Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pills if you're in a bad mood

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm sure I've posted something similar a while ago, but I was just gonna ask about people's experiences.
I find I'm constantly stressed at the moment (final year of uni etc), and I just don't really seem to have a good time when I take drugs anymore.
It's not because of tolerance or anything, and to be honest, I leave weeks between taking pills because I'm busy with my studies.

How much of the drug experience is psychological? I realise taking an E isn't gonna be a magic cure and make the night great when I've gone out feeling in a bad mood, but surely it should help in some way?!
I'm also finding lately that it's making me want to go to sleep! If I've had a pill I'm alright for a few hours then I just want to go home and crash, whereas I used to wanna go to afterparties and stay up all morning.

Also, I wonder whether it's the people you're with. I only really take them with my boyfriend and a couple of our mates. But in the last 6 months, things have been difficult between us and I guess it's just not as fun going out and getting wasted together anymore. Maybe it's just the stress, or maybe I just can't be arsed with drugs anymore.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Pills should always make you feel happier but obviously it helps if you're in the right frame of mind. As for wanting to fall asleep on them, that's why you should do some Speed aswell.
  • Options
    Pink Soda wrote: »
    I'm sure I've posted something similar a while ago, but I was just gonna ask about people's experiences.
    I find I'm constantly stressed at the moment (final year of uni etc), and I just don't really seem to have a good time when I take drugs anymore.
    It's not because of tolerance or anything, and to be honest, I leave weeks between taking pills because I'm busy with my studies.

How much of the drug experience is psychological? I realise taking an E isn't gonna be a magic cure and make the night great when I've gone out feeling in a bad mood, but surely it should help in some way?!
    I'm also finding lately that it's making me want to go to sleep! If I've had a pill I'm alright for a few hours then I just want to go home and crash, whereas I used to wanna go to afterparties and stay up all morning.

Also, I wonder whether it's the people you're with. I only really take them with my boyfriend and a couple of our mates. But in the last 6 months, things have been difficult between us and I guess it's just not as fun going out and getting wasted together anymore. Maybe it's just the stress, or maybe I just can't be arsed with drugs anymore.

Any thoughts?

When I've taken pills in the past, I've found taking them completely free of any worry makes the experience alot better. I'd stay away from the drugs until you get things straight. I did for a month (a month out of my entire life is nothing!) and I've come out feeling 100x's better. I can do pills now to have a good time, not because I want to forget about life and its ball aches for a night. Your problems will still be there the next day. Problems do seem alot easier to think about on pills and they seem easily resolved, but the next day you realize that they're still there and the comedown only makes it worse.

I don't do them unless I feel happy within myself and how life is going.

I'm sure things will settle down for you, they always do.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Pills should always make you feel happier but obviously it helps if you're in the right frame of mind. As for wanting to fall asleep on them, that's why you should do some Speed aswell.

Ouch, if she's already feeling stressed and a bit down I wouldn't recommend doing pills and speed. You're only lining yourself up for the motherfucker of all comedowns. Any time I've done that combo it's taken at least a week before I feel any way normal again. Not worth it, especially if you're already under stress.

Pink Soda, mood is everything when you're taking pills. When you're feeling a bit shit they aren't going to have the same effect and you're only piling on the misery with your subsequent comedown. You need to be in a good state of mind and perhaps you should lay off until the stressful things like uni are out of the way. I know next year when I'm in my final year I'll be staying off the drugs sesh as much as possible.
  • Options
    As much as people say mood effects the pills, and I'm sure it does to an extent, I can't completely agree.

Afew months ago my bf of 2 years dumped me, completely out of the blue and in a horrible horrible way. I was gutted. Then I was given lots of mdma (bear in mind it was good old pure mdma, the pills you are taking will have something to do with the differing effects) and it was close to the highest and happiest i've ever been....
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I have to disagee here, the setting - who you are with, where you are and how you are feeling - has a huge impact on how you feel when you take drugs.
  • Options
    I agree with LJ and Addict, surroundings, atmosphere and your own mood play a huge part in the effect you're going to feel. Personally i find pills and coke accentuate the way i'm feeling. If i'm feeling a bit down, out of sorts, then i just get depressed and withdrawn. If, on the other hand, i'm feeling upbeat and positive i have a really good time.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote: »
    I have to disagee here, the setting - who you are with, where you are and how you are feeling - has a huge impact on how you feel when you take drugs.

Oh yes I totally agree, it's never as good taking pills in a bad mood. However what I was saying is that they still put you in a better mood, if not good, because at the end of the day the chemicals are still working and giving you that Euphoria and feeling of Ecstasy. If you're in a bad mood when dropping though, yeah you do tend to get really emotional and sad because of the reason you're in a bad mood....but you kind of don't care because you're so mashed and that's what makes it great....if you get me?
    But yeah if you don't feel comfortable when taking pills then it will affect your trip.
  • Options
    If you arent enjoying doing it, then dont. You certainly dont have to.
  • Options
    Always found that whatever mood i'm in at the time with have an effect... best only to take them when you are feeling up for it and not trying to cover up negativity
  • Options
    My mood used to effect my experiences on pills hugely, and I used to feel like I wanted to crash out a lot sooner if I'd been feeling stressed or upset beforehand, too. You're definitely not alone there. I actually generally found in the last couple of months I was doing them regularly that I never really got that buzz or felt that euphoria even when I was in a grand old mood... really pissed me off, to be honest.

That said for some people they are just out and out uppers and they do the trick whatever their emotional state, I know people who do sometimes drop to take them out of their funk for a while... and it definitely works for them. It must just depend from one person to another, you have to know your own body and decide to yourself that if they're doing you and your current mood no favours then it's probably wiser to steer clear. If they're not proving fun anyway then it seems even wiser. I'm sure that - if you want to - you'll get back to a place where they have the same effect as in the good old days. Give it time, and listen to your body - it can tell you a lot more about what you should and shouldn't be doing than anyone else really can :thumb:
  • Options
    To the OP, you mentioned in another thread on the Study forum that you are also taking prescription drugs for anxiety and sleeping pills...maybe they aren't working well with whatever illegal drugs you are taking?

I imagine mood plays a big part and if the pills aren't working then it might be your body trying to say something? As Richard Ashcroft sang, "The drugs don't work, they just make you worse..." If you are stressed out with uni and the moment I would lay off for a while until you're feeling better.
  • Options
    silverhalo wrote: »
    To the OP, you mentioned in another thread on the Study forum that you are also taking prescription drugs for anxiety and sleeping pills...maybe they aren't working well with whatever illegal drugs you are taking?
    QUOTE]

Well yeah I take beta-blockers and the odd valium (but not for a while). The beta-blockers I just tend to take when I need them now, and they only really have short-term effects so shouldn't be affecting any drug-taking at the weekend or whatever. I think it is generally stress and my mood that is altering the experience - gonna lay off til after I finish uni i think, less than 2 months to go :)
    Cheers for the replies guys.