Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Iran

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    A few tactical missile strikes would show them who's boss though.

Depends on whether we want the sailors back or not. Perhaps after they have been returned? ;)
    we always go the diplomatic route and try to placate them, shake hands, make tea, be nice to everyone, one day Tony Blair should just slap the Iranian PM / dictator / whatever they have in power with a big wet fish.

Exactly. Diplomacy has it's place and that is when both sides play by the same "rules" of the game. If you don't then the gloves should come off, if appropriate.

When one sides is allowed to ride roughshod, and people are keen to appease the trouble maker, you end up with large scale wars.

I don't, however, think that we have reached that stage yet in this case.
    Assuming we had the capability to perform such a feat (which, from people's thoughts in this thread, I guess we don't)

Not sure why people think that we don't have such a capability... :confused:
  • Options
    Like I said, it's a complicated situation. The way I see it, the propaganda ministry works quite well (often citing Allah's will as a justification, rather than anything else) and the Iranian populous isn't too happy with 'the west' in general. As far as they believe, British spies have been captured, (from what I've read) and I expect a fair proportion of the population hope they get hanged as infidels. Though I do apologise for any generalisations or straying away from the pc-path.

Any action we take AGAINST Iran will further inflame situations in the middle east, where many of the Islamic nations feel united 'under god', and as such a threat or insult against one results in effectively a jihad with mass hatred (and even war) against the enemy. For example; Israel. Although I have to say Israel has no respect for human rights whatsoever, basically abducting whoever the hell they like from wherever the hell they like and holding them for an indefinate amount of period, or just executing them on the spot. Anyway...

If you were running the country, it's a balancing act. Obviously, first priority is to get our soldiers safely out of Iran, one because they are British soldiers and we have a responsibility to look out for them, two because they are one big ass political pawn, and we really don't like them being held over our heads.

Second priority, is making sure the situation in the middle east doesn't get any worse. I mean, Iraq is basically in a civil war already, the US and UK are trying to solve the problem with more soldiers, but there is already terrible war weariness in the UK (and now growing in America) where every extra soldier going over there means less confidence in the government when we said we were going to go in, give them 'democracy and freedom', then get out.

And all the while, politics in a democracy, at the end of the day, is about who can do the most PR stunts and in turn, get the most votes. Blair has not too long left now, he wants a good legacy, and then Iran pulling stunts like this (lets be fair - even if they DID stray inside Iranian waters, arresting them and questioning them is way OTT 'in the name of God') is probably meaning he's thinking 'little twats, lets just press the red button' too.

The UK, politically, is very vulnerable, with near global opposition to the Iraq war, with it appearing we're a puppet state to the US, with repeated scandals (cash for honours), and I think possibly the Iranian spinmen saw this as an opportunity to exploit that, and so Iranian boatmen were on the lookout for British mariners to take in. Certainly, if French mariners strayed into our waters whose standing orders would it be to capture them on sight?

So, as the saying goes, we're stuck between a rock and a hard place. The people will hate [the government] either way, many middle eastern arabs already do, but this kind of thing isn't going to endear us with them. Sure, America, France, Germany - our buddies - are all going to back us up and have a slanging match at the UN thing coming up, but they were going to do that anyway. Metaphorically, Iran has just thrown a great big egg at the face of the UK, they'll only get a slap on the wrist for it. A war may be around the corner, but lets face it - GWB has had that on the cards for years anyway.

So I guess tactically, PR stunts like this which get British and American citizens saying 'we're giving them democracy!!! - why should we help them if they treat us like this' is one of the only ways to strike back. There's no way of competing in terms of military might.

What I don't like, is that's it's all so underhand. It's like (forgive me for this) Israel. 'Yea, it's wrong, but oh well'. So since Israel has been pestering Iran for years (tbf it's mutual these days) you can't really say it's unexpected. In times of 'war' (and I think there is a war of ideology, not with guns but with media and spin, basically) you do have to stoop lower to get ahead.

But, give the PM a bottle of Bourbon, and let him press the red button, I could understand his frustration. 'FOAD I'm not in the mood' is the term I think :)
  • Options
    :shocking: :crazyeyes :shocking: :crazyeyes :shocking:

WOW and some of you guys are concerned with global warming.

Dr Strangelove eat your gloved hand out !
  • Options
  • Options
    How decent of him.
  • Options
    They're free.

Storm in a teacup if you ask me.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote: »
    They're free.

Storm in a teacup if you ask me.

Wars have been started for less I'm sure.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Did a war start? No.

As I said - storm in a teacup. A bit of sabre rattling and things go on as before.

meh
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Did a war start? No.

As I said though wars have started for less and it could have snowballed. I think it was definately something to be concerened about.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It was, but not anymore. Storm in a teacup.
  • Options
    It's a storm in a teacup now they're free... though if you're one of the sailors or their families I imagine that teacup wasn't very nice to be in.
  • Options
    At least they were treated well...unlike how the US treats its PoWs.
  • Options
    And unlike Iran treats its own prisoners when there's no propoganda in it...
  • Options
    If only the UK had made similar efforts to free the British citizens illegally captured by the US and sent to a prison camp indefinitely...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    If only the UK had made similar efforts to free the British citizens illegally captured by the US and sent to a prison camp indefinitely...

Going on 'holiday' to see the Taliban is a bit different to serving in the Royal Navy.
  • Options
    Going on 'holiday' to see the Taliban is a bit different to serving in the Royal Navy.

What are you on about now?
  • Options
    Thought this was an interesting read .. I do agree Britain does look weak these days and usually seems to be nothing more then the United Stated Robin to their Batman.

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShowStory.asp?story=DB535924V&news_headline=britain_humiliated_by_iran_over_hostages
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    What are you on about now?

Who knows? Dis seems to get more and more detached from reality every day.
  • Options
    To be honest Dis's point seems pretty clear to me...

But then I don't have reading comprehension problems
  • Options
    Enlighten us then.

I presume its something to do with the assumption that anyone arrested in Pakistan must have been at Taliban training camps - despite there being any evidence for it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    It doesn't really matter what they were doing (as it turns out, most of them weren't even there to 'see' the Taliban, let alone join them). The point remains they were illegally snatched and taken to a concentration camp in legal limbo thousands of miles away, detained illegally, subjected to torture, deprived of basic human rights, and then one by one released without charge.

All of which prompted not even 1% of the protestations that the government has uttered regarding the 15 servicemen, who by all accounts have been treated in a far better manner than the poor sods rotting away at Gitmo.

This might be unacceptable:

83469_1.jpg

But this is a million times worse and more repugnant:

guantanamo-21.jpg
  • Options
    Enlighten us then.

I presume its something to do with the assumption that anyone arrested in Pakistan must have been at Taliban training camps - despite there being any evidence for it. :rolleyes:

You think they just picked up people at random then? I agree the process is flawed, but the idea that these were just random people going about their daily business is laughable.

And yes there is a difference between servants of the state being held and anyone else. You could equally say that the British Government isn't doing as much for the British oil rig worker currently kidnapped in Nigeria or the BBC journalist kidnapped in Palestine...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »

This might be unacceptable:

83469_1.jpg

But this is a million times worse and more repugnant:

guantanamo-21.jpg

Don`t assume.

In your first example could it be that the "prisoner" is being forced to inhale evil tobacco ?

In your second those folks may be being protected from DEADLY second-hand smoke .
  • Options
    You think they just picked up people at random then? I agree the process is flawed, but the idea that these were just random people going about their daily business is laughable.

Where's the evidence then?
  • Options
    So, obviously, kidnapping british soldiers is justified because our government is just as bad? :rolleyes: Seriously, this was a PR stunt by Iran. I won't defend guantanomo as I've signed numerous petitions to the UK and US governments, to no avail. But really, we can't rubbish the ordeal our soldiers had to go through because we're just as bad. Maybe Tony Blair doesn't have the moral high ground, but I haven't condoned anyone being kidnapped, and I think it's awful to compare one illegal act to another and say one is worse, therefore we shouldn't worry as much about the other.

They'll be home in 40 minutes anyway.
  • Options
    So, obviously, kidnapping british soldiers is justified because our government is just as bad?

Who said it was justified? :confused:
  • Options
    seeker wrote: »
    Don`t assume.

In your first example could it be that the "prisoner" is being forced to inhale evil tobacco ?

In your second those folks may be being protected from DEADLY second-hand smoke .

Don't be ridiculous.
  • Options
    I haven't condoned anyone being kidnapped, and I think it's awful to compare one illegal act to another and say one is worse, therefore we shouldn't worry as much about the other.

Would you condone legal kidnapping ?
  • Options
    Who said it was justified? :confused:

Well noone, apologies for my rhetoric. What I meant, was it was poor to take a different issue and imply this wasn't that bad in comparison. Yes we should condemn people being taken thousands of miles and detained indefinately without trial, but just because our government does that, we shouldn't let that overshadow how wrong this was, how inhumane. Whether they were treated well or badly, they were still prisoners, against their will, for something they did not do.

Seeker: what would you define as a legal kidnapping? Kidnapping is a crime, and thus inherintly illegal. That's like saying would you condone a legal murder.
  • Options
    seeker wrote: »
    Would you condone legal kidnapping ?

Well it was legal as far as the Iranians are concerned. If a Iranian patrol boat came into what we considered to be British waters, then we'd do exactly the same thing - demand an apology and then release them. It was definitely a PR stunt, but imo the Iranian president's come out of it looking like a bit of a tool. It was so obviously about drawing a parallel between Guantanamo and the way Iran treats its prisoners, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn that this was the plan all along (let's face it, the Iranians know that those waters are at least disputed, so they can claim legitimate reason to arrest them).