Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hypothetical question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Lets say it's the last day of the season. Your team has already won the league. Your biggest rivals are sitting in lets say 3rd place and out of champions league football (I understand this probably means 4th or even 5th in the Premiership but I'm in Scotland so :p ).

Your playing the 2nd place team and victory for them would guarantee them the 2nd spot.

Do you field a crap team with the full expectance to beat and "get one over" the rivals?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    If there was nothing riding on it for my team I would give some youngsters and fringe players a run out for experience.
  • Options
    Do you field a crap team with the full expectance to beat and "get one over" the rivals?

Of course. My team's success is the most important thing. But their failure is a close second. Unfortunately, I can't see it happening for us any time soon.
  • Options
    I would probably let them win - already won the league so I guess in one way it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Hmm..tough one. Not ethical but would be a laugh like.

Some riots if that happened between Caltic and Rangers. :lol:
  • Options
    Lets say it's the last day of the season. Your team has already won the league. Your biggest rivals are sitting in lets say 3rd place and out of champions league football (I understand this probably means 4th or even 5th in the Premiership but I'm in Scotland so :p ).

Your playing the 2nd place team and victory for them would guarantee them the 2nd spot.

To cut to the chase - I know plenty Celtic fans who'd happily lose to Aberdeen after the split if it meant the Huns not getting Champions League next year.

I'd be the same if it was us :yes:
  • Options
    yeah nowt wrong with that unles youre going for an unbeaten season record or something. give some young players a chance.

if youve already won/qualified, then youve won the right to field who you like, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Hmm..tough one. Not ethical but would be a laugh like.

Some riots if that happened between Caltic and Rangers. :lol:

That's what sparked it off. I'm playing Football Manager and won the league donkeys ago. Last three games of the season where against Aberdeen, Hearts (both at home) and away to Dundee Utd. Celtic who were in 4th place and needed to win against Hearts, Dundee Utd and Hibs and had to hope that the dons lost two of their remaining games.

Needless to say I fielded all my young players out of position and lost the games all so Celtic missed out Europe.

Oh and the Ginger Whinger lost his job.
    :D
  • Options
    Of course you'd consider it. If your biggest rivals ended up missing out on CL qualification it would really hurt them financially and weaken the side for next season, meaning you have a better chance of success at their expense. Throwing the game would be unsporting, but it would be a good opportunity to give your under-17 B's a run out. :D
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    A few years back when we Saints were in the relagtion battle with Norwich and WBA, we needed to win and both teams to lose.

WBA were playing Pompey, our only rivals. On the day a significant amount of Pompey cunts bought WBA shirst and were seen cheering WBA from the stand.

WBA won, Norwich lost, but it didn't matter anyway. We were beaten by Man U.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    If it meant fucking Rangers over, aye.
  • Options
    That's what sparked it off. I'm playing Football Manager and won the league donkeys ago. Last three games of the season where against Aberdeen, Hearts (both at home) and away to Dundee Utd. Celtic who were in 4th place and needed to win against Hearts, Dundee Utd and Hibs and had to hope that the dons lost two of their remaining games.

Needless to say I fielded all my young players out of position and lost the games all so Celtic missed out Europe.

Oh and the Ginger Whinger lost his job.
    :D

didnt realise you were on about football manager. lol
  • Options
    It does depend though. If it meant they were gonna get relegated and you'd already won the league, then that'd be a bit harsh (plus it's not as good without the derby games). But if it was a choice between them getting into the Champions League, and being in a better position to challenge you next season/compete with you for signings in the summer, and not, then I'd knock them out of it.