Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Exchanging Goods Without Receipt

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Question about Law.

Got a product, a game. It's started cracking from inside to out which I'm lead to believe is due to a problem with the console itself. The shop i bought it from won't exchange it or do anything without a receipt, even though it has the shops barcode sticker & price sticker on it, even though it's common knowledge the product is about nearly 5 months old.

Are there any consumer laws which can help me get an exchange here ?

Comments

• Options
    edn1 wrote: »
    Question about Law.

Got a product, a game. It's started cracking from inside to out which I'm lead to believe is due to a problem with the console itself. The shop i bought it from won't exchange it or do anything without a receipt, even though it has the shops barcode sticker & price sticker on it, even though it's common knowledge the product is about nearly 5 months old.

Are there any consumer laws which can help me get an exchange here ?

Did you pay with a credit/debit card ?
  • Options
    This happened to me last year. The people at Dixons (Currys Digital, now) had to look through the records on their computer and were asking me some questions about it.
  • Options
    No, you don't need a receipt, but it makes life easier.
    The short answer is no, what you do need is proof of purchase. This could be a cashed cheque or credit card counterfoil or even a witness who saw you make the purchase (in Scotland you will need a witness).

However having a receipt will make your task very much easier and it is obviously the best proof of purchase you can get so look after it until you are sure that the goods are OK.

From here

Yes, i know it's a Scottish site, but it's the same in England.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    No, you don't need a receipt, but it makes life easier.

From here

Yes, i know it's a Scottish site, but it's the same in England.

I AM from Scotland :p:D So means all the more.

I do have a witness. I didnt however purchase it from Dixon's/ Currys.Digital, It was from HMV and they do not keep records in-store of sales like DSG do.

And i think i paid with my Debit card.

What's so annoying is that all i want is another copy of the game, it broke through no fault of the user [mine] so it should be considered for exchange, course we all know these companies don't want to be helpful after taking your hard earned money.
  • Options
    If you piad for it with a debit card then wouldn't that be on your statement?
  • Options
    Debit card payments would both appear on your statement with the name of the shop and would be on the retailers end of day summary. So if you can find it on your statement you can tell them when it happened and they will have it in their records.
  • Options
    NB do not exchange the item.

Ask for your money back and purchase the same item again. You only have the rights enshrined in the Sale Of Goods Act for purchases. If you exhange something and it goes wrong then legally you are screwed.
  • Options
    NB do not exchange the item.

Ask for your money back and purchase the same item again. You only have the rights enshrined in the Sale Of Goods Act for purchases. If you exhange something and it goes wrong then legally you are screwed.

Now THAT i did not know, thank you :)

Now all i need to do is dig out the bank statements for the period when the game was bought and I'm sorted ... which is not an easy thing at the moment !
  • Options
    Normally when things break I email the distributor (whoever publishes the game) and they're normally quite good :). But HMV should still honour it, if you paid on your debit card then that should be fine.

Tell you what though, monkeys seem to be taking over the service sector. Went into a bank, and because we didn't have a UCAS letter (lost it) we printed off the UCAS website thing. And the lady was just like 'what's this... I don't understand...'. If someone with two brain cells worked in a CS service job one day I'd be much happier. Because, contrary to what they tell you, they don't have to jump through a million hoops, they're just not sure what they're doing. Experienced CS people use their discretion more and it makes the customer happy, making you more likely to shop there in future, etc. etc.