until I've done such and such a thing (but I could easily if I tried!). For example; I haven't done a CV because I don't have MS office on my PC because my HDD failed a few days ago so it's getting replaced, and short of using norton ghost, I'll have to reinstall everything afresh on my computer anyway! I know it's pathetic really, just need some willpower, and something constructive (and preferably active) to do.

As for exercise, always want to get into it, never have :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you aren't alone. think i'll sit on the sidelines and read the replies!
    I hate getting in that position..esp when im at home the only people i basically know is my family! But once you start getting into a routine of going out it isnt so bad.
    Cant you build up CVs at job centres? or join the local library where they poss have computers?
    I always found asking my parents if they wanted anything from uptown a good way to get out of the house. perhaps set targets?
    Oh the same with me. How is the weather out? On the one nice day I went for a walk. Didn't really want to but just kinda forced myself and even though it was short and leiserly, it really gave me a boost and brightened my day.
    I know this feeling well ShyBoy; usually for me it's when I've been depressed.

Unfortunatly there's no magic wand to wave. You really just have to break the vicious cycle. It's bloody difficult but you could try something like: set your alarm to get up at the same time every day (say 9 o'clock for example); then while you're having breakfast write a list of things that you have to do that day, and just do them... talk to yourself out loud if you have to. I've found I am more likely to make myself do stuff if I tell myself to outloud for some reason.

The less you do stuff, the more you'll feel sluggish and won't want to do stuff... Even just going for a quick 5 minute walk every day will make you feel more refreshed and give you some energy back; so if the thought crosses your mind like 'I could go for a walk'... don't just sit there thinking it over and over, go out!

I know it's probably not much help, but you really can't make yourself do stuff other than just doing it; if you see what I mean... it's just finding ways of making yourself make yourself do things.... :chin: I'm going to shut up now. :D
    Yeah, i was going to say something similar - the problem is, if you don't do anything then you get more lethargic and then you feel less like doing anything and the cycle goes on. I find i've got more energy now i'm working full time than i did when i was a student, just because i'm getting up and doing things all the time!

Try getting up at a reasonable time every day - it doesn't have to be super early, maybe around 9.30? Get showered and dressed as soon as you get up, so you don't slob around all day in your dressing gown :) Then find things to do - even if it is just giving your parents a hand, or ringing up some job agencies or going into town to see if there are any adverts in shop windows, or mowing the lawn or tidying your room... etc etc. It doesn't have to be for the full day, but once you've got something done in the morning you feel a) more energised and b) not as bad about playing on the internet all afternoon! (or doing what i do, 'job hunting online'... aka playing on thesite!)

The other thing is that if you tried to write your CV in a different location - the library or something, then you might be more motivated and less distracted :)
    Been on holiday, chilled out for a bit, got up at 9 this morning and was raring to go :). But still, it's FINDING things to do, there's only so much I can do. I don't like going town, because well, it's Leicester, and it costs £3 for a day ticket :(. But I've sorted out some packages and stuff :).
    I've got the energy to go out but just couldn't be fucked! :D
    My friend was diagnosed with diabetes, and then obviously he had to change his diet. He said after that he had much more energy. I'm not saying you have diabetes, but a lot of people claim that they have a lot more energy after changing to a healthier diet. And a lot of people claim that after exercising every day for a while, they get really irritated if they're just sat there doing nothing. You have to force yourself at first, but it might be worth it. As for finding things to do, think about something you might like to do, but never got round to it.
    a lot of people claim that they have a lot more energy after changing to a healthier diet.

:yes:

Is there anything you've been meaning to do for a while but haven't got round to doing?
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Been on holiday, chilled out for a bit, got up at 9 this morning and was raring to go :). But still, it's FINDING things to do, there's only so much I can do. I don't like going town, because well, it's Leicester, and it costs £3 for a day ticket :(. But I've sorted out some packages and stuff :).

Well done for getting a bit more motivated. :thumb: