Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

what ya think of emo moshers and goths

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im just wondering coz theres a lot of things wid trends nowadays like emo guys wid emo fringes arerealy hot! unall ut what u wanna kno what is the hotest looking trend on a guy for gals and i kno like ot depends on thier body and face but surely even ugly guys look hot in diffrent trends i thnk it same wid girls like and just so you kno im a mosher/goth person:thumb: :banghead:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    First of all I like guys that can articulate themselves -that includes typing so that I can understand what they are saying.

Secondly, if a guy is clearly following a trend to make him appear cooler than he is, it's rather easy to spot and avoid. Self esteem is attractive and decent clothing is spot on. I feel I'm a bit too old for wannabes. I loved that when I was 12, but it faded quick like.

Wear something that makes you look and feel good. Find your own style, don't copy blindly what some magazines/websites make you believe is the ultimate thing as the outcome is usually rather tacky.
    (soz for the miss spelling) i mean i wont class my self as a wanna be wat so ever i was just wondering wats the sexyest type of group type thing ive allways whanted to be what i am but i still dont feel gud innit i kinda hate ma self type thng thx anyways
    If you are not content with who you are as a person it is unlikely that clothes will change that. HOWEVER, it IS true that clothes do help peopel feel good about themselves so you should definitely wear something that you like and suits you. It's not a specific type of clothing, necessarily, but rather something that makes you look decent.

If you feel you have low self confidence you should make it your top priority to work on that. It'll take a while but it's so worth it. You should make it a daily routine to pinpoint some positive things about your life. I kid thee not, it works!

Like I said before, I don't feel attracted to any 'group' of men, especially as at my age there is less emphasize on fitting in. Normally, confidence is a far more important factor. I'm not saying clothes don't matter at all but rather that if they're chosen properly they don't matter. I only notice it a lot if the guy has a dire taste.

You could try to go shopping and before you buy something, try all sorts of clothes in different stores. Pick both stuff you normally go for as well as something you've not tried. You can get a really good insight into what kind of clothing suits you if you try enough of it! It can also be nice if you have friends that could give you a second opinion. I also know that my mum always give me straightforward criticism if she sees me trying something on she hates. :lol: It's all about being open minded and spotting what suits you and your lifestyle.
    There's a lot of fashion I've skipped purely because I saw I could never pull it off! Tragic for me but much better than a fashion disaster. ;)
    I tend not to go out with the types that are "oh look at me I'm an emo, goth, chav" etc etc. I like people who have their own sense of identity even if they dress closely along the lines of stereoptypes, over do it and you can fuck off. :thumb:
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    ricky_southall, please stop typing in txt! Have a look at the Good Manners Guide to see why. Cheers.
    Let me get this straight, you want to fit yourself into a certain category/style because it's regarded as the hottest looking trend? Jeez.
    I think they are depressing.
    (soz for the miss spelling) i mean i wont class my self as a wanna be wat so ever i was just wondering wats the sexyest type of group type thing ive allways whanted to be what i am but i still dont feel gud innit i kinda hate ma self type thng thx anyways

Let me get this right .... you want to fit into a certain stereotypical role? At present you're a goth/mosher (whatever that may be; I'm 27 and don't have a fucking clue) BUT you hate yourself and you think that emo's look good. I reckon you've already sorted it mate. You know what you wanna be.

Seriously though, just wear what makes you happy. Who gives a shit whether you fit in with a particular trend or not. Why shouldn't you wear one type of clothes one day and another the next? There are no rules. That's what makes fashion so much fun. Don't let Trinny or Susannah hear you say that though.
    I like guys who don't follow a typical trend. Emos, goths, chavs ect usually look greasy and dirty. Especially goths, they all seem to have greasy dyed black hair thats long and scraggly :yuck:
    the look annoys me, I don't like it - but live and let live it's their choice and it's fuck all to do with me
    As with any other trend, some look good and some look shit. It's more down to how well dressed you are generally. I think that a girl who's really into her fashion would probably look better dressing gothy, than someone who always dressed like that but doesn't have a clue. But most people on this thread would see that as fake I guess, since she was creating a style rather than being herself?
    I really dislike the current emo trend. Taking that many pictures of yourself and photoshopping them to every inch of it's life does not constitute as healthy in my book.
    Wear whatever clothes and hair style make you look and feel good.

Forget the trends
    I don't really have an issue with kids in their teens going all emo or mosher, cause it's obviously a phase. Sure they're annoying if you're next to them on the train, but then most hyperactive teenagers are.

Once you hit you're twenties it gets a bit sad though. A general rule of thumb is the more like Russell Brand you look/dress, the more of a fanny you are. It's every bit as attention seeking and as much of a phase as it would be if you were in your mid-teens, it's just easier to pass it off as you having found your own indiviual style - the one that every other trying to be trendy indie kid just happens to wearing.

Best to stop trying to be rock 'n' roll and snap out of it - else you'll end up being one of these losers in their thirties who hold candlelit vigils on Kurt Cobain's birthday etc.
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Once you hit you're twenties it gets a bit sad though. A general rule of thumb is the more like Russell Brand you look/dress, the more of a fanny you are. It's every bit as attention seeking and as much of a phase as it would be if you were in your mid-teens, it's just easier to pass it off as you having found your own indiviual style - the one that every other trying to be trendy indie kid just happens to wearing.

How is it a phase if you're still doing it in your 20's? Loads of people call my friend a goth because he happens to wear band t-shirts and baggy jeans most of the time. What is it about wearing t-shirts of a band you like that makes you an attention seeker?
    How is it a phase if you're still doing it in your 20's? Loads of people call my friend a goth because he happens to wear band t-shirts and baggy jeans most of the time. What is it about wearing t-shirts of a band you like that makes you an attention seeker?

I didn't mention band t-shirts though?

I was meaning more the whole skinny jeans, "quirky" hairstyle look, it's generally sported by people who think they're more interesting than they actually are, cause they've got 49073520474867567 scene girls lusting after them. It screams "look at me, I'm interesting" when they're just doing it to be seen to be trendy.

Less and less people I know around my age have their own individual style nowadays (most of them think they do though), most of them just follow the crowd - wich happens to be the indie style at the minute.
    You said they're attention seeking. But they're also following the crowd? How does that work? I would reckon that's more trying to fit in than be original. Though I do agree that a lot of people from this scene have a heightened opinion of their own originality. But I think that the main aim of anyone who dresses in a particular way (comforming to a particular group of stereotype) is to fit in first. The rest of it is secondary.

But the thing I was on about was the people in their 20's (moshers and emo's as you put it). If someone is still dressing this way in their 20's (and I referred to my friend because he has the typical mosher look - band t-shirts just happen to be part of that), isn't there a chance that they're just wearing the things they like and feel comfortable in, rather than trying to make some sort of statement, or trying to appear alternative?

I also don't like the idea that it's a phase (like the story Corrie attempted to do). I don't know anyone in the world who suddenly decided "I'm going to be different" and became the one goth person they knew. It was mainly a result of friends hanging out sharing interests and eventually having similar styles of clothing, as is the case with chavs, or any other stereotypical group.
    I don't like them. all black, ragged, lip piercing, black long hair over half your face so you only see one eye - and I am talking about the boys here. It looks retarded in my opinion, and it's generally pretty annyoing.
    I canny stand emo moshers or goths. You see one, you've seen them all. Glasgow Central Station is full of the wee fannies, as well as behind Borders book store.

I DO however lovelovelovelovelove scruffy indie boys and make no qualms about it. Give me a lad who looks as though he belongs in The Strokes or Kings Of Leon any day, ta. ;)
    You said they're attention seeking. But they're also following the crowd? How does that work?

It can be a bit of both. Everybody can see a lot of emo's in every High Street - they're dressed and styled distinctly enough to be noticed , but then they start blending in because there's so many of them.

It's also something that's done as part of rebellion to their parents - you'd be surprised how many people in their twenties who blame their life's ills on Mummy and Daddy (but have been spoilt rotten since day one) and feel the need to be part of a "scene" to rebel.
    But the thing I was on about was the people in their 20's (moshers and emo's as you put it). If someone is still dressing this way in their 20's (and I referred to my friend because he has the typical mosher look - band t-shirts just happen to be part of that), isn't there a chance that they're just wearing the things they like and feel comfortable in, rather than trying to make some sort of statement, or trying to appear alternative?

Absolutely, but is your mate into traditional "mosher" music, by any chance? I've not met many dance music obsessives who dress in mosher gear, for example.

Sure, some people probably do feel comfortable in clothes like that, so fine. But it's when people have moulded an image for themselves (emo/mosher/indie kid) and conform completely to stereotypes by the music they listen to etc, and it does my box in.

It's actually really sad that people can't think for themselves as much anymore.
    I also don't like the idea that it's a phase (like the story Corrie attempted to do). I don't know anyone in the world who suddenly decided "I'm going to be different" and became the one goth person they knew. It was mainly a result of friends hanging out sharing interests and eventually having similar styles of clothing, as is the case with chavs, or any other stereotypical group.

When I say phase, fashion would've been a better word.

It's trendy to be into the whole indie culture now, but the same people who're making out they've been into all these bands that NME are telling them to listen to for ages, were listening to Busted and the Black Eyed Peas two years ago. It's why indie bands try and make themslevs look kooky by playing an "ironic" cover of a pop song, it's cause it's the same stuff all their new found fans were listening to a couple of years ago.

That was a bit of a tangent, but the point stays the same - the more non-conformist kids (and people well into their twenties) think they are, the more conformist they actually are because the cultures they embrace are so mainstream.
    Actually, no. Brian, change the record.
    just wear what you want and what you feel comfortable in

dont try to fit in with any particular style or trend just be yourself

i am and i wear what i want when i want (if you read "boxers" on the style & appearance board youll find out what i mean) apart from specific times (again read the "boxers" thread)
    Doesnt really bother me tbh, wear what you want.
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    That was a bit of a tangent, but the point stays the same - the more non-conformist kids (and people well into their twenties) think they are, the more conformist they actually are because the cultures they embrace are so mainstream.

That's the point though. Whilst the odd teenager might dress like this and bang on about how alternative they are, the vast majority, especially when they get into their 20's, are dressing like they are because it's what they feel comfortable in, and what all their friends wear. The only people who claim they are trying to be alternative are the usual judgemental twats who assume these things based on their appearances. It's no different from assuming that because someone wears a tracksuit with a huge logo on it, they must be trying to show off about the brand they can afford. Maybe they just like the design?
    thats like me i dont wear stuff because my friends do

as far as i know none of my friends (who are boys) wear girl boxers and i dont really look to see if the girls wear them

i wear girl boxers because its what i feel most comfortable in and not because im trying to fit in a 'trend'
    I'm not conforming to the non-conformists...NOT! :shocking:

Fuck sake, everyone knows teenagers try to fit in, some turn out to be goths/emos/indie kids, other chavs/townies, and some are just geeks. As you get older you tend to dress casually, I have sporty clothes, I have going out clothes. Nothing too "OH LOOK AT ME...I'M AN INDIVIDUAL!" Pure Bollocks!
    Erm what is an emo ?
    That's the point though. Whilst the odd teenager might dress like this and bang on about how alternative they are, the vast majority, especially when they get into their 20's, are dressing like they are because it's what they feel comfortable in, and what all their friends wear.

The vast majority of people generally - yep.

The vast majority of groups like moshers and emos dress that way because the bands they see on TV dress like that, so they want to be seen as part of that particular culture - next thing you know all the kids on the high street are gothed/emo'ed up to the max. It's because these bands present themselves as being a bit quirky and different and people want to be seen as the same, it's nothing more than a gimmick like Gareth Gate's spiky hair, cause they know people will buy into it and see it as something more than it is.
    It's no different from assuming that because someone wears a tracksuit with a huge logo on it, they must be trying to show off about the brand they can afford. Maybe they just like the design?

Probably true in a lot of cases, but nobody's ever been described as emo just because of one piece of clothing - it's the whole look that they go out of their way to try and perfect. Hair, eye make up, clothes ,even the way you act- you end up looking so bizarre that you blend in with the rest of the bizarre lot.

Point is, people who dress in a certain way are conforming to stereotypes, even though that often spits in the face of the very "scene" that they're trying to be a part of.
    I can't stand the Emo look or the Goth look....fucking retards. When I was like 15 I used to listen to alot of Metal and Rock and I used to wear baggy jeans, band t-shirts and had long hair for a bit...but it was hardly anything extreme. I grew out of that when I was like 16 but I never took it to the extreme anyway.
    I've been called many things in my day, mainly Greebo, Goth and even Hippy when I was obsessed with flared jeans and tye-dye tops when I was about 12.
    These days I don't care what people call me. I dye my hair black, wear black flares and black tops. I'm in my early 20's now and I'm still just as individual as I was when I was 15/16 when I dyed my hair purple and wore black lipstick *although, ashamedly, I might add! crinnnge.*

Guy wise, I'm definitely attracted to a type - Yes, I like gothy guys. Some Emo guys are naturally good looking underneath all the 'I hate myself so I'm going to hurt myself' bravado so occassionally I'll find myself lusting after them, but I wouldn't know where the bravado stops and the real boy starts, which is a bit crappy.

Generally though, I like any guy who's got a decent face (by decent, I mean drop dead gorgeous) whether he's a goth, greebo, indie or mosher. If we're into similar sorts of things, then great. But if he's totally into his Ford Focus with full bodykit and dance music then I'm somehow not interested no matter how goodlooking he is.

To conclude, gimme a guy who has a baby face, a hot body, wears band tee and baggy jeans and I'm a'droolin'.

Edited to add: If a guy's ugly, then he'll still be ugly no matter what he puts on his body. Harsh, but true imo.