Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

bipolar disorder

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sorry, didn't want to make a new thread about this ...can you have symptoms of bipolar disorder without the suicidal thoughts? Say you have most of the other symptoms...?
  • Options
    i dont really know halloween as i never mentioned suicidal thoughts to my counsellor and she reckons i have it i doubt it matters i mean everyones different-hope your ok
  • Options
    Halloween wrote: »
    Sorrycan you have symptoms of bipolar disorder without the suicidal thoughts?

Yes. You don't have to be suicidal to be depressed, although it's a very common factor. The main point of bi-polarity is the mood swings, which are often quite violent. Not violent in that you want to hit people, although excess agression is a common symptom in bi-polarity and depression in general, but the way in which someone some can litterally be on the floor crying and wishing to never of existed to suddenly feeling so elated they think they could take on the world.
  • Options
    yeah maybe-went to see my counselloer today (self harm etc etc) and i had already mentioned to her about being higher than a kite last week and a few of the other times and she started speaking about it today and said that she reckons i have a mild form of bipolar heading towards more severe-she reckons i dont need medical help with it yet though so im not sure i believe her-anyway sorry to go on

With all due respect, your counsellor is not a psychiatrist, not even a GP. He/she is not trained in diagnosing mental disorders and is not able to prescirbe/suggest/monitor drugs for people or their use.
  • Options
    i dont know im sorry i think she just trying to find a reason for the way i feel like i do cos i guess im not much help as i dont know-sorry-she getting me to fill in some mood diary to record my feelings and stuff but i dont know how to cos i dont realise when im feeling some things or sometimes even what im feeling-i just dont understand i hate myself so much why cant i just be happy-i just want to feel the highs i do cos i enjoy them so much but then i come crashing down to this the pit that i just cant get out of im just stupid and a waste of space im sorry
  • Options
    Maybe do what i said. Go see your G.P. for a referal to a psychiatrist. Get a proper diagnosis and maybe a course of medication.
  • Options
    im really sorry i really am just want to die and not be here and to be able to forget this sorry
  • Options
    bi-polar is just a generic term and not every case is identical.

My wife suffers from a form of bi-polar and takes medication for it. Unfortunately the medication can have side-effects so obviously we want to keep her on the minimum dose possible. In addition some of the medications can have effect on pregnancy.

When she becomes "ill" it starts off as a "high" for her - she becomes carefree and will often go on a spending spree. She will stop taking her medication and say nothing matters anymore. On the last occasion she actually got ill she started neglecting certain duties too, and subsequently she has been put on a 2nd medication which stabilises her mood swings, but means that now she cannot consume any alcohol at all.
  • Options
    subsequently she has been put on a 2nd medication which stabilises her mood swings, but means that now she cannot consume any alcohol at all.

But isn't it like that with nearly every medication anyway?

I seem to exactly the same eith my mood swings. What makes it worse is that one minute I can be happy and the next I'm not and all I want to do is self harm. (which is actually the only thing that will calm me down)
  • Options
    We have to watch out for the signs but sometimes it is hard to see, although perhaps I should heed the warnings better. Although she would not do anything to actually harm the baby, last time it did appear that he hadn't been fed.
  • Options
    Older anti-depressants(which are only used if really neccessary) you cant even eat cheese while taking them.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    Older anti-depressants(which are only used if really neccessary) you cant even eat cheese while taking them.

You what?!

I know with certain medications you can't take them with something else as one of them doesn't work properly, but never heard of anything like this.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    But isn't it like that with nearly every medication anyway?

I seem to exactly the same eith my mood swings. What makes it worse is that one minute I can be happy and the next I'm not and all I want to do is self harm. (which is actually the only thing that will calm me down)

self harm is something i use when im not feeling which can be during a high or a low makes no difference

hope your ok

thanks
  • Options
    I'm not too bad thanks. Apart from experienceing modd swings for the last month or so.

How would I get tested for something like this? is it just a case of talking to the doctor or would it be someone else?
  • Options
    Mood swings for a month?
    Im sure even rapid-cycling bi-polar is only more than 4 episodes of mania in a year.

The older types of AD known as MAOI's have this warning
    "You must not consume foods that are rich in the amino acid tyramine while you are taking this medicine. This is because the combination could cause a dangerous increase in blood pressure. An early warning symptom of this is a throbbing headache. You should only eat fresh foods, and avoid food that has been matured in some way or is suspected of being stale or ?going off'. Foods that you should avoid include cheese, yeast extracts (eg Oxo, Bovril, Marmite), brewer's yeast, fermented soya bean products, eg soy sauce, hung game, pickled herrings, liver, dry sausage (salami, pepperoni etc), broad bean pods, avocado, caviar, peanuts, excessive amounts of tea and coffee, and alcoholic drinks or non-alcoholic beers, lagers or wines. You should also avoid these foods and drinks for a further two weeks after stopping treatment with this medicine. You can get further advice from your pharmacist."

They also interact with SO many things and some need refrigerating.
  • Options
    On & off for a month.
  • Options
    who deosnt!
  • Options
    Sofie, are you sure it's bi-polar not PMS?
  • Options
    I suffer from severe manic depression. I am bipolar I, which is where you suffer from mania, then occasionally with have a bout of depression.

Bipolar disorder is terribly hard to live with, as I struggle every day to find correct medications/doctors to fit my own personal needs.

I recently had an episode in which I came extremely close to losing my life. :(
  • Options
    Sofie, are you sure it's bi-polar not PMS?

Cheeky sod.
  • Options
    I suffer from severe manic depression. I am bipolar I, which is where you suffer from mania, then occasionally with have a bout of depression.

Bipolar disorder is terribly hard to live with, as I struggle every day to find correct medications/doctors to fit my own personal needs.

I recently had an episode in which I came extremely close to losing my life. :(

you ok now-well as well as you can be-how long since you were diagnosed
  • Options
    you ok now-well as well as you can be-how long since you were diagnosed

I was diagnosed a little over a month ago. I had always known there was something "wrong" with me.. then I became addicted to Xanax, which can counterreact with bipolar disorder and I basically went nuts.

I am currently prescribed to Lamictal (a mood-stabilizer), Seroquel (another mood-stabilizer/anti-psychotic), and Valium (for anxiety and insomnia). I'm fairly satisfied with all 3. And yes, I am doing much better :)